U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-09-2014, 05:23 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 12,308,793 times
Reputation: 6280

Advertisements

I didn't search for my thread from 2013 with similar content as some things have changed for me and potentially businesses in E. Idaho.

What hasn't changed is I need a laptop no bigger than a 14 inch screen. I need a laptop not a tablet. I need to save a lot of attachments and documents I create with USB and/or burned discs. This would be a work computer so I'm not flexible in those needs. I want Windows 7 Pro, but could deal with 8 Pro that can be restored back to 7. It would be a plus to have a webcam, but not a deal breaker at this point. The weight of the computer is a deal breaker - might consider a 15 in screen if the laptop doesn't weigh 7 lbs.

I've been a Sony Vaio loyalist having owned four and using them until their demise made us part. I took great care of my laptops, I've just used them extensively.

Learning that Sony sold Vaio off in 2013 to an Asian company so Sony could just focus on desktop and Tablets was disappointing as no new models are yet being offered. Then with the hack into Sony movies this past weekend, my sadness about Vaios improved greatly.

I'm still not an HP or Dell fan. I have talked to experts who are still trying to sway my opinion on HP or Dell. Lenovo made a 14 " but there are some confusing things to me about what is or isn't needed. If any additional power whatever is needed I'd be concerned about the total weight. But, for the right size and weight I might even consider HP, Dell, Samsung, Lenovo or other.

Historically, I've bought my laptops mostly in person or directly from Sony. A colleague got one from Tiger Direct which was great. The office supply stores don't carry 14 " often. Ebay scares me to buy a computer. My colleague got a lemon from Ebay. Other websites like Overstock really don''t offer what I need. Thus Amazon, but it would be nice to see one first or buy locally.

I sound super picky, which is partially correct (about laptops and a few other things that really matter - - you can stop the Snickering to the one who is doing it right now ). However, as a few of you have known and kept this private at my request, I had a spine injury in 2013 so most of what I need is due to my spine.

Given my needs, where can I see computers in E. Idaho besides Best Buy? I know Walmart has some. Target's are all online. What about the college bookstores, Costco, Sam's Club etc.? I draw a blank on this one......I hope many have ideas.

I really need help on this and would appreciate any suggestions anyone can give me.

Thanks,

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 12-09-2014 at 06:30 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2014, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Shelley, ID
51 posts, read 61,185 times
Reputation: 38
Check out Woot.com. I have had great luck with them. They only list a few items at a time so you might have to wait to get what you want. They post new deals at 11pm every night.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 09:01 PM
 
385 posts, read 462,636 times
Reputation: 136
I'll admit, it was I who was snickering. I'm confused why you would give up on Sony.

sounds like you're like me and you want to physically touch a laptop before you buy it. personally, I don't like to order electronics "sight unseen" off a website. you may want to check out Staples or Office Max here in town as they have several models on display at all times.

I'm a Lenovo loyalist, but I guess there's no need to turn this into a "which laptop manufacturer is the best" thread.

and if your only requirements are Windows 7, a USB port, an Office suite, a CD burner, and relatively lightweight, then the possibilities are truly endless!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 11:40 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 12,308,793 times
Reputation: 6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by finsfan21 View Post
Check out Woot.com. I have had great luck with them. They only list a few items at a time so you might have to wait to get what you want. They post new deals at 11pm every night.
Thanks finsfan21. I've never heard of that site before. I'll check it out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 12:46 AM
 
8,440 posts, read 12,308,793 times
Reputation: 6280
Wink Ha, Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
I'll admit, it was I who was snickering. I'm confused why you would give up on Sony.

sounds like you're like me and you want to physically touch a laptop before you buy it. personally, I don't like to order electronics "sight unseen" off a website. you may want to check out Staples or Office Max here in town as they have several models on display at all times.

I'm a Lenovo loyalist, but I guess there's no need to turn this into a "which laptop manufacturer is the best" thread.

and if your only requirements are Windows 7, a USB port, an Office suite, a CD burner, and relatively lightweight, then the possibilities are truly endless!
Ha, Ha, tmp4, I'll never tell who I meant. Most know I'm a perfectionist about most things. I prefer to think of perfection as a positive term. Big business did, but I'm not sure every employee I've ever had appreciated the same level of perfection. My strengths are not in training and re-training staff who haven't matured to a certain level. I do better with those who could sort of understand the big picture and how many levels of bureaucracy I had to deal with including the FDA, international corp headquarters sometimes in Japan and always in Switzerland and other EU Countries.

Yes, you summed me up well. I like to hold a laptop first before I buy it. I trust if I order a CD from Amazon I'll get what I ordered. Only once did I get sent the Asian CD instead of the English version. It looks cool to see those signs and not have a clue what song was going to play

I haven't given up on Sony. The Asian company that purchased Vaio hasn't produced anything new during the time they've owned the Vaio unit. I hope they do produce new Vaio laptops. It just looks like nothing is planned soon, per the laptop magazines. You may have been joking which is fine. I'd love to have my pick of Vaios again and custom order them down to the color. Security issues with current Sony business units and recently sold units are a bit different issue for me.

Lenovo is actually my next favorite brand. Any ideas where to see a 14" one in E. Idaho or SLC? I actually found a 14" Lenovo which may be my best choice, but I'm still confused about descriptions I've read about it. I can send you a PM if you want to see what confuses me.

I talked to an expert I met a couple of yrs. ago. He's based in a Cleveland suburb and he will tell me honestly what people from the entire U.S. are saying/thinking about laptops, screen size etc. He's the one who convinced me to try Lenovo before for a couple of months.

I've found the office supply stores rarely have 14" screens. But if they carry the brand they may be able to answer my other questions. What does make this difficult is my absolute need for a 14 in or maybe a 15, but it cannot be over 4-5 lbs. You may be surprised how much the 17 inch and others weigh.

I appreciate your suggestions and humor I'm fine if everyone thinks I'm a perfectionist in most things. ; -)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2014, 04:06 PM
 
3,783 posts, read 3,430,462 times
Reputation: 7892
Regardless of what laptop you get, it might be hard to find Windows 7. When I purchased this laptop a years ago, I got one of the last Window 7, 64 pro models available (at least from HP).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2014, 12:26 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 12,308,793 times
Reputation: 6280
UOTE=f5fstop;37592546]Regardless of what laptop you get, it might be hard to find Windows 7. When I purchased this laptop a years ago, I got one of the last Window 7, 64 pro models available (at least from HP).[/quote]

F5fstop. ..I agree that 1-2 yrs. ago getting Windows 7 was nearly impossible. Now, two companies routinely ask if you want 8 or 7 in their computers. That surprised me. They've heard the complaints.

What the experts tell me is my need for a 14 inch screen and optics to burn discs make this almost impossible. But, one of my experts has found two. I have to decide about them. They both cost more than I would have guessed.

Thanks for trying to help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2015, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Aiea, Hawaii
2,214 posts, read 2,697,943 times
Reputation: 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Ha, Ha, tmp4, I'll never tell who I meant. Most know I'm a perfectionist about most things. I prefer to think of perfection as a positive term. Big business did, but I'm not sure every employee I've ever had appreciated the same level of perfection. My strengths are not in training and re-training staff who haven't matured to a certain level. I do better with those who could sort of understand the big picture and how many levels of bureaucracy I had to deal with including the FDA, international corp headquarters sometimes in Japan and always in Switzerland and other EU Countries.

Yes, you summed me up well. I like to hold a laptop first before I buy it. I trust if I order a CD from Amazon I'll get what I ordered. Only once did I get sent the Asian CD instead of the English version. It looks cool to see those signs and not have a clue what song was going to play

I haven't given up on Sony. The Asian company that purchased Vaio hasn't produced anything new during the time they've owned the Vaio unit. I hope they do produce new Vaio laptops. It just looks like nothing is planned soon, per the laptop magazines. You may have been joking which is fine. I'd love to have my pick of Vaios again and custom order them down to the color. Security issues with current Sony business units and recently sold units are a bit different issue for me.

Lenovo is actually my next favorite brand. Any ideas where to see a 14" one in E. Idaho or SLC? I actually found a 14" Lenovo which may be my best choice, but I'm still confused about descriptions I've read about it. I can send you a PM if you want to see what confuses me.

I talked to an expert I met a couple of yrs. ago. He's based in a Cleveland suburb and he will tell me honestly what people from the entire U.S. are saying/thinking about laptops, screen size etc. He's the one who convinced me to try Lenovo before for a couple of months.

I've found the office supply stores rarely have 14" screens. But if they carry the brand they may be able to answer my other questions. What does make this difficult is my absolute need for a 14 in or maybe a 15, but it cannot be over 4-5 lbs. You may be surprised how much the 17 inch and others weigh.

I appreciate your suggestions and humor I'm fine if everyone thinks I'm a perfectionist in most things. ; -)
I don not know if you have a Best Buy store out that way.
They used to have lap tops, different brands you could try out on a review station (Table) in the store.
Have not been in the my store for a while. It might be worth a trip or call to find out.
Scott
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 12:18 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 12,308,793 times
Reputation: 6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
I don not know if you have a Best Buy store out that way.
They used to have lap tops, different brands you could try out on a review station (Table) in the store.
Have not been in the my store for a while. It might be worth a trip or call to find out.
Scott
Hi Scott,

I've been thinking about you since we haven't heard from you for a while. Let us know how you are when you can.

Yes, we have a Best Buy here. There have been some physical obstacles to going to a lot of stores; nonetheless, I did check Best Buy out. It's again the combination of the 14 inch screen and DVD with Windows 7 that makes this harder.

But one of my helpers has found me three.

Thanks for your interest and suggestion.

MSR

P.S. I was probably thinking about you and others to given how the Seahawks are playing. My only question for them is who will be the competiton. Go Hawks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:40 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top