Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 10:26 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,430,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
MSR : Consider yourself corrected. That's twice you've deduced I was a Seahawks fan. I did not have a dog in the fight tonight. I do have a favorite team, which will go unnamed for now. Been a loyal fan since the AFL merger in 1970.
I mentioned Lynch because he was news. If I ever mention Kim Jong Un, please don't consider me a fan ; )
Thank you for setting the record straight, siege.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Poor play selection on the goal line.
Just was not meant to be this year. Better luck next year Hawks.
Congrats to the pats.
:Classy response, Scott.

If I were Marshawn Lynch, I'd give serious thought to the proposed extension. Why wasn't the ball in his hands for that last touchdown? Seriously, a pass from maybe the one yard line vs. Lynch I don't know if the O.C. or someone else. It would be hard for me to retain that person.

I agree with your comment tmp4.

Congrats to the Pats and their fans.

MSR

Old 02-02-2015, 08:02 PM

82 posts, read 97,387 times
I completely understand the Seahawks pass play call that cost them the game. Coach Pete Carroll said he made the decision based on the Patriots formation. If everyone on earth expected Marshawn Lynch to run it in, why not take an alternate route ? That element of surprise could have been the way to win the game. Part of the strategy was also to burn all the time off the clock, leaving the Pats no opportunity to answer the touchdown. It might have worked, except that Malcolm Butler had prepared himself for that specific play. He read the offense, and he did his job. Kudos to him, a fine soft spoken, humble, undrafted rookie. He did his homework, and it paid dividends. He didn't win the MVP for the game, but he sure produced the most valuable single play of the game. He has a bright future ahead of him.

**** breaking news *****
Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn just signed a 5 year contract to be the head coach of the Atlanta Falcons. That's going to leave a mark.

Last edited by siege; 02-02-2015 at 09:08 PM..

Old 02-02-2015, 11:10 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,219 times
Quote:
I completely understand the Seahawks pass play call that cost them the game. Coach Pete Carroll said he made the decision based on the Patriots formation. If everyone on earth expected Marshawn Lynch to run it in, why not take an alternate route ? That element of surprise could have been the way to win the game. Part of the strategy was also to burn all the time off the clock, leaving the Pats no opportunity to answer the touchdown. It might have worked, except that Malcolm Butler had prepared himself for that specific play. He read the offense, and he did his job. Kudos to him, a fine soft spoken, humble, undrafted rookie. He did his homework, and it paid dividends. He didn't win the MVP for the game, but he sure produced the most valuable single play of the game. He has a bright future ahead of him.

**** breaking news *****
Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn just signed a 5 year contract to be the head coach of the Atlanta Falcons. That's going to leave a mark.
Big shoes to fill by the next Seahawks Defensive Coordinator. Who ever that will be? Hopefully some one in the wings waiting on the staff. Be a interesting off season!!

Old 02-06-2015, 10:58 PM

Default Report: Ndamukong Suh wants to sign with Seahawks

Report came out today. Ndamukong Suh has tie's to the PNW, growing up in Portland Oregon.
We shall see???
Report: Ndamukong Suh wants to sign with Seahawks : Fantasy News

Old 02-07-2015, 02:34 AM

Default Can We Keep This a Continuing Thread Until the in Superbowl 2016?

Quote:
Report came out today. Ndamukong Suh has tie's to the PNW, growing up in Portland Oregon.
We shall see???
Report: Ndamukong Suh wants to sign with Seahawks : Fantasy News
Scott, I don't know who that player is but I did read he was born in Portland, Ore and would like to be a Hawk in the future.

With this post and what siege posted above, this is a question to all who post in the I.F. Sub-Forum. Our focus would need to remain on our regional area, local athletes getting in D-I Colleges the NFL Scouts review often and maybe even talk about how to get a "Jr. Seahawks" camp or kids league here; how do you feel about leaving this thread open until the next Superbowl?

That would mean NO trash talking, honest exploration of how we can get teens recruited by PAC-12 and other D-I schools and thoughts about the coaches etc. This could be a resource to parents in our area.

Additionally, IMO the fact the Seahawks went to the Superbowl two years in a row changes OTA TV locally. I think the execs at Fox, NBC will be programming Seahawks on our OTA channels. That may have tremendous influence on where teens think about attending college. We're (adults discussing) the last component. Maybe adult activities or charter buses/flights to games etc. could emerge if more people talked about a Pro team beyond the finals and what we can do to get our teens who want to play in the NFL to learn about the Seahawks. From my perspective, NO Pro Football team has ever adopted our region. We have locals who have coached in the SEC and the pros.

That doesn't mean Cleosmom has to give up her Steelers or siege give up his team etc. Double H could still post, I hope he would, as I think there is a shift of Idaho teens thinking about college football scholarships and even where they may have a chance to be a walk on player. I don't think enough teens, parents, and coaches think about college west and southwest of us compared to the east and south. Discussions have to occur so prep starts NOW for some of these teens so that some may work with the PAC-12 or MWC as their goal for where they will attend college.

What do all of you think?

Do you think Pro Coaches, including the Seahawks' D.C. and O.C. consider enough candidates from the PAC-12, MWC etc. siege? I do realize pro teams can interview anyone they want. I'd like to see the PNW along with other PAC-12 schools become more like the SEC. Talent teaching and coaching talent, which in turn, is given an opportunity to play ( or coach) at a higher level in the same region.

Looking forward to thoughts from many.

MSR

Old 02-07-2015, 12:50 PM

82 posts, read 97,387 times
I believe the primary criteria in the pro draft is pure statistics. The staff literally looks at numbers first. Thousands of numbers. They have specific positions to draft for, and are looking for a player who can perform there right away.
Years ago, a team would draft a player who they could "bring along" over a few years, being groomed for a position that was not even open when he was drafted. Local athletes had a shot, and put seats in the bleachers. Those days are over. Huge salaries, tight payroll, the pressure to win, and so many other factors have changed the game. There is just no room on the roster for sentiment.
Drafting popular names, Heisman trophy winners, and local college heros has not proven to be economically feasible. Just look at Johnny Football. Coaches and managers live and die by their win/loss record.
As for our local kids ? Study hard, get good grades, maintain a high GPA, train hard, and be a standout athlete in high school and college. Produce the stats that will get you looked at. Summer camps, and training, like what a few athletes have done here ( Yo Murphy comes to mind) help, but honestly, it's a lifetime commitment by the athlete and his family that starts early. Flag football, and then tackle, the work ethic, and time in the gym.
Ever notice how many professional athletes are second and third generation athletes ? Chances are, if a parent was an athlete, or is his kid's coach, the kid will do better than his peers. It's not genetic, it's commitment.
The basic reason there are no Jr Football Leagues is school teams. Junior High and High School teams are a pretty important part of a kid's athletic education. There is no time left for playing in another league. Starting in the summer, before the school year begins, and running through the fall championships, it takes all a youth has to keep up with football practice, school, homework, family, church, and a social life.

Last edited by siege; 02-07-2015 at 01:19 PM..

Old 02-08-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Scott, I don't know who that player is but I did read he was born in Portland, Ore and would like to be a Hawk in the future.

With this post and what siege posted above, this is a question to all who post in the I.F. Sub-Forum. Our focus would need to remain on our regional area, local athletes getting in D-I Colleges the NFL Scouts review often and maybe even talk about how to get a "Jr. Seahawks" camp or kids league here; how do you feel about leaving this thread open until the next Superbowl?

That would mean NO trash talking, honest exploration of how we can get teens recruited by PAC-12 and other D-I schools and thoughts about the coaches etc. This could be a resource to parents in our area.

Additionally, IMO the fact the Seahawks went to the Superbowl two years in a row changes OTA TV locally. I think the execs at Fox, NBC will be programming Seahawks on our OTA channels. That may have tremendous influence on where teens think about attending college. We're (adults discussing) the last component. Maybe adult activities or charter buses/flights to games etc. could emerge if more people talked about a Pro team beyond the finals and what we can do to get our teens who want to play in the NFL to learn about the Seahawks. From my perspective, NO Pro Football team has ever adopted our region. We have locals who have coached in the SEC and the pros.

That doesn't mean Cleosmom has to give up her Steelers or siege give up his team etc. Double H could still post, I hope he would, as I think there is a shift of Idaho teens thinking about college football scholarships and even where they may have a chance to be a walk on player. I don't think enough teens, parents, and coaches think about college west and southwest of us compared to the east and south. Discussions have to occur so prep starts NOW for some of these teens so that some may work with the PAC-12 or MWC as their goal for where they will attend college.

What do all of you think?

Do you think Pro Coaches, including the Seahawks' D.C. and O.C. consider enough candidates from the PAC-12, MWC etc. siege? I do realize pro teams can interview anyone they want. I'd like to see the PNW along with other PAC-12 schools become more like the SEC. Talent teaching and coaching talent, which in turn, is given an opportunity to play ( or coach) at a higher level in the same region.

Looking forward to thoughts from many.

MSR
Lol. Yes, MSR we can probably shut down the this thread for now. At least until we see about next year.

As long as the Sea Hawks keep up there winning. The TV Networks, Fox, CBS, NBC will continue to broadcast the games and there will be more coverage.
MSR have you been getting the Seahawk games locally in South Eastern Idaho, these past two seasons?

Maybe some Successful, influential, well known Football coach in South Eastern Idaho. Either college or High School maybe can get some Football clinics going, and inviting some of the Seahawk players to participate will be a big boost for the area. Getting it going would be the hard problem.
We have a lot of Football clinics put on by ex local players who went into professional Football in Hawaii.

Good topic,
Scott

Old 02-09-2015, 07:24 PM

Default Bair, Thompson, Smith etc.

Quote:
Lol. Yes, MSR we can probably shut down the this thread for now. At least until we see about next year.

As long as the Sea Hawks keep up there winning. The TV Networks, Fox, CBS, NBC will continue to broadcast the games and there will be more coverage.
MSR have you been getting the Seahawk games locally in South Eastern Idaho, these past two seasons?

Maybe some Successful, influential, well known Football coach in South Eastern Idaho. Either college or High School maybe can get some Football clinics going, and inviting some of the Seahawk players to participate will be a big boost for the area. Getting it going would be the hard problem.
We have a lot of Football clinics put on by ex local players who went into professional Football in Hawaii.

Good topic,
Scott
Scott,

HI and the Polynesian islands produce a lot of college football players. I seriously doubt they all hold prep football camps in the summer. If needed, extras from HI and elsewhere could be asked to do summertime camps and be paid. But there are collegiate and NFL players and coaches from ID and Eastern ID. Here are three examples:

1. I like starting with this St. Anthony native. Brandon Bair attended college at Ore. He wasn't drafted. However, he was not drafted into the NFL as a Defensive End. In 2011 he played on the off-season/practice team for the K.C. Chiefs, in 2012-13 he did the same for the Oakland Raiders. He signed with the Eagles at the end of 2013. The Philly Eagles had a new head coach, Chip Kelly.

In 2014, Bair was a starting Defensive End for the Eagles and currently is on their roaster. I don't know about you, but I think he would have a lot of lessons to teach high school players.

Frankly, I could care less if a Seahawk player came to town for a clinic. It shows both the Ignorance and Arrogance of that team to have players and/coaches from other NFL Teams conduct these clinics, IMO. Geographically they should, or Denver. But it really doesn't matter if they aren't aware of the Billionaire Resorts in Swan Valley and other locations on the way to Huntsman Springs and Jackson Hole. Honestly, those from the east coast appreciate these getaways potentially more than guys who live in Seattle. Additionally, athletes from the east may enjoy teaching kids in what should be the Hawks area.

2. Fred Thompson - I admit most of his pro time was abroad; however, I believe even as an assistant coach for the Giants, this local Sr. High Coach could teach teens more in a summer camp.

3. John L. Smith - - he's moving back this way. How many years has he coached in D-I including as an Assistant in what was the PAC-10 and Head Coach in the SEC. His hometown? Idaho Falls.

I'm not listing more examples but they exist. It is possible that universities should be doing the clinics. Whrre I was before it was pros coming home for the off season.

Starting would take some work, but parents who are trying to get their sons additional training are senfing them out-of-state to camps. It is $ leaving the state. When the event center gets their plan about financing and construction, it would be a great place to have youth learn additional skills etc. Meantime, Thunder Stadium would work.

A Pro Team could be part of the problem or solution. Jr. Jazz has a bigger following than ever. Those kids become loyal Jazz fans regardless of their own work.

Finally, maybe siege or someone else could answer about Seahawk games cast the last two years. I have't been back here full-time that long. I was in a different tv market.

MSR

Old 02-09-2015, 10:49 PM

Default Interesting Post and Update

Quote:
I believe the primary criteria in the pro draft is pure statistics. The staff literally looks at numbers first. Thousands of numbers. They have specific positions to draft for, and are looking for a player who can perform there right away.
Years ago, a team would draft a player who they could "bring along" over a few years, being groomed for a position that was not even open when he was drafted. Local athletes had a shot, and put seats in the bleachers. Those days are over. Huge salaries, tight payroll, the pressure to win, and so many other factors have changed the game. There is just no room on the roster for sentiment.
Drafting popular names, Heisman trophy winners, and local college heros has not proven to be economically feasible. Just look at Johnny Football. Coaches and managers live and die by their win/loss record.
As for our local kids ? Study hard, get good grades, maintain a high GPA, train hard, and be a standout athlete in high school and college. Produce the stats that will get you looked at. Summer camps, and training, like what a few athletes have done here ( Yo Murphy comes to mind) help, but honestly, it's a lifetime commitment by the athlete and his family that starts early. Flag football, and then tackle, the work ethic, and time in the gym.
Ever notice how many professional athletes are second and third generation athletes ? Chances are, if a parent was an athlete, or is his kid's coach, the kid will do better than his peers. It's not genetic, it's commitment.
The basic reason there are no Jr Football Leagues is school teams. Junior High and High School teams are a pretty important part of a kid's athletic education. There is no time left for playing in another league. Starting in the summer, before the school year begins, and running through the fall championships, it takes all a youth has to keep up with football practice, school, homework, family, church, and a social life.
Interesting post, siege. I still want to respond to this but can't tonight. Just an update.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls