Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 02:10 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times

Advertisements

It's equally possible that the Rexburg police were so tough that the crooks were run out of town as fast as they came in.
Rexburg has always been the most homogenous city in the valley, and it's very likely that their cops always had the entire town at their backs supporting them.

There isn't very much difference between county deputies and city police in Madison County now. One will help the other out, and in earlier times, the relationships must have been even fuzzier as to jurisdictional matters.

Posses here often had deputies from many counties in them; my grandfather told me about several big chases that occurred up in the wheat fields in the Milo bench area where Jefferson Co. deputies would cover the north, Bonneville would lead the chase, and Bingham would cover the south, all combining to box the crooks in outside of town. I.F. police would often cover the west in these chases, leaving the Bonneville deputies to cover the east.

Several of the chases ended at my great-grandparent's place, which was sometimes in the center of it all.

Having a town fully ready to support their police made a huge difference, back in the day. The James gang learned that the hard way when they went into Northfield, Minnesota, to rob two big banks there at the same time. The citizenry shot them to ribbons.

More than anything else, I think folks were more alert and suspicious in earlier times. It wasn't seen as being impolite for someone to ask what someone's business was in town back then. Growth and civilization has smoothed a lot of old common behaviors out over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls