U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2016, 12:18 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 11,994,067 times
Reputation: 6270

Advertisements

I'm not certain what this website is. But it appears to access main PRO stories.

It appears there is a stalemate with a local farmers about obtaining the property for Sale. Old Butte Road. I find it sad he won't sell now but may in 5-6 years. We need that infrastructure now.

Also, while it is true Idaho Falls is growing in that area of Skyline with the Archdiocese of Boise Development and others, think about larger cities. There is always development on either side.


Old Butte extension plans falter | Myinforms lose the federal funding if this farmer can't be convinced to sell the needed property by Jan., 2017.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-27-2016, 05:21 PM
 
385 posts, read 444,516 times
Reputation: 136
I'm interested in the news segment tonight on KIFI regarding why fares are so high at IDA and what they're going to do about it

As someone who flies a few times per month, I can't remember the last time I flew out of Idaho Falls. Pocatello and SLC make a lot more sense as far as better flight schedules and prices
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2016, 08:13 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 11,994,067 times
Reputation: 6270
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
I'm interested in the news segment tonight on KIFI regarding why fares are so high at IDA and what they're going to do about it

As someone who flies a few times per month, I can't remember the last time I flew out of Idaho Falls. Pocatello and SLC make a lot more sense as far as better flight schedules and prices
They have been working on Seattle for years. Will Alaska finally commit in 2017?

Ultimately, between tourists, INL and other businesses who will pay the fares, until they can get more airlines, it will be tough. They constantly ask Allegiance to keep the CA route open year round. It might be time to start laying the foundation for Southwest and/or Frontier. Those would take years to cultivate.

I noticed PIH now advertises as the "non-business airport" that is cheaper.

DIGGING DEEPER: The high cost of flying out of Idaho Falls - KIFI
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2016, 08:26 PM
 
385 posts, read 444,516 times
Reputation: 136
indeed. and you also factor in the free parking lot at PIH. for longer trips, that can really add up
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2016, 09:03 PM
 
385 posts, read 444,516 times
Reputation: 136
For experiment, let's say I'm flying to San Francisco in three weeks. To get the best deal, I depart on a Tuesday and return on a Saturday. Here are my lowest fare options: IDA $594, PIH $412, SLC $159

from the above article:

Quote:
“A lot of folks think about their hotel, their gas, and their food,” he said. “Those are no brainers, but a lot of folks do not, what we are trying to drive and educate people is to say 'hey look at your time.' A lot of these folks are wealthy, savvy business folks that are driving out there and their time is worth a lot of money."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2016, 07:09 AM
 
8,440 posts, read 11,994,067 times
Reputation: 6270
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
For experiment, let's say I'm flying to San Francisco in three weeks. To get the best deal, I depart on a Tuesday and return on a Saturday. Here are my lowest fare options: IDA $594, PIH $412, SLC $159

from the above article:
I believe you tmp4. This was a bit of a hit piece, IMO, by Chris Oswalt. This information about Alaska Airlines is NOT new by his reporting. His information is a bit concerning though as he reports service three days/week to Seattle. Two years ago it was being negotiated for daily Seattle flights. Additionally, there was zero discussion of the Asian tourists who could fly in from Seattle instead of having to fly through SLC.

This am, Oswalt added more of the hard data we know, but he omitted yesterday still missing key facts. The planes most recently discussed are Horizon CRJ'S just like those used from Denver and SLC. Horizon is the same Horizon who pulled out of IDA because a 14.5 % profit the last year from IDA wasn't a high enough profit for them.

I'm concerned they want almost a $6 million guarantee IF Idaho Falls is the winning city for Alaska expansion. Look at Oswalt's original piece. Alaska Airlines is starting a bidding war between cities to the point cities can't necessarily pay those fees. Alaska code shares with Delta as they primarily fly west coast. Delta is expected to take over some of the current Alaska service. None of that comes from Chris Oswalt but from clearly documented reports which are available to anyone who researchs the information.

Oswalt conviently bypassed Allegiant fares to Las Vegas in his example, which was irresponsible in my opinion.

So tmp4, how much would your flight be to fly Allegiant to Vegas change planes in Vegas to Oakland or another Bay area airport? More people could opt to use Vegas as a hub, which is how come IDA is iconstantly asking Allegiance's about year round direct service to Oakland and LAX. Mesa could also be used as a hub, or a combination of Mesa/Vegas.

Frontier should be pursued again. The fact Frontier identified and expanded to IDA for six months before a total reorganization at the company, which dropped all four cities added when IDA was added, suggests to me other airlines know of the demand.

Planes don't fly unless 90% full. The fact local business (INL and others) are keeping the planes 95% full, let alone tourists, means either bigger planes so more seats are available or other airlines. The am segment of Oswalt's story states the 95% full due to business.

Oswalt also totally missed where business needs flights to, besides Seattle.

So when the new FBI Center, with 500 more positions opens in Poky, who will be shocked to see PIH rise sleepily? Not me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2016, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Southeast Idaho
4,776 posts, read 16,630,679 times
Reputation: 2748
I flew out of IDA back in May to CA, my annual trip. I had originally booked my flight in February for May out of Twin as the rates were cheaper there than even Jackson or SLC.

Moving forward, Delta changed the times of flight which would not work for me. I called and Delta changed my flight to out of IDA without any penalty!! This surprised me so much that I asked three times

Not sure why it was played this way, unless they have an allowance since they made things difficult for me??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2016, 11:16 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 11,994,067 times
Reputation: 6270
Oswalt's take away was Seattle is where business needs a flight. Say what? Then why compare Vegas? Just compare Seattle prices now. UGH!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2016, 11:58 AM
 
8,440 posts, read 11,994,067 times
Reputation: 6270
Default BMPO & Grant

BMPO met yesterday, or at least the Idaho Falls City Council did. I posted under I.F. City Gov't or here before that the ~$4 million grant to expand and extend Old Butte Road as part of the Inner Loop can't occur currently due to one property holder not willing to sale. He reportedly has told 8B County Commissioners maybe in 5-6 years but not now.

The big problem is if Idaho Falls doesn't use that Federal Grant then the BMPO area served will go to the BOTTOM of Idaho list. There is no way to predict when the BMPO area will be eligible for another grant. There is also no way to predict the amount. To lose the opportunity for this funding is beyond comprehension, for me.

The 8B County Commissioners refuse to discuss or consider Eminent Domain. Don't misunderstand me, I don't like those words either in more than 98% of the time. However, I believe the Inner Loop is that important that construction needs to start now for traffic which is increasing and will continue to increase significantly. I truly feel this is one justified use of that option. The County Commissioners don't want to utilize that tool. However, like me and others, City Council member, David Smith agrees. He has said he thinks everyone needs to reconsider.

At the meeting yesterday it became 100% clear the County Commissioners won't even talk about Eminent Domain. I believe the city received the grant, but since the southern part of Old Butte Road is County, it could only be County Commissioners who utilize Eminent Domain.

The City Council has come up with some different options for the grant. While markedly cheaper and not using the entire funding, they are looking at creating the Bike/Waling path to create the "Connectivity Path" from the Soccer Complex on Old Butte south. The path is a little convoluted as they would also create the same "Connectivity Path" on Bellin Road, at least south of Broadway. Then the pathway would go to the River Walk and IIRC Sunnyside heading east.

Other uses discussed were the intersection of 1st Street and Ammon Road and 17th and Woodruff. There are other unnamed projects also being reviewed.

While the City wouldn't be able to utilize the total amount, it would be able to utilize funds for those projects and potentially others. No one would say , but I'm wondering if the City Council is trying to find as many eligible projects as possible to fund now, thinking down the road city funds wouldn't have to be used for those projects. Consequently, city funding could be utilized to help purchase Old Butte Road when the owner is ready to sell.

As a reminder, if the funds aren't earmarked for specific projects by 12/31/2016, the entire grant is lost.

What do you think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2016, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Southeast Idaho
4,776 posts, read 16,630,679 times
Reputation: 2748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
BMPO met yesterday, or at least the Idaho Falls City Council did. I posted under I.F. City Gov't or here before that the ~$4 million grant to expand and extend Old Butte Road as part of the Inner Loop can't occur currently due to one property holder not willing to sale. He reportedly has told 8B County Commissioners maybe in 5-6 years but not now.

The big problem is if Idaho Falls doesn't use that Federal Grant then the BMPO area served will go to the BOTTOM of Idaho list. There is no way to predict when the BMPO area will be eligible for another grant. There is also no way to predict the amount. To lose the opportunity for this funding is beyond comprehension, for me.

The 8B County Commissioners refuse to discuss or consider Eminent Domain. Don't misunderstand me, I don't like those words either in more than 98% of the time. However, I believe the Inner Loop is that important that construction needs to start now for traffic which is increasing and will continue to increase significantly. I truly feel this is one justified use of that option. The County Commissioners don't want to utilize that tool. However, like me and others, City Council member, David Smith agrees. He has said he thinks everyone needs to reconsider.

At the meeting yesterday it became 100% clear the County Commissioners won't even talk about Eminent Domain. I believe the city received the grant, but since the southern part of Old Butte Road is County, it could only be County Commissioners who utilize Eminent Domain.

The City Council has come up with some different options for the grant. While markedly cheaper and not using the entire funding, they are looking at creating the Bike/Waling path to create the "Connectivity Path" from the Soccer Complex on Old Butte south. The path is a little convoluted as they would also create the same "Connectivity Path" on Bellin Road, at least south of Broadway. Then the pathway would go to the River Walk and IIRC Sunnyside heading east.

Other uses discussed were the intersection of 1st Street and Ammon Road and 17th and Woodruff. There are other unnamed projects also being reviewed.

While the City wouldn't be able to utilize the total amount, it would be able to utilize funds for those projects and potentially others. No one would say , but I'm wondering if the City Council is trying to find as many eligible projects as possible to fund now, thinking down the road city funds wouldn't have to be used for those projects. Consequently, city funding could be utilized to help purchase Old Butte Road when the owner is ready to sell.

As a reminder, if the funds aren't earmarked for specific projects by 12/31/2016, the entire grant is lost.

What do you think?
What's up with First and Ammon?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top