Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 12:57 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,430,606 times

Advertisements

Salmon is going to get a new store. I read in a business publication earlier this week that Midwestern-based Shopko is going to open a small store in Salmon. I can't remember if this store will be built from scratch or occupy an existing building.

It will be a fraction of the size of the Idaho Falls store, but this will be good for Custer County Residents and those visiting the area.

From a business perspective I've got to give props to Shopko. Similar to what Cabela's started doing last year, re-sizing stores and maybe changing some items carried will be a way some Big Box stores continue to grow

Shopko.com doesn't have this info yet but for those interested I'd encourage you to follow when the store will open via the website.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 06:26 PM

119 posts, read 93,938 times
Yeah, this came out last summer.

Shopko planning to open store near Salmon | Post Register

It is going to be a new build and they are already hiring. Supposed to be opening this spring.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:25 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Salmon is going to get a new store. I read in a business publication earlier this week that Midwestern-based Shopko is going to open a small store in Salmon. I can't remember if this store will be built from scratch or occupy an existing building.

It will be a fraction of the size of the Idaho Falls store, but this will be good for Custer County Residents and those visiting the area.

From a business perspective I've got to give props to Shopko. Similar to what Cabela's started doing last year, re-sizing stores and maybe changing some items carried will be a way some Big Box stores continue to grow

Shopko.com doesn't have this info yet but for those interested I'd encourage you to follow when the store will open via the website.

MSR
Good information to know for future reference.
Scott

Old 01-16-2015, 06:49 PM

318 posts, read 515,954 times
Quote:

.... Indeed good news, not only for the good folks in Challis (Custer County) but especially to the people in Lemhi County (Salmon).
.... More & more pluses for a person like me to continue considering Salmon for retirement.

.... Thank you for the fine news, Mtn. States Resident, appreciated.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:33 PM

Smile Yw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandHills View Post
.... Indeed good news, not only for the good folks in Challis (Custer County) but especially to the people in Lemhi County (Salmon).
.... More & more pluses for a person like me to continue considering Salmon for retirement.

.... Thank you for the fine news, Mtn. States Resident, appreciated.

SandHills,

Welcome to the Idaho Falls sub-forum. We look forward to having you join our discussions, if possible.

I realized a few hrs. Later I'd written Custer instead of Lemhi County. Oops. It's been a rough week physically. I'd had little sleep. At least I didn't write Owyhee or some non-bordering county
Residents from both counties, as well as those traveling, will probably all benefit.

Feel.free to look and comment about the development thread and what is coming to Idaho Falls. It is always great to have additional perspectives.

Around here I go by MSR. Please feel free to use that nickname for me.

Again, it is good to have you post in the Idaho Falls sub-forum, SandHills. I hope we see a lot of posts from you.

MSR

Old 01-17-2015, 12:27 PM

29,210 posts, read 22,341,507 times
I think Shopco has hit on a brilliant concept. There are lots and lots of small cities scattered all over the country, and particularly out here in the west, where it often requires a very long round trip to get items not usually carried in small town mercantiles, downsizing could be a very good way to increase a big chain's bottom line.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I think Shopco has hit on a brilliant concept. There are lots and lots of small cities scattered all over the country, and particularly out here in the west, where it often requires a very long round trip to get items not usually carried in small town mercantiles, downsizing could be a very good way to increase a big chain's bottom line.
I agree Mike. Actually Walmart did that with smaller, I think they were just named Sam's, and I could be wrong about the name. But they were grocery stores much smaller for those who wanted WalMart prices. Maybe 10% other, but like going to Albertsons or Smiths. That probably started five or more years ago.

Stores that can build different size stores will probably be the most successful in the future.

No doubt Shopko will be good for the Salmon area

MSR

Old 01-17-2015, 06:12 PM

29,210 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Small town stores need to be small town specialized. We'll see, I guess, if Shopco understands that fact or not.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:28 PM

318 posts, read 515,954 times
Quote:

SandHills,

Welcome to the Idaho Falls sub-forum. We look forward to having you join our discussions, if possible. ... Around here I go by MSR. Please feel free to use that nickname for me. ... Again, it is good to have you post in the Idaho Falls sub-forum, SandHills. I hope we see a lot of posts from you.

.... Thank you, MSR. Have got MSR backpacking equipment so your nick is easy to remember. Nice warm welcome from you, appreciated. Have got my sights set on Salmon, a fine place for my retirement, in my estimation. Soon...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls