Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 11:18 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,430,606 times

Advertisements

Ok, who plans a big Superbowl Party for home? What Sports Bar or other restaurant will have the biggest party?

Do you prefer watching the game solo or with few in a residence? Or do you think the Sports Bars or restaurants are more fun?

Come on football fans, there are many here. Which do you prefer and how come?

I like home. I'm actually interested watching the game.

msr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 06:18 PM

Lightbulb "I'm Here So I Won't Get Fined" - Marshawn Lynch

Did you see this yesterday? Lynch and Russell Wilson are rapidly becoming my favorite Seahawks, albeit for different reasons.

Check the vid or read about Lynch. I believe in his own style he disarms the media. At least he showed up for press day. No reports that I've heard of today.

NFL Lynch: 'I'm here so I won't get fined' - ESPN

Enjoy -

MSR

Old 01-28-2015, 07:17 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,837,835 times
Football mod checking in tonight! Lots of things rumbling around my bedraggled noggin' regarding Sunday's showdown. Will address a couple things tonight, more to come.

IMO,the NFL got what they wanted. I believe these two teams were the favorites going in from all the sports magazines I looked at in July, some of those being Peterson, Sporting News, Street and Smith, Sports Illustrated to name a few. I believe this game goes down to the wire,possibly the last team with the ball who scores gets the Lombardi trophy. Could this one go to overtime?

That's never happened in a Super Bowl before but has in conference championship games (Seattle/Green Bay just 10 days ago.) It HAS happened in an NFL Championship game in 1958 with the New York Giants hosting the Baltimore Colts. That game gained a lot of steam over the years. Noted NFL scribes and administration people now call that game "The Greatest Game Ever Played."

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-28-2015 at 07:30 PM..

Old 01-28-2015, 10:22 PM

Opining on a couple things here.

Marsharn Lynch is going to wind up with a lot of endorsements.I might be a tad daffy saying that but I believe he is going to really reap the words for his standard pat answer. Looking at his stance with the media,well, there's times some of the athletes want to do just what Lynch is doing. I think of MLB Hall Of Famer Steve Carlton of the Philadelphia Phillies as he wouldn't have anything to do with the media the whole time he was with the organization.

But his relationship with his teammates and some of the other players in the league are first rate, from what I've read this past week. Lynch has a lot of years on him as he played 7 seasons in Buffalo. Still he is one of the top 3 running backs in the NFL. He still has a fair amount of gas left in HIS tank, that's for sure.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:11 PM

Default Wow, I Thought He Was Younger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

Marsharn Lynch is going to wind up with a lot of endorsements.I might be a tad daffy saying that but I believe he is going to really reap the words for his standard pat answer. Looking at his stance with the media,well, there's times some of the athletes want to do just what Lynch is doing. I think of MLB Hall Of Famer Steve Carlton of the Philadelphia Phillies as he wouldn't have anything to do with the media the whole time he was with the organization.

But his relationship with his teammates and some of the other players in the league are first rate, from what I've read this past week. Lynch has a lot of years on him as he played 7 seasons in Buffalo. Still he is one of the top 3 running backs in the NFL. He still has a fair amount of gas left in HIS tank, that's for sure.
Hi Double H,

As always, nice to have you post. Having the football mod visit here is always fun. Last year various players and coaches on the Broncos and Seahawks was explored in tbis foru. Last year. Since we really do live about halfway between Denver and Seattle, I think programming changes are likely for us so we always are shown Hawks games.

I was sad to read these teams were picked in the publications in July
And July is a very good month for many reasons
On the flip side, it's hard for the teams who played in the championship game to return again. I know that from the NBA. All other teams prepare for them more, have seen what got them to the championship game the first time etc. It's a big deal to beat the conference champs or Superbowl c&amps. I have to give the Hawk coaches and players props for their second straight appearance in the Superbowl.

I was surprised how long Lynch has been in the league. He seems younger in a good way. But I was one of the few who wasn't upset with what he said last year. He has one *gesture* that he owns the rights to. I wish he would bypass that and I hope (isn't it NBC this year?), doesn't show him below his chin if he makes that gesture. Kids and many others will be watching. If he somehow needs "private time" to get everything as it should be, I think he should be taken off the field. Others are able to bypass the extra gestures...maybe that will be a bonus he adds to his game this time. However, if he decides to utilize the gesture, the sideline is the best place. The coaches can decide when his focus can be on football only and return to the game.

I still like how he handled the press. And yes, he will have endorsements offered. I think he has really shined in Seattle. Hard to know how much is Pete Carroll and staff vs. Other players understanding and utilizing his skill. Others will get different endorsement deals. Will be interesting to see what Russell Wilson is offered. He's a class act and it's Wilson who has only been in the NFL 3 years, I believe. He's someone to watch for many years.

Stay healthy and please feel free to stop here anytime. Your insights are always interesting Double H. Maybe we have other NFL or Superbowl Fans who will post. I know Scott is a Hawks fan. I wonder if ATVwife is a PATS fan, given where her family use to live. Calling ATVwife......

No trash talking please. If you can avoid that and want to post about the Superbowl, please join the discussion. It's always interesting to have more i involved in discussion, especially with differing viewpoints.

Thanks Double H

msr

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 01-28-2015 at 11:33 PM..

Old 01-28-2015, 11:36 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,219 times
Quote:

Agree. Lynch seems to get stronger as he ages, but. No telling when Lynch will hit that wall. Look at what happened to Shawn Alexander after getting that big contract.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Agree. Lynch seems to get stronger as he ages, but. No telling when Lynch will hit that wall. Look at what happened to Shawn Alexander after getting that big contract.
Scott is right. In Seattle's history they didn't have a lot of all-pro running backs. Sherman Smith was probably their first good back in their history, he now is their running backs coach I believe. Curt Warner could have been a HOFer but tore up his knee in his second season. Sad because he was a GREAT back until that knee injury, though he still was able to put together a couple of 1000 yard seasons. Chris Warren had several good seasons but hasn't gotten a lot of talk outside of the Pacific Northwest regarding his career.

Sean Alexander played for 8 seasons and it was his 7th season where nagging injuries took their toll starting with a wrist fracture. Then a knee and ankle injury came later that season. The Washington Redskins signed him in 2008 but he was only used sparingly. Running backs don't have a very long shelf life anyway. And like Scott said when the end came it came in a hurry.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-29-2015 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: spelling, addition

Old 01-30-2015, 07:43 AM

A few words on an individual here that could be key for the New England Patriots-Rob Gronkowski.

Every decade from the 60's on the media coins a phrase all-world tight end, IIRC Howard Cosell coined that phrase. From Mike Ditka to John Mackey to Ozzie Newsome to Russ Francis to Kellen Winslow to Shannon Sharpe to Tony Gonzales. If he can avoid the injuries that dogged him last year (though he still caught 39 balls) he might top all these guys when he leaves the game.

With all the adjectives that I've heard and read over the last few years on Gronkowski, I'll just simply say that he's a freak of nature. 6'6"-265 pounds-runs good routes-25 years old and is in his 5th year-and already is a three time all-pro player.

Seattle has a great secondary and they are going to be busy with him, particularly standout safety Cam Chancellor.. They are going to have to do a hell of a job jamming him at the line of scrimmage to throw off his timing with Brady, particularly because wide outs Amendola and Eddleman are damn good receivers. They might not be the fastest but they are the most disciplined regarding running routes. They're not big time speed merchants, but solid disciplined route runners. And they aren't afraid of taking big hits coming across the middle. I don't believe Gronkowski will be taking as many hits going across the middle as he'll be giving them when he rumbles down the field.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-30-2015 at 04:26 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 09:32 AM

Default Lack of Pats Fans, It Appears

Quote:
A few words on an individual here that could be key for the New England Patriots-Rob Gronkowski.

Every decade from the 60's on the media coins a phrase all-world tight end, IIRC Howard Cosell coined that phrase. From Mike Ditka to John Mackey to Ozzie Newsome to Russ Francis to Kellen Winslow to Shannon Sharpe to Tony Gonzales. If he can avoid the injuries that dogged him last year (though he still caught 39 balls) he might top all these guys when he leaves the game.

With all the adjectives that I've heard and read over the last few years on Gronkowski, I'll just simply say that he's a freak of nature. 6'6"-265 pounds-runs good routes-25 years old and is in his 5th year-and already is a three time all-pro player.

Seattle has a great secondary and they are going to be busy with him. They are going to have to do a hell of a job jamming him at the line of scrimmage to throw off his timing with Brady, particularly because wide outs Amendola and Eddleman are damn good receivers. They might not be the fastest but they are the most disciplined regarding running routes. And they aren't afraid of taking big hits coming across the middle. I don't believe Gronkowski will be taking as many hits going across the middle as he'll be giving them when he rumbles down the field.

Thanks for your thoughtful posts Double H and Scott. Despite how many Seattle natives are in the area, or read about this area, there doesn't seem to be the same interest in posting here as last year. Scott does well considering his current location in Hawaii. He's a proud Seattle native who loves the Hawks.

It seems what we had last year for a discussion may not happen again. Having both teams going to the Superbowl be from our region of the U.S. seemed to generate more discussion.

Every team seems to have some unique players, given their abilities that were not learned the traditional way (i.e. anomalies can create opportunities in those looking to find them).

I certainly hope Sherman was vaccinated for measles! It won't matter if his baby is suppose to be born on Sunday or a week. Anyone who is a carrier of measles, even if not infected, can infect others easily.

I'll have to read a bit more about the Sherman baby situation as it frankly the media reports make NO SENSE to me. If a baby is close enough to predict birth in two days, induction could happen today. No OB plans an induction or C Section for Superbowl Sunday.
The Sherman baby seems just to be the distraction of the day.

Personally, I find it far more eerie and odd that the Hernandez trial got started this week. It's a dark story compared to the Sherman Baby, but it has been two years in getting to trial.

Perhaps the Judge and/or prosecutors wanted to send a message no one is above the law and selected this week on purpose.

Thanks again for the good info about both teams.. I hope you've gotten a lot of sunshine like we have this week

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 01-30-2015 at 09:42 AM..

Old 02-01-2015, 09:22 AM

A couple of last minute observations here.

Two head coaches in the ultimate chess match-Pete Carroll and Bill Belichik.

The Patriot defense has to do more than just stand up the Hawks O-line to stop Marsharn Lynch. If they can't sack Russell Wilson they can't win.

The Seahawks defensive backfield needs to play the game of their lives. Gronkowski is the most dangerous tight end I've seen in decades. Amendola and Eddlemen may not be speed merchants, but damn good receivers.

Gonna be a heck of a matchup.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 02-01-2015 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: one sentence deleted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls