U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 04:34 PM

424 posts, read 310,582 times

Advertisements

One of my favorite news sources, bizmojo, has a story today about C-A-L Ranch stores. Apperantly, they are building new in Ammon. Not just one building, but two. A 70k sf retail and a new headquarters building. That kind of answers questions as to when the space north of Walmart will finally develop. Maybe we'll hear news about the hotel that is planned for the development. I've also wondered when and where Tractor Supply might come to IF. The store on Lincoln C-A-L is leaving is prime for that sort of business being on the outskirts serving the vast Snake River plain just north of town. That building is also very old.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 12:35 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,953,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
One of my favorite news sources, bizmojo, has a story today about C-A-L Ranch stores. Apperantly, they are building new in Ammon. Not just one building, but two. A 70k sf retail and a new headquarters building. That kind of answers questions as to when the space north of Walmart will finally develop. Maybe we'll hear news about the hotel that is planned for the development. I've also wondered when and where Tractor Supply might come to IF. The store on Lincoln C-A-L is leaving is prime for that sort of business being on the outskirts serving the vast Snake River plain just north of town. That building is also very old.
Good news. It was interesting to read Shane Murphys connection.

C-A-L Ranch, my late father's favorite store.

I agree we'll probably see the hotel around the national headquarters. From another source I read that the business is really starting to take off in e-commerce. I wonder if the Corporation Headquarters Building will include an area for e-commerce orders

Old 07-13-2016, 11:28 AM

Fisher's Technology will build on Eagle in Ammon behind Sportsmans. I Googled the business so I could have more of an idea of what kind of facility would be needed but I couldn't come up with much. Anyone familiar with this business?

Old 07-13-2016, 11:50 AM

4,757 posts, read 16,579,604 times
Quote:
Fisher's Technology will build on Eagle in Ammon behind Sportsmans. I Googled the business so I could have more of an idea of what kind of facility would be needed but I couldn't come up with much. Anyone familiar with this business?
Office equipment rental services. Current location is Pancheri, not sure if this is expansion or relocation.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:36 PM

It appears that Deseret Industries finally found somewhere to build a new store. It's in Ammon somewhere but I don't know where yet. I'll cross post to IF. But I wonder if they (LDS Church)continue to utilize their current downtown property. They did build a mixed use project in SLC (someone correct me if needed). But then again, they abandoned the church on 13th street, which is finally being remodeled into a medical facility.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
It appears that Deseret Industries finally found somewhere to build a new store. It's in Ammon somewhere but I don't know where yet. I'll cross post to IF. But I wonder if they (LDS Church)continue to utilize their current downtown property. They did build a mixed use project in SLC (someone correct me if needed). But then again, they abandoned the church on 13th street, which is finally being remodeled into a medical facility.
That property on 13th street has been vacant 20+ yrs. It was initially proposed last year as a Post Grad Culinary School with a restaurant etc. When those plans didn't come together, a group of Ammon investors are converting the building to an Integrated Health Facility. That means combinations of eastern and western medicines.

I believe the principals of that clinic already have an Ammon clinic, but they want to add more and need space so they all would relocate to the, is it called Third Ward Clinic, Theotherdude?

Personally, I'm amazed. I never thought the right use for the old church could be found.

Good for D.I. Which SLC mixed use property do you mean? D.I.'s don't build with mall-like stores or housting etc.. Tell me which one and I'll explain what D.I. did in Utah.

My personal GUESS about the current D.I. building in Idaho Falls, is watch for that property to become part of the downtown redevelopment overall plan. It would be perfect for a smaller grocery store. Part of the master plan for downtown is a WALKABLE grocery store, regardless of who builds it. There are other uses that could happen, but it depends on who the tenant is at Kelsch. Especially with the TRPTA buses, if they ran regularly using a grocery store even as a central transfer spot, more downtown residents could walk (Bonneville Hotel & others) or ride TRPTA to get their groceries.

And no downtown grocery store is going to decrease business at existing grocery stores. It's possible a pharmacy could go in as well. It depends on who might buy or lease the building. IDK if the building were destroyed if there is room enough to build an apartment building. Any thoughts?

I doubt the LDS church would seek any I.F. redevelopment assessistance. The purposes of D.I. have been outgrown and changed from the businesses around them in downtown Idaho Falls. It is possible an LDS Social Services could be built in Ammon by D.I. But I'd look for a larger facility that trains. One of D. I.'s major functions is to train and rehabilitate different segments of the population to work. These could be Developmentally Delayed individuals or potentially some returning from incarceration.

If people don't know the basics of how to do a job they can't get employed. In that sense D.I. is a sheltered workshop type of facility.

Three things to plan on, regardless where it is built. 1. It will be closed on Sunday, 2. There is usually a high supervisor to trainee ratio considering what others do and 3. I'm not sure about this, but I don't think someone has to be LDS to work and learn at D.I. However, they have to keep LDS standards while at work. When they built the new D.I. in West Jordan, UT, it was prime real estate, as far as accessibility, large parking lot and close to public transportation. TRPTA will have to serve an Ammon D.I. well. I'd think real estate close to K-Mart might be a option for this building. It will be interesting to see.

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 07-20-2016 at 01:07 PM..

Old 07-20-2016, 06:34 PM

The mixed use project I speak of wasn't necessarily DI, but the LDS Church. Again correct me if needed but they built the City Creek project in downtown SLC. You are correct that church membership is not a requirement of working in their program. I thought maybe it will be built to the west of Kmart where those survey stakes are I noticed a few weeks back.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:42 PM

51 posts, read 25,595 times
Quote:
The mixed use project I speak of wasn't necessarily DI, but the LDS Church. Again correct me if needed but they built the City Creek project in downtown SLC. You are correct that church membership is not a requirement of working in their program. I thought maybe it will be built to the west of Kmart where those survey stakes are I noticed a few weeks back.
The LDS Church owns approx. 6.5 acres west of The Piano Gallery, so I'd say that makes sense.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:24 AM

Quote:
I'd agree about the location. While I've not been aware of any D. I. Training for certain jobs, given the shortage of construction workers we have with so many new buildings or major residential started or so close, I'd almost wonder if at some point certain able-bodied, lower I.Q. folks could be trained to do Non-technical jobs in construction? I think of how many years times I've seen busy workers need something and have to stop their complex work to retrieve a tool, position a light etc. It would require the right supervision, so perhaps not. Keeping a workforce swept and stacking supplies could keep the pros doing their jobs and not the maintenance stuff.

The purposes of D.I. are very different than commercial or other land the LDS Church owns. If you want a detailed discussion about City Creek, post in the Utah forum and ask. My understanding, despite the $2 Billion cost, is City Creek is essentially like the Tri-Cities farms that produce apples in WA state, the huge FL farms that raise beef, the CA farms that raise grapes and a few other fruits as well as the LDS Owned farm, not far from the I.F. Country Club that tends to have wheat or potatoes grown on it. All of the food and cash go for church programs and to stock up the Bishop's Storehouses around the U.S. to help members and non-members in disasters, preventive medical care to the third world countries and to pay the lay ministry a salary. The LDS Church had and still has, in some locations, food processing facilities.

When the LDS Church calls General Authorities, those people immediately retire from their positions. I use to work with about three of them, but especially a cardiologist. Plus things like remodeling costs for the ~~ $28 - 30 million dollar renovation of the Idaho Falls Temple, building new temples throughout the world, paying the costs of running those buildings and far more. The LDS Church has to pay in cash when it gets a rented 757 loaded with vaccines that go to people globally. The Bishop's Storehouse somewhere close to NOLA opened up their packed food from all the church farms, shared food, medicine, blankets, diapers etc. as one of the first volunteer organizations on site for Katrina. They also opened a church or two for people to stay.

Were the food, medicine, blankets, clothes etc. given only to LDS members in LA? No. Anyone in need was given what the church had to share. People who stayed at the church had to abide by LDS standards in the church.

When I wrote about the 40th anniversary of the Teton Dam breaking and read what the Ucon Bishop's Storehouse did for Upper Valley Residents, I'm amazed. I also thought it was funny the one thing they had to call Salt Lake City for help with disposable diapers. Parents didn't have time to get them and one of the Idaho Falls' area church leaders was called by one in Rexburg saying Ricks College had no diapers, please buy all he could find and bring them to Rexburg that night, which he did. The next day, a Sunday, a semi from SLC arrived with disposable diapers, tetanus and typhoid vaccines plus other things. The cost to recipients? Nothing.

City Creek and possibly other investments help generate the needed cash, the LDS Church uses for Humanitarian Purposes, while providing shopping not otherwise available except in Denver or Seattle. There was also a tremendous city and regional need when City Creek was planned.

Both former downtown SLC malls were changing, Nordstrom, in their typical style threatened to move all their Utah stores etc. There were turf battles over which mall should stay and expand and which should go. A suggestion was made to leave both malls & their towers & build a bigger, better mall in a totally different downtown location. No one stepped in to do it so the LDS Church did. That's oversimplified but the basis of what changed. Then other private developers tore down the old malls and their towers and built new buildings, with many more apartments and some different types of offices.

So D.I. does run a thrift store and Ammons could be large, it trains and helps people who can't enter the workforce without experience or different training etc. The salaries of the senior staff at D.I. would be another example of what the LDS Church pays for with cash it receives from it's properties or investments.

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 07-22-2016 at 01:34 AM..

Old 08-02-2016, 10:49 AM

Cool Battle Zone Opens

It appears another new business, apparently fun for ALL ages, has opened at 2788 E. 14th North in Ammon. Promototed as the only Nerf and Zing Archery Family Fun Center in Eastern Idaho, it does sound fun.

When Facebook reviews include some like I. F. City Council Member, Michelle Ziel-Dingman, giving it the highest score possible, for an adult birthday party, this is a business worth considering, IMO. If you go let us know what you thought.

https://m.facebook.com/battlezoneida...ernal&mt_nav=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls