U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 08:47 AM

386 posts, read 410,482 times

Advertisements

Looks like the city will be expanding the section of Grandveiw between Saturn and Skyline with construction expected until November. I was wondering when they were going to start.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 10:53 AM

427 posts, read 313,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
Looks like the city will be expanding the section of Grandveiw between Saturn and Skyline with construction expected until November. I was wondering when they were going to start.
I figured they would do it while upgrading the utilities. Probably would have been cheaper.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:16 AM

386 posts, read 410,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
I figured they would do it while upgrading the utilities. Probably would have been cheaper.
That's what I thought too. Doesn't make sense to tear up the road twice but I guess that's why I don't work for the government.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:09 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,980,068 times
Did you see the speed limit is being increased on several area roads?

Old 07-31-2016, 06:37 PM

385 posts, read 443,684 times
is Sunnyside finally being increased to 45-50??

Old 07-31-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
is Sunnyside finally being increased to 45-50??
Ha, ha! I'd be dead had that been in place last week. I drive 40 mph. Dude pulled out in front of me on Potomac and "merged" eastbound at about 20 mph for a block or two. Thank goodness I had a head's up driver behind me and I could move to the right lane. About that time the 20 mph flipped a U in the Middle of Sunnyside and drove west. I was glad to having going a different direction than me!!!!

Check the news. It's kind of hit and miss. The biggest is Highway 20 to Atomic City at 70. Some others too and a few around Soda Springs.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:59 AM

24 posts, read 19,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Dude pulled out in front of me on Potomac
Kind of off topic, but what's up with this? I have been SHOCKED at how "normal" it is to pull out in front of opposing traffic when it's clearly not safe to do so! No I'm not speeding either and yes, I drive a minivan (maybe this is why?) but it's downright scary.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastOnCastOff View Post
Kind of off topic, but what's up with this? I have been SHOCKED at how "normal" it is to pull out in front of opposing traffic when it's clearly not safe to do so! No I'm not speeding either and yes, I drive a minivan (maybe this is why?) but it's downright scary.
COCO, you are not off topic. I don't usually see three lands or more someone wants to cross, but some do. IDK why, but I have a few thoughts about it.

1. Limited roads access to Ammon. Hitt and 17th will start construction next summer. But there aren't many lanes for a population of 15K and growing fast. If Ammon wants to build more roads for access, the residents will probably have to demand it. Currently there are three or four new housing developments being built in Ammon. It gives you a hint how come as many developments are occurring or close to starting on the westside.

The intersection of 15th East and 4900 South is becoming increasingly dangerous in the opinion of many, including me. I never go through that there aren't usually three cars or more waiting at the east-west stop sign and vice versa. I was told of a bad accident that happened here. IDK if they will do a full light, maybe when 4900 South expands to four lanes. But a four way stop would probably save some wrecks/lives.

2. Related to #1, I think more are opting for Sunnyside. As the professional areas continue to build, there will have to be a stoplight somewhere between 15th East and Channing Way. That's an area that lots of regional traffic uses to get to the mall, EIRMC, Sandcreek Commons and a lot of specialty physicians. Can you believe a developer wanted to build about 200 apartments in the bacK of Potomaac?

3. Hitt, people get tired of waiting. My experience is those who have lived in large cities don't think the wait time is that long. Those who haven't lived in bigger cities or just don't like waiting get inpatient.

4. More baby boomers and older who don't look or can't see ALL the traffic, so they misjudge what they can do.

5. And my last one, as it will be interesting to read what others think, is out-of-state drivers. Historically, ID drivers are pretty good. But mix in traffic from Jackson Hole and lately lots of MT traffic, plus drivers at BYU-IDAHO from all states, and some weird stuff does go on. I see it the most in WY drivers. Maybe they are meeting private planes at the airport, or heading back to Jackson and want to be beyond point X before a certain time, and they are late.

What do you and others think?

Old 08-12-2016, 08:51 PM

The Post Register from today is worth seeing. The NuScale info, Jackson Hole Junction and more are good. However, possibly best, the segment Community Editor Katie Stokes wrote about transportation. Some use to blow off the idea of a belt loop around Idaho Falls metro. I'll tell you how "blown off" it is currently. Two words most of us really dislike: Eminent Domain. Ms. Stokes does a good job, IMO, of summarizing traffic problems and mentioning Bonneville County may have to utilize this unpleasant option to secure the needed land on Old Butte Road.

She very much addresses BMPO's plan for a loop saying the time is now. It's more than the obvious growth we see and the huge INL growth we anticipate. It's this year. Something about 2016 and 2017 are the years of Idaho Falls metro, as some of us were discussing in Projects.

But the year is ticking away. There are Federal and maybe State funds available for this Loop Project. If the property can't be secured on Old Butte in that timeframe, then not only does the area lose the chance for the funding, it literally goes to the bottom of the list in Idaho. The next time funds are available it may be NID or the Hailey or Soda Springs area that can use them. It won't be us.

Please check out the article in the editorial section today. Who or what wouldn't want to sell property on Old Butte so the loop can get started? IDK......

Old 09-13-2016, 12:15 AM

Did you hear about this accident where a man from WA state was killed this afternoon? I saw the wreckage first hand as I drove home. This is at the intersection of 15th East and 97th South between Sandy Downs and Country Club Road. This is an intersection which I know well as 15th East is the road I mostly use to drive to and from Idaho Falls. I predicted a deadly accident on 15th East this summer, but I wanted to be wrong. I feel sadness knowing a man lost his life. I'd driven through that intersection less than an hour before this accident happened and returned seeing the demolished vehichles a few hours after it happened. I'd also seen a string of three ambulances leave EIRMC E.R. that would have transported the injured to the E.R.

Some aren't aware there are stop signs at every intersection on 15th East to Country Club Road (110 South) for east and west bound traffic. I have been concerned about a fatal accident happening at 4900 South & 15th E. There are always three to four cars waiting to cross 15th East both westbound and eastbound. It can be a long time waiting and it's going to get worse as new subdivisions have been approved for both sides of 15th East south of 45th, let alone what Ammon is building.

I don't want to see more die on this road. Plus obey the stop signs, they are there for a reason!

Man who died in Bonneville County crash identified - East Idaho News

Doo you think EIN got the intersection pic with a drone? I first thought the accident happened more west on 9700, given where the vehicles landed. But I realized as I saw the vehicles and the the clean up crew was sweeping glass in the intersection, that this had been a terrible accident in the intersection.

My condolences to the WA man's family and friends. I sincerely hope both females can recover from their injuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls