U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2016, 02:45 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,937,126 times

Advertisements

IF Guy, Did you see my previous post? It addresses some of your questions about new Interstate exits.

Also, the Idaho 20 20 report is in Development. It's worth the read of how come businesses aren't expanding to Idaho.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 03:33 PM

423 posts, read 308,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I admit this story and video go beyond the scope of BMPO. I have no clue how come an intersection in Pocatello is owned by the state. I also don't know how to address the Poky traffic problems.

However, this is worth posting as it talks about plans for Hitt and 17th. The story also addresses probably what will be BMPO's first priority with the state. I-15 and Highway 20. BMPO updated this last fall. If you think about it there are so many exits and entrances to 20 within 1-2 miles. Anderson, Riverside, Lindsay Blvd. then I-15 and if one hasn't exited your are in Skyline, which is where you need to go for the airport.

The multiple entrances especially the Riverside and Lindsay Blvd ones are dangerous with this volume of traffic. I wrote much earlier that BMPO was looking at two additional I-15 exists. That is correct as it is illegal to have traffic backed up on an Interstate. One of their best options currently, unless IDOT wants to build an entrance or two that are above the current roads. I don't know that anyone wants those complicated designs or to look like L.A. etc. but we'll see what they can do.

IFGuy, I was wrong about one thing, as it is also something that got updated in Oct. 2015. They can't place an exit at 3300 North as the west would be at the airport runway. So they would have to move it north. But that is probably the safest and least expensive to get more traffic to exit there and try to decrease traffic entering and exiting Lindsay Blvd. and Riverside Dr./ Science Center Dr. I would look for that exit to be a priority. Of course, I could be wrong.

What do you think?

Addressing the problems with high-traffic intersections | News - Home
Two additional north exits would help ease congestion at 15 and 20. The best option may be a flyover ramp for northbound traffic although it would be expensive too. For that though they would have to look at doing away with the Lindsay on ramps and possibly reconstruction of johns hole bridge. Completely re routing a heavy portion of the traffic may actually be cheaper.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:50 PM

Default SLASH to Vegas, MT

More options for regional travel. Salt Lake Express to go to Las Vegas, St. George - East Idaho News

Old 02-19-2016, 09:14 PM

382 posts, read 406,900 times
I drove out on West River Road today to check out where a future I15 exit might go and I am stumped. With the airport, the river, railroad, canals, houses, I'm just not sure how feasible it is to pull off a 33rd north exit. Unless they plan on a previously mentioned LA type set up there just isn't enough room. I guess we'll see if they have any plans.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
I drove out on West River Road today to check out where a future I15 exit might go and I am stumped. With the airport, the river, railroad, canals, houses, I'm just not sure how feasible it is to pull off a 33rd north exit. Unless they plan on a previously mentioned LA type set up there just isn't enough room. I guess we'll see if they have any plans.
I don't know if you saw my earlier post. Maybe I wrote it elsewhere, it's been a while. In Oct. 2015, that exit update was one thing that changed/updated in BMPO's master plan. Without looking through the stuff tonight, I think the intent was to move that exit to somewhere around 4900 N. I don't know that a road exists there currently. That's just the basic area.

They probably won't connect with River Road, IMO, they will use a cross road further east. That would be very restricted traffic to use the winding river road. Besides, I think there are HOA for residents along River Road. There are some reasons to wonder if a new exit road could go several miles. Rexburg traffic could exit too, and that would take even more pressure off of I-15 and 20, prior to N. Holmes (west of N. Holmes).

Canals and railroads can be dealt with.....Think what big cities do when they have an off ramp. Sometimes they are elevated and sometimes they are even with the Interstate or sometimes lower. Houses may need to be bought, but I didn't think there were that many around 4900 N. I'll have to look again.

IMO, everything you listed are exactly the reasons they are starting now to find the best option and start to acquire property etc.

Glad you got out. With the new vid REDI made, which promotes CAES and in town facilities a lot, the fact the DOE did a leasing agreement with UMAPS for the NuScale facility at INL yesterday and other, there will be the demand for that exit.

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 02-19-2016 at 11:05 PM..

Old 02-19-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Check Google map for 4900 N. It almost looks like a road goes west of I-15 already. It wouldn't be too difficult to send eastbound traffic south on Lindsay for maybe half a mile or so. Then a bridge over the river where ground is bare on Lindsay Blvd. and being farmed on the east of the river. I think the first major intersection would be N 5th West, or similar. The exit will be developed. No biggie if one travels south .5 mile or whatever. More room to build an upscale hotel on the river

And no houses would be displaced, if the bridge is a bit further south than the exit.

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 02-19-2016 at 11:07 PM..

Old 02-20-2016, 12:01 AM

There's a road at 49 north that goes under the highway so I guess they could just extend over the river and connect to 5th East. That seems much more feasible than dealing with airports, railways and such.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
There's a road at 49 north that goes under the highway so I guess they could just extend over the river and connect to 5th East. That seems much more feasible than dealing with airports, railways and such.
From Google maps it looks like there are about three houses on 4900 N. road eastbound. IDK how old they are so IDK if they could be purchased for the road to extend straight east or not. That would be easier in many ways. However, assuming the houses are newer or owners won't sell etc. I suggested going south on Lindsay Blvd. a 1/2 to one mile to put a bridge over the river for a few reasons: First the land on Lindsay is totally bare. Secondly, The farming on the east bank would be less disrrupted, IMO, to continue the road to 5th East or West (whatever the road is at the east end of University Blvd. and I always forget) for an intersection leading to INL, CAES etc. if a bridge was constructed there, which appears closer to the end of a farm vs. the middle at 4900 N. eastbound.

Third, to Theotherdude's suggestion* there are many building spots for hotels on the Riverbanks, I would agree the placement of a higher end, full-service hotel somewhere ~ at 4200 N. could have a river and a view of the Tetons. It would also be close to INL, consequently, a perfect location for a full service hotel with many meeting rooms and accommodations for the Sec. of the DOE, Sec. of Defense and private businesse CEOs, whose companies were working with INL, such as X-EXTRA from Maryland and many others. It would be easy access to drive to the "Site" west of town. Finally, while I'm not a surveyor or builder of bridges, it appears the river is a little bit narrower a bit south of 4900 North vs. 4900 North. I think businesses would locate there as I think that area of the river is used for water sports from Kayaking to speedboats for water skiing and other sports. A water taxi could let visitors see the city from the river.

The 4900 N. area just makes sense, for many reasons, for a major exit from I-15. The airport makes the previously planned 3500 N. exit not an option.

* Check the Development Thread for Theotherdude's post about many riverbank options for upscale, full service hotels.

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 02-20-2016 at 09:59 AM..

Old 02-21-2016, 11:27 PM

We need to go for that drive to look at things, IFGUY It's so much easier with more than one looking. But my voice isn't ready yet. Maybe June, as that is when reconstructive surgery will happen, if my voice doesn't return by then. Paralyzed vocal cords suck.

Yesterday I had to meet some people downtown. I had a little bit of time afterward and decided to drive north on Lindsay Blvd. to learn what I could about 4900 N. and area beyond. This is where it would help to have someone else to look as traffic was fairly busy on N. Lindsay which becomes W. River Road.

I'm not 100% positive about this but it looked like an overpass exists at 4900 S. However, I don't know if a single lane each way would be adequate. But there are cool new ways to put overpasses in place in < 48 hrs. There is a road westbound on 4900 N. Exits would have to be built and onramps, but 4900 N. is the clear choice for the first exit after Broadway, northbound.

There are 3-4 houses at 4900 N. eastbound. I think planners would be better off heading south before crossing the river. The off ramp could turn south and traffic not exit/turn until a further south location.

I decided to keep driving north to see where property could be secured for that second exit. It's really interesting where upscale homes have been built. It probably took me 10 minutes to drive to County Line road at ~ 130 N. There is an exit there, or at least a road that goes under the Interstate. However, there is a growing residential area on the Jefferson County side that probably has 20-30 homes already. It is less than a half a mile from W. River Road. I don't see the state or BMPO trying to make County Line can be the second exit. That has to be a separate outing to discuss where that second exit could go.

Back to 4900 N., IFGUY was right, as he usually is, The road on the east entrance of University Blvd. is 5th West ( that is the only entrance as CAES and other energy labs are located on or at the end of University Blvd.). University Blvd. is ~ 2250 N. What is interesting is there kind of a one lane road west of 5th West. It has a sign it's a deadend. The paved road appears to fade into a dirt road. This is 3500 N. and there is a good road eastbound on 3500 N. east of 5th W.

So I wonder if what could happen the most easily is exit at 4900 N., drive south until 3500 N. then make a four land roae to 5th West? That puts drivers > 5 - 10 min. from the INL complex.

What do you think?

Old 02-22-2016, 11:13 AM

I really feel like the closer they can get the exit to 33rd north the better, however like MSR said they could come off 49 north where there's already a bridge over the highway and run south and connect near 33rd north. Probably the most cost effective. If they reconfigure the Lewisville interchange they could have traffic get off at Iona Road and over to the new exit.

Sounds like the BMPO has some challenges trying to figure out the I15 exits and the US20 debacle. Should be interesting to hear their ideas for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls