Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,952 times

Advertisements

My husband could potentially end up working for the National Lab in Idaho Falls. We currently live in San Francisco and we enjoy it but we are planning on starting a family in the next few years. I know Idaho falls is a small community that is predominately Mormon but that is all I know. I am just concerned we won't fit in. What is the community like and what could we expect if we move there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 10:47 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Hi, Linds…
Idaho Falls is a pretty quiet city, and while it might appear to be small to you, it's large for Idaho. I.F. has welcomed new site workers for a very long time, and you won't have any problems at all fitting in. Many who come to work at the INL end up living here for the rest of their lives.

While the LDS are the predominant religion, I.F. is full of other faiths, denominations, and churches. It's a very family-oriented town, and we have lots of city programs of all kinds for kids, including leagues for all sports year round, kid's art teaching and events, musical events, and a lot of year round events for families.

There are no real neighborhood boundaries here, although some recent subdivisions have fenced off some of the major arterial streets to cut down traffic noise, and life here is industrious, entrepreneurial, and very laid-back and informal at the same time. Folks here are friendly, but reserved; it's easy to make acquaintances here, but it's typical to have a few close friends for most folks. But as always, the more a person involves themselves in the community, the more folks they get to know.

Our pace of life is a lot slower than San Francisco, and that may take some time getting used to. It's very common here to see strangers chatting about things anywhere, and nobody gets rushed here. We tend to use our time waiting in a line to get to know the person next to you. While the site is a big deal here, Idaho Falls is still a farm and ranch town, so you'll see lots of farmers and folks wearing cowboy hats, and dogs riding in the backs of pickups. Lots and lots of pickups here.

We have a lot of parks for a city of our size. Many are small neighborhood parks, but we have a few large ones. We have a nice city zoo and a small midway in one, and the other lies on the banks of the Snake River and is very beautiful. You will also find lots of trees here, and our town is generally clean and pretty well kept. While it bustles during the day, the nights here are very quiet and peaceful.

We're very tolerant. I.F. has more minorities here than most Idaho cities, and we've never had any big problems with racial divisions at all. Our schools are about as good as it gets, although some are more crowded than others.

Once you are settled in, I suggest planning some day trips. Idaho Falls is only 100 miles from Yellowstone Park, and the drive to the park passes through some most excellently scenic places. Jackson Hole is less than 80 miles to the east, and the drive there is even more spectacular. While I.F. itself lies in scenery that's nothing special, going over any foothill at the edge of town can put you into some of the best territory the west has to offer in any direction. We all love the outdoors here and spend a lot of time in it.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:25 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
As a non-Mormon (non-everything actually), who has lived in two predominate Mormon states (UT and ID), I have had NO problems with Mormons. I have also worked with Mormons, not only in UT but also in other states. Sure, you might get a welcome committee when you first move in, but they are polite and when told you're not interested, they will leave. (Strange, when I moved to the Pocatello area, it was not the Mormons who arrived it was the Jehovah's.)

I really believe the Mormon issue is overplayed a lot and I have said and will continue to say, if I had my choice, I would rather have a Mormon family for neighbors than many other religions. Why? They tend to keep to themselves, but are always friendly, even if you are not a Mormon.

Just my experiences with Mormons; others may be different.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:45 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
As a non-Mormon (non-everything actually), who has lived in two predominate Mormon states (UT and ID), I have had NO problems with Mormons. I have also worked with Mormons, not only in UT but also in other states. Sure, you might get a welcome committee when you first move in, but they are polite and when told you're not interested, they will leave. (Strange, when I moved to the Pocatello area, it was not the Mormons who arrived it was the Jehovah's.)

I really believe the Mormon issue is overplayed a lot and I have said and will continue to say, if I had my choice, I would rather have a Mormon family for neighbors than many other religions. Why? They tend to keep to themselves, but are always friendly, even if you are not a Mormon.

Just my experiences with Mormons; others may be different.
Great and accurate summary, f5!

For me, I've had the Jean's Witnesses and a Baptist Minister three times. I know LDS residents never would have visited with religious intents, that often.

You'll probably get invited to block parties this summer, f5. Some will be LDS and some won't. They are usually fun events for neighbors. Lots of times neighbors share a bit of their summer schedule. It's possible you may have neighbors ask you to water their lawn while they are gone or just know they will be away during a certain period of time so if some odd things occur you can let law enforcement know.

Don't be shy about making and sharing some of your best recipes. It's always fun when neighbors have lived in other countries or other regions of the U.S. to taste good things they make.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:26 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlinds90 View Post
My husband could potentially end up working for the National Lab in Idaho Falls. We currently live in San Francisco and we enjoy it but we are planning on starting a family in the next few years. I know Idaho falls is a small community that is predominately Mormon but that is all I know. I am just concerned we won't fit in. What is the community like and what could we expect if we move there?
Hi jlinds,

I wrote a detailed answer and couldn't get it to post. I'd encourage you to read from threads going back to 2013 in the Idaho Falls Forum. Many of us have answered your questions for others. You'll learn a lot from the threads.

Idaho Falls is located in Bonneville County. The county population is about 110K. Idaho Falls should be at 60 K by 12/31 if it isn't already. Ammon will be probably between 15 -20K. Ammon is a bedroom community literally across the street on 25th east. Pockets of Ammon tend to have more concentrated LDS populations, but some are concentrated with new residents to the area that are mostly not LDS.

Idaho Falls proper maybe is 50% LDS. That is a higher concentration than San Francisco, but there is plenty of room for people from other faiths, or no faith, too. It's more if you can respect your neighbors if they believe differently than you, than will you be allowed to be different. Neighbors who practice loud trumpets at 4:30 a.m. aren't the favorite of many. Neighbors who share recipies or will take a new gardening tool or a bouquet of flowers from their gardens are usually welcome in 99.9% of the homes. There are probably between 24-36 different churches represented in Idaho Falls. My best advice to you is visit. None of us know what you feel comfortable with, only you. About 10% of the population is Hispanic. Ages range from newborn to 100. Our extreme populations, whatever that word means to you, aren't as extreme as the different groups in the Bay Area. You won't see the Oakland crime, yet you can find a former career long Oakland Public Defender who is glad to return to his hometown of Idaho Falls.

Other important local businesses, besides agriculture and INL, which are based in Idaho Falls include: Ball Ventures, Melalueca, Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center and publications from Harris Publishing are among the multiple influences in the city that recruit staff from everywhere in the U.S. and multiple countries abroad. Check their webpages to learn more about the areas they do busines. The regional airport is small but growing yearly in service. No Fisherman's Wharf, but the best fly fishing in the U.S. about an hour away. Not direct from Broadway to S. F. theaters, but a very active arts community. Colonial Theater, Willard Arts Center, ARTitorium on Broadway | Idaho Falls Arts Council .

I am serious about reading the discussions the past two years that are pertinent. An INL employee's posts from less than six months ago, along with others who relocate will tell you a lot. A couple of useful links are: Idahofallsmagazine.com, Localnews8.com - - check the webcams, East Idaho News and the City of Idaho Falls website - check out the webcam and others. While all of those can give you info, you and your husband need to visit. Let us know when you're coming so we can suggest activities that are occurring then.

No place is right for evrryone, but those who come with open minds are usually surprised what is available. I personally know the couple who moved here more than five years ago from S. Africa so he could work at INL. They've had opportunities to return home and have opted to stay.

If you drive here from CA to visit, please know some of Idaho's interstates and those around Idaho Falls are 80 mph. Not all roads are 80, only certain interstates. I'm starting to add that as slower traffic creates risks on the Interstates where 80 is the speed limit. And we like the 80 mph here.

You also didn't tell us what you do or if you're going to school etc. Let us know, if it matters for your work.

Have fun discovering more about Idaho.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 05-14-2015 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls