U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:25 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,234,081 times

Advertisements

It's probably time to give Ammon a separate thread.

To all who live in Ammon, or plan to do business with Ammon, what is up with the proposed 3% *service fee* for those who pay any transaction with a credit card, Debit Card or e-check? This is news to me, and probably most others.

If you feel strongly paying 3% to use one of the payment methods I listed, there is a public hearing on May 7 at 7:00 p.m. Ammon will implement this change on May 11 if no one objects. If questions, contact the Ammon City Hall.

I don't live in Ammon, but it doesn't give me the warm fuzzies to think I would be paying 3% more to pay my monthly payments on time simply because I don't like to write checks.

Any other views about this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 01:42 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,671,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
It's probably time to give Ammon a separate thread.

To all who live in Ammon, or plan to do business with Ammon, what is up with the proposed 3% *service fee* for those who pay any transaction with a credit card, Debit Card or e-check? This is news to me, and probably most others.

If you feel strongly paying 3% to use one of the payment methods I listed, there is a public hearing on May 7 at 7:00 p.m. Ammon will implement this change on May 11 if no one objects. If questions, contact the Ammon City Hall.

I don't live in Ammon, but it doesn't give me the warm fuzzies to think I would be paying 3% more to pay my monthly payments on time simply because I don't like to write checks.

Any other views about this?
Good Questions MSR.
Does the 3% Fee in Ammon apply to writing Money Orders (Post Office)? That is how i pay rent.
Of course if you do not like to write checks? You may not like to write money Orders?
I pay cash when it smaller payments.
Sounds like if enough people show up and cause a ruckus and complain maybe the new law won't go into effect!!

Old 04-25-2015, 07:20 AM

385 posts, read 457,972 times
out of principle, if this passes, I'll be buying my Cabela's gear on their website instead of at their store

Old 04-25-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
out of principle, if this passes, I'll be buying my Cabela's gear on their website instead of at their store

I do things sometimes due to the principle involved too. I just want to make sure I communicated clearly. The *service fee* to the best of my understanding, involves the City of Ammon transactions only.

I don't know which, if any, utilities residents might pay monthly to the city. Plus for new building permits or copies of Ammon documents etc. All of those transactions would have the 3% charge. If a monthly statement required payment is $50.00 the extra fee would add $1.50 more for a payment total of $51.50.

IMO, Ammon has not made this public at all. Small amounts may not matter as much. However, if residents pay $100.00 or more monthly some may feel differently.

I hope residents will attend the hearing and ask what is happening that the growing city is charging this extra charge? Are e-checks not the same cost as regular checks?

I think it is better that residents know what is planned. A large turnout might change what is done, IDK. Otherwise, residents will find it costs more to pay with a credit card, Debit card or e-check in Ammon, and some may wonder how come there wasn't a hearing.

May 7, 2015 @ 7:00 p.m. is the hearing.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:26 PM

385 posts, read 457,972 times
I should have read your OP a little more closely. I was thinking "in Ammon" not "with Ammon"

otherwise, I would have also stopped shopping at Albertsons, Wal-Mart, Chick-fil-A, etc

Old 04-26-2015, 08:48 AM

4,918 posts, read 16,914,046 times
Sorry, but that's a little silly considering something paid with CC is guaranteed funds and a check not always. Thinking this is about as polar thinking as it can get. Oh I know, go pay in cash so they have to run to the bank several times daily???

Old 04-27-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Sorry, but that's a little silly considering something paid with CC is guaranteed funds and a check not always. Thinking this is about as polar thinking as it can get. Oh I know, go pay in cash so they have to run to the bank several times daily???
"A little silly," Cleosmom? I think absolutely ignorant and backward for the same reasons you stated. But your comment

Old 04-27-2015, 07:58 PM

76 posts, read 76,384 times
If you make a cash or check purchase, or payment, it is a straight banking operation, handled through the nationwide bank clearing system. Not so with a credit or debit card.
Credit card fees are charged to the receiver of the payment. When you make a purchase with your credit or debit card, the business ( or municipality ) taking your payment has to pay a transaction fee to a third party payment processor.
Some businesses are upfront about the fee, and advise you of it when you make your payment. Others make up the cost by raising their prices to cover their costs. One way or another, you are already paying for using your card. It's called a convenience charge. The banks and third party payment processors that issue cards or clear card payments do not work for free. They charge fees to pay their employees, overhead, and shareholders.
When business are paid by the bank or payment processor, they are paid at a discount. As an example, when you make a purchase of $100 at your favorite grocery store with a card, they receive about $97.50 in their deposit. There is also a time lag between when the purchase is made at a store, and when the merchant gets paid. Some credit card companies can take 3 or 4 days, others 3 or 4 weeks to pay the merchant. For that reason, some merchants may take Visa, MasterCard, and Discover, but not American Express. They take longer, and charge more.
If you are making a payment, not a purchase, and the full amount has to be applied to your account, the fee is more visable. Again, as an example, a $100 payment would cost you $ 103, so your full $100 payment is applied to your account. You pay the fee for the convenience of using plastic.
What the city of Ammon is doing is being transparent, and straight forward. I appreciate their honesty. I'm sure there are a lot of people who are not aware of how the system works, and apparently it was not explained with the announcement.
I have no dog in this fight. I don't live in Ammon, or work for the city, I'm just trying to help people understand the why and how of this.

Last edited by siege; 04-27-2015 at 09:00 PM..

Old 04-28-2015, 03:32 PM

26,998 posts, read 18,272,303 times
Ammon residents would rather be beaten on the lips with a hammer than to pay a nickel more in city taxes. Low taxes created Ammon, and that attitude hasn't changed, even though Ammon is becoming a real city of its own now.

EVeryone pays taxes in either nibbles or bites. If the Ammon residents don't like the nibble, they will have to cough up and pay the bite, but no city can operate for free, and increased growth always brings increased civic responsibility with it.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
If you make a cash or check purchase, or payment, it is a straight banking operation, handled through the nationwide bank clearing system. Not so with a credit or debit card.
Credit card fees are charged to the receiver of the payment. When you make a purchase with your credit or debit card, the business ( or municipality ) taking your payment has to pay a transaction fee to a third party payment processor.
Some businesses are upfront about the fee, and advise you of it when you make your payment. Others make up the cost by raising their prices to cover their costs. One way or another, you are already paying for using your card. It's called a convenience charge. The banks and third party payment processors that issue cards or clear card payments do not work for free. They charge fees to pay their employees, overhead, and shareholders.
When business are paid by the bank or payment processor, they are paid at a discount. As an example, when you make a purchase of $100 at your favorite grocery store with a card, they receive about $97.50 in their deposit. There is also a time lag between when the purchase is made at a store, and when the merchant gets paid. Some credit card companies can take 3 or 4 days, others 3 or 4 weeks to pay the merchant. For that reason, some merchants may take Visa, MasterCard, and Discover, but not American Express. They take longer, and charge more.
If you are making a payment, not a purchase, and the full amount has to be applied to your account, the fee is more visable. Again, as an example, a $100 payment would cost you $ 103, so your full $100 payment is applied to your account. You pay the fee for the convenience of using plastic.
What the city of Ammon is doing is being transparent, and straight forward. I appreciate their honesty. I'm sure there are a lot of people who are not aware of how the system works, and apparently it was not explained with the announcement.
I have no dog in this fight. I don't live in Ammon, or work for the city, I'm just trying to help people understand the why and how of this.
Hi siege, It's nice to see one of your comprehensive posts again. I agree this is a service or convenience fee. I mentioned that briefly above, but didn't develop the theme as you did.

Where I get confused, and I don't live in Ammon either, is about two separate things. As for transactions, are you saying a Debit Visa also costs the City of Ammon the same amount as a regular Visa? And what about e-checks? I'm totally puzzled how they would cost more than a regular check? Please share any insight about those so I ( and probably others) can learn more.

I agree that Ammon is being transparent; however, I haven't seen any news stories in print or tv media. I haven't checked Ammon ' s website for a few days, but nothing was there either. No one has known until I shared a small legal notice I saw, while looking for info about Pioneer Village and more. Perhaps the City of Ammon is waiting until this last week to make this a news story or something many more people would see or hear than a legal notice. That is what bothers me the most. The City of Ammon can be transparent, but if people don't know about the Hearing, to me, that doesn't seem very transparent.

Your turn

Keep on Rocking in the Real World!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls