Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,690 times

Advertisements

We're moving to the Idaho Falls area in a month!! We currently live in Jacksonville but have lived in all
climates. Our 2 grown sons live in Bozeman and have lived and worked all over and absolutely LOVE that
area of the country. They have encouraged us to move and try it out so we can live closer to where they are.
We lived in central PA for 15 years and that climate is not bad, the snowfall averages @ 35 inches yearly.
Idaho Falls seems to be very similar, except for the humidity you have in PA.

We would love to live in a town that allows us to walk around town, to a restaurant, or shops nearby. Also, schools may be important because our daughter and grandson may be joining us. We want to
rent for at least the first year until we decide exactly where we want to live.

My husband is in business for himself, but may look for a management job. I've always worked
as a secretary/administrative assistant and will be looking for employment. We are in our mid 50's.

Pocotello sounds great except for the college, nuclear plant, and is it a paper plant there that smells?
Someone mentioned that to me.
Can someone please give me a little insight? Thanks....

Last edited by sharonobgr; 04-20-2015 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 12:05 PM

679 posts, read 812,320 times
I used to live in Pocatello, its ok but there were a couple of fertilizer plants on the west side of town and depending on the wind direction, you could notice the smell. It also had a bit of a negative economic situation compared to the rest of the state. It seemed there were always job losses happening while we were there. The town itself is not so bad, it was just a little small for our tastes.

Idaho Falls is nice as well, and I probably would choose it over Pocatello if I had to live in E. Idaho again. Its a little bit closer to the Yellowstone and Teton National Parks and all the wonderful country. It also wasn't so dependent on Union Pacific and the factories for employment so it might be a little better economically. A lot of people there work out at the INEEL.

Anyway, good luck with your move to Idaho.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:59 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
No need to worry about the Pocatello nuclear facility. It went bankrupt before ever opening, and the new unused equipment and building are now being sold by the contractor as part of the bankruptcy's recovery.

While I live in Idaho Falls, my hometown, I'm naturally partial to I.F. more than Poky, but both cities are similar. Pocatello lies in a hole, so it's usually a few degrees warmer than I.F., and sometimes winter air inversions happen there, which can make the town a bit log-smoggy; I.F. gets the same inversions, but because its higher and more open, the cold air is simply trapped low to the ground but can still move around.

Our snow here may be 35" total over a season, but Idaho snow is much drier, and the entire region is usually much sunnier, so the snowpack in town tends to settle down into less than half that figure as the winter progresses. It is not uncommon to have no more than a foot or less on city lawns in the times between big snowfalls. Our air here is so dry that the snow often evaporates, even though the temps can be below zero. Humidity here is never a problem!

Chubbuck is essentially a suburb of Pocatello. Ammon is the same with Idaho Falls. Both Chubbuck and Ammon have their own businesses, and both lie right next to the larger city's boundaries.

Pocatello and Idaho Falls are less than an hour apart in distance. The only way you will know which is best for you is to come out and look them over.

Idaho Falls is 50 miles closer to Bozeman, if that is something that will make a difference to you.

Spend some time in the Idaho Falls sub forum, and ask lots of questions there. That forum is much more specific to the area than this one is, and it covers the entire S.E. corridor of cities that all lie close to the Utah/Wyoming/Montana/Idaho borders.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:08 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Coming from Jacksonville, one would think you're used to a metro area, having said that, you might enjoy I.F. better than Pokey. As mentioned, IF places you 50 miles closer to Bozeman making it easier for visits. But if you find that you're going to be in need of traveling by plane, Pokey places you 50 miles closer to Salt Lake City's International airport.

Even though my chiropractor is located in Pokey, I still wouldn't move there, personal preference. You mentioned the college, his office is located directly in front of Holt Arena which is on campus and I've never experienced major traffic or anything negative.

Living in the Pocatello are might allow you and your husband more quality time together as otherwise he'll be commuting. Considering the management job he found was located there. Idaho Falls does have plenty of business opportunities as well

As suggested, pop out for a visit and decide for yourself, after all you're the only one who can honestly tell what feels right for you.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:38 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
In six months, living in Chubbuck, I have never seen a traffic problem in Pocatello or Chubbuck. Yes, at rush hour it gets busier, but no tie ups. The heaviest traffic is usually at the Yellowstone road/I-86 intersection at rush hour, but that is also next to the mall/Walmart and other retailer outlets.

In my "personal" opinion, Pocatello has nicer views due to the mountains/hills surrounding the area.
Smell, I'll guess, maybe one or two days a month at the most have I ever smelled the plant on the southwestern part of the city, and it is a mild "natural gas" odor. Never been a problem; once I found out what it was. Admittedly at first, I thought there might be a gas leak.

But as other have suggested, you need to come up for a few weeks and poke around.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:10 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonobgr View Post
We're moving to the Idaho Falls area in a month!! We currently live in Jacksonville but have lived in all
climates. Our 2 grown sons live in Bozeman and have lived and worked all over and absolutely LOVE that
area of the country. They have encouraged us to move and try it out so we can live closer to where they are.
We lived in central PA for 15 years and that climate is not bad, the snowfall averages @ 35 inches yearly.
Idaho Falls seems to be very similar, except for the humidity you have in PA.

We would love to live in a town that allows us to walk around town, to a restaurant, or shops nearby. Also, schools may be important because our daughter and grandson may be joining us. We want to
rent for at least the first year until we decide exactly where we want to live.

My husband is in business for himself, but may look for a management job. I've always worked
as a secretary/administrative assistant and will be looking for employment. We are in our mid 50's.

Pocotello sounds great except for the college, nuclear plant, and is it a paper plant there that smells?
Someone mentioned that to me.
Can someone please give me a little insight? Thanks....
I agree with the earlier posts. You'll know when you visit. You're fortunate to have adult children in Bozeman. Since they know you and the others in your family who may relocate, which city are they suggesting?

Also, your needs may change depending on whether or not your granddaughter comes and her needs.

Cleosmom mentioned Salt Lake City International Airport. It is the closest international airport. Idaho Falls Regional Airport has direct flights to SLC and Denver daily, plus several days directly to Las Vegas. Summer flights fly directly to Long Beach, Oakland and Mesa, I think.

One other factual difference is Pocatello and Chubbuck are in Bannock County. Bannock County was estimated at 83K for the 2014 census. Idaho Falls and Ammon are in Bonneville County. Bonneville County's estimated population was 108K. Whether 25,000 more residents makes a difference to you or not, only you know.

Let us know where you are coming. Good luck with your move and finding your new home

Old 04-28-2015, 03:41 PM

I just learned that the Pocatello airport offers most of the routes that are available from the I.F. airport at half the price of the tickets in I.F.

A good friend of mine who flies frequently on his job now routinely uses Pocatello intend of Idaho Falls or SLC to fly from. He said they also have free parking at the airport. He now uses only Pocatello as his airport, and said this morning he's leaving from there Thursday to fly to the midwest. He said the free parking alone more than paid for the gas it takes to drive to Pocatello and back, and the hassles in the airport take a shorter amount of time.

The reason is the Pocatello airport is almost as large a facility as Idaho Falls' but is being very under-used. The airlines all still stop there, as Poky services the big passenger area that extends from Poky to Twin Falls, so the ticket prices have all been cut in half to help fill the airplanes. There is steady traffic in Poky, just not enough of it.

For sure, I would rather travel 50 miles to get a price break than have to drive 200 miles to Salt Lake to get the same break!

Old 04-28-2015, 05:12 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I just learned that the Pocatello airport offers most of the routes that are available from the I.F. airport at half the price of the tickets in I.F.

A good friend of mine who flies frequently on his job now routinely uses Pocatello intend of Idaho Falls or SLC to fly from. He said they also have free parking at the airport. He now uses only Pocatello as his airport, and said this morning he's leaving from there Thursday to fly to the midwest. He said the free parking alone more than paid for the gas it takes to drive to Pocatello and back, and the hassles in the airport take a shorter amount of time.

The reason is the Pocatello airport is almost as large a facility as Idaho Falls' but is being very under-used. The airlines all still stop there, as Poky services the big passenger area that extends from Poky to Twin Falls, so the ticket prices have all been cut in half to help fill the airplanes. There is steady traffic in Poky, just not enough of it.

For sure, I would rather travel 50 miles to get a price break than have to drive 200 miles to Salt Lake to get the same break!
Mike, What other airlines besides Sky West to SLC fly from PHI? There are less flights daily to SLC, but they are working to keep the planes full.

I wasn't aware Poky had Direct jet service to Denver or Mesa as often as IDA. Sounds like it is good for your friend. That's good

Old 04-29-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Mike, What other airlines besides Sky West to SLC fly from PHI? There are less flights daily to SLC, but they are working to keep the planes full.

I wasn't aware Poky had Direct jet service to Denver or Mesa as often as IDA. Sounds like it is good for your friend. That's good
I never have the need to fly, so I don't know anything about the outfits that fly out of Pocatello. I'll bet the airport has a website.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:39 AM

102 posts, read 244,548 times
I have live in IF my entire life and am pretty miserable here. The weather here is never very nice and is usually always windy. I will be packing up and moving to st George Utah soon. Unless you like the snow and wind then move elsewhere. There is also nothing to do in this town. The only kind of cool thing is the green belt. Sorry for being negative but Its just hard for me to understand why someone would want to move here. Pocatello is a little better in my opinion because it's closer to the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls