U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 07:20 PM

63 posts, read 158,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I disagree with Quentin about smart planning in the Idaho Falls section of eastern ID. Perhaps he would tell all when he last drove in that neighborhood and what your potential neighbors do.. You'll have to judge who knows the area.
Mtn. States Resident, you appear to call out my bonafides... as in, you're no Idahoan or even from or recently visited IF or the eastern part of the state. Come now, Mtn. States, let's stick to the point, the OP specifically mentioned walking to services and referenced a planned community near San Diego. Where does that exist in IF? The kind of planned communities the OP described just do not exist in Idaho Falls. However, I will give you this, you and I probably disagree on what constitutes smart planning. Your kind of smart planning: "look, we just landed a Sam's Club, Cabela's, Olive Garden, etc.".

The OP should keep this in mind when making life decisions, we all disagree on what leads to a good life... age, education, experience, upbringing and inherent bias all influence our ideal location. IF is great for some people, especially the young family. However, many posters need to rise above the obvious boosterism. OP, once again, those kinds of developments do not exist in eastern Idaho, perhaps the Boise north end or Eagle would suit you better.

Ultimately, OP, use your resources to discover the truth, visit IF or use Google Earth or even search for "Idaho Falls" and "urban sprawl".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 07:33 PM

1,395 posts, read 3,141,148 times
I'm from Idaho Falls, great town, I love I.F., but if I was asking the questions I would look into Boise. SE Idaho is too close to the negative, peculiar and spooky vibe Utah emits.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:54 PM

6,051 posts, read 6,702,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Horizon did leave Idaho Falls despite profits, but I believe they still fly to Bozeman.
Yes they do. The lady friend I visit several times a year in Three Forks works for Horizon out of BZN. Horizon is part of the Alaska Airlines family, so your clearances might be valid.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:11 PM

2,639 posts, read 5,752,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Here is some I.F. airport for you, revelated.
This is the official net page.

City of Idaho Falls - Idaho Falls Regional Airport
I saw that. Three airlines - two of which are horrible, the other doesn't go anywhere. Horizon Air is ok but it's not the "Alaska" Alaska. And I'm 99% confident TSA doesn't do Precheck at that airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quenton View Post
Mtn. States Resident, you appear to call out my bonafides... as in, you're no Idahoan or even from or recently visited IF or the eastern part of the state. Come now, Mtn. States, let's stick to the point, the OP specifically mentioned walking to services and referenced a planned community near San Diego. Where does that exist in IF? The kind of planned communities the OP described just do not exist in Idaho Falls. However, I will give you this, you and I probably disagree on what constitutes smart planning. Your kind of smart planning: "look, we just landed a Sam's Club, Cabela's, Olive Garden, etc.".

The OP should keep this in mind when making life decisions, we all disagree on what leads to a good life... age, education, experience, upbringing and inherent bias all influence our ideal location. IF is great for some people, especially the young family. However, many posters need to rise above the obvious boosterism. OP, once again, those kinds of developments do not exist in eastern Idaho, perhaps the Boise north end or Eagle would suit you better.

Ultimately, OP, use your resources to discover the truth, visit IF or use Google Earth or even search for "Idaho Falls" and "urban sprawl".
So, perhaps you can clarify. And perhaps you aren't familiar with this area.

Here's a map of the home and surroundings. Maybe it's just me, but it looks QUITE similar to Carmel Mountain in almost every way. In the upper right is a lengthy commercial area with Texas Roadhouse, Teton Mall, Kohls, Chick-Fil-A, etc. all the stores you would need. Looks walkable - might take a long time, but a little extra never hurt nobody. At least it's in the same general vicinity and there's a LOT of it.

What am I missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
I'm from Idaho Falls, great town, I love I.F., but if I was asking the questions I would look into Boise. SE Idaho is too close to the negative, peculiar and spooky vibe Utah emits.
Problem with Boise is the same issue with Washington - the homes in Boise are butt ugly. Nothing but siding and old houses, no attractive homes. And no real nice developments from my searching. Plus they have the nerve to be overpriced at that.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:24 PM

1,395 posts, read 3,141,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Problem with Boise is the same issue with Washington - the homes in Boise are butt ugly. Nothing but siding and old houses, no attractive homes. And no real nice developments from my searching. Plus they have the nerve to be overpriced at that.
You must not be searching very deeply. Many of those homes in the aerial you posted look just like the homes in the suburbs of Boise including Meridian and Nampa, they also look very similar to a lot of homes in Twin Falls and Pocatello. I would bet that some of the states nicest new developments are in the Boise area and the historic Northend is beautiful.

The homes in Washington are butt ugly?

Old 02-25-2015, 09:31 PM

6,051 posts, read 6,702,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Horizon Air is ok but it's not the "Alaska" Alaska.
Same owner. (Really don't mean to be an arse.)

Horizon Air History - Alaska Airlines

Old 02-25-2015, 10:57 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,708,956 times
Default OP's Question and Interest in Idaho Falls

[quote=quenton;38597470]Mtn. States Resident, you appear to call out my bonafides... as in, you're no Idahoan or even from or recently visited IF or the eastern part of the state. Are you talking about YOU, quenton, or me? I hope you're talking about you as you're really wrong about me.

Where does that exist in IF? The kind of planned communities the OP described just do not exist in Idaho Falls. However, I will give you this, you and I probably disagree on what constitutes smart planning. Your kind of smart planning: "look, we just landed a Sam's Club, Cabela's, Olive Garden, etc.". Ha, Ha - Not Hardly. I. F. Guy - hope you're catching this

It appears you are bothered the OP opted to learn more about Idaho Falls, and I don't know why. But, I do know some people feed off of negative discussions when their needs aren't met. I'm not that type of person, but it appears you have an agenda here that is different than the OPs.

Please let the OP know where to find you so you can write in a different non-Idaho Falls thread all the great things you want to write about anywhere else.

MSR

Old 02-26-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
You must not be searching very deeply. Many of those homes in the aerial you posted look just like the homes in the suburbs of Boise including Meridian and Nampa, they also look very similar to a lot of homes in Twin Falls and Pocatello.
Not from my search and definitely not in the same price range. Maybe that's why I didn't see them. If Boise is charging over $300k for the same house that I can get for $250k in Idaho Falls, I'd rather lean towards the lower amount given I work from home.

Quote:
The homes in Washington are butt ugly?
Uh, yeah?

609 N I St, Tacoma, WA 98403 is Off Market | Zillow
Look JUST at the exterior. Not the hundreds of thousands dumped into the interior to make it look nice. Yes, curb appeal matters. This is NOT curb appeal.

Take Burien, WA. In the same price range I searched Idaho Falls with this is what I get back.

Burien Single-Family Homes For Sale | Trulia.com

Every single house there is HORRIBLE looking. It's not just shape, it's siding too. Every house out here except for the ones in, say, Kennewick or Pasco, has siding and it looks horrible compared to stucco. $260k for THIS? No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Same owner. (Really don't mean to be an arse.)

Horizon Air History - Alaska Airlines
I don't care that it's the same owner, it's not the same experience. No more than United is the same experience that Continental was. No more than US Airways will be the same experience as American Airlines.

Horizon Air is to Alamo Rent-A-Car what Alaska Airlines is to National Rent-A-Car. TOTALLY different experience - doesn't matter if they're owned by the same company.

In any event Horizon does not go to the destinations I go. They're for small hops and for that, they're fine. But I'd rather pay for a nonstop.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:58 PM

28,205 posts, read 19,956,332 times
Apples and oranges.
Burien, Washington is a completely different place. More people live in the Seattle metroplex than the entire state of Idaho.

For sure, Idaho Falls has areas that have proven to be mistakes for the lifestyles of the present moment. It has never been the modern definition of a planned city. And as we have all seen, a lot of highly planned communities have turned out to be mistakes as far as the present lifestyles of the moment are concerned, too. But that does not mean you will encounter the same things you dislike so much in Washington here.

idaho Falls' growth was slow and steady for most of it's 100+ years, and it's still growing. So, naturally enough, I.F. has its old houses, cheap houses, shabby houses, and small houses. But it also has its old mansions and new mansions, and many McMansions, well kept cheap houses and very nice small houses. But none are going to have the same price tags as those homes in Burien.

Boise is older than I.F., has been larger than any other city in Idaho forever, and has even more variety in homes and prices because its so much larger. Boise has also grown explosively fast when compared to the high growth of Idaho Falls, C d;A, Pocatello or most of our other cities. The only city that has grown even faster is Rexburg, which tripled in size in less than 20 years, from about 12,000 to about 36,000 today.

Curb appeal is all in the eye of the beholder, revelated. I'm sure without a doubt you will be able to find a home that suits you from top to bottom, inside and outside. Will that home fit your other desires as far as its location is something only you will be able to determine.

And if our available airlines don't suit, there's nothing anyone here can do about that. If Idaho Falls' amenities fill all your other needs well enough that you are mostly happy living here, then it's all up to you if the low quality flying experience of the airlines that use our airport becomes a matter only you can determine if it's a deal buster for the rest of your living experience here will be.

You can't expect any of us to satisfy all of your questions, and I doubt you will ever find a place that will satisfy you 100%. That's asking too much of any place.
I appreciate the thought and care you've done in searching for a new home place. Hesitancy is valuable when anyone seriously begins considering pulling up roots; those roots are always hard to pull out, and may never transplant well somewhere else.
Impulsively packing up and moving seldom pays off in reality like the mind envisions. It's always easy to become discontent in a place you've come to dislike, and it's very easy to fall into the trap I call the Pink Cloud. Discontent always brings on the Pink Cloud, the sparkly mental vision of a place where everything is totally perfect, and where perfect contentment and perfect happiness abides. The Pink Cloud always says it has to exist out there, somewhere. All I have to do is find it.

Been there, done that. The Pink Cloud does not exist. There is never a perfect place, a perfect community of perfectly like-minded people surrounding you, never a perfect job, never anything that lies within the Pink Cloud. Life simply is not perfect, and notions of perfection are always fuzzy, pink, and continually change. Those notions never focus and firm up to the point of reality.

If you are truly unhappy where you are, I wish you the very best in finding your better place. There is no best place, ever, unless you alone think it is.
Caution is good, as is hesitation, but too much of either will only result in perpetual frustration, and as often as not, creates a mind block that will keep you right in the middle of what makes you so discontent forever unless there comes a point where you have to either give up thoughts of moving or just suck it up and go look around for somewhere new.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:59 AM

banjomike, don't misunderstand my response. It's in direct criticism to those who claim that

- "Boise has the same homes" - not the same price, they don't.
- "Horizon is the same airline" - no, no it's not.

I don't care about the age of the city, frankly. San Diego is just as old as Seattle yet the style of home is light years beyond it. Half of Florida is light years beyond Seattle.

The home I initially posted, from a price, features, and appearance perspective, is as close to perfection as it gets. Doesn't mean I would buy that exact house, simply that the style and location are spot on, for the money.

Could I find the same house elsewhere? Absolutely. I can go to Kennewick, WA right now and find the same style of house, but again, as with the rest of the state of Washington, there's no close shopping or amenities. It's not acceptable. Worse, it doesn't have the full suite of airlines.

As I mentioned before, I will do due diligence and plan a trip out there over a weekend. I got the basic information I was hoping to confirm. But what I don't want is people trying to tell me that Boise's the same, Seattle's the same...that's the problem with people these days, nobody is willing to actually care about what they're specifically doing with their life balance. I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls