Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 01:55 PM

14 posts, read 19,880 times

Advertisements

Was wondering if most folks in IF use studded snow tires there in the winter? Are the streets usually hard snow or ice or is it sporadic according to the storms that blow in? Is the norm just to use a good snow tire for the winter and then change them out for warmer summertime weather with a different tire? In our family we drive a mix of vehicles; large SUV 4x4, Toyota Corolla, Ford F-250 4x4 and a Honda CRV. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 07:11 PM

434 posts, read 416,692 times
In Idaho falls city proper, they do a decent job of snow removal. Main roads are cleared quickly. Ice may stay on residential streets for a month or so at a time. Ice may stay on county roads for about the same periods as weather happens. Some years winters are easier.

I personally use all season tires on my Chevy. Never really messed with studded

Old 03-12-2021, 08:33 PM

82 posts, read 97,408 times
We have a 4 wheel drive Jeep SUV and an all wheel drive Toyota Highlander. We run with a good all season radials on both. Most of our driving is on residential streets and well maintained public roads and highways. If a lot of off road or rural travel was called for, snow tires would be a good option, but not a necessity for general travel.

Old 03-13-2021, 02:33 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Since living here I have used a good brand of all terrain tire last ones with the snowflake/three mountain symbol (although not sure if the symbol is all that important) and have had no problem and than includes quite a few trips outside of the Poky area and up and over Teton pass or up to Island Park, Stanly area; places noted to have snow most of the winter; plowed and not plowed. (GMC 4x4 PU truck.)

Also, when living in MI, where there is just as much if not more snow in some of the areas I played in, again, just a good All Terrain tire with a good number of sipes.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:15 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
In Idaho falls city proper, they do a decent job of snow removal. Main roads are cleared quickly. Ice may stay on residential streets for a month or so at a time. Ice may stay on county roads for about the sampeon tires on my Chevy. Never really messed with studded
You're wrong about the removal. While it once took a month to clear all the residential streets in I.F., it's now required that all streets will be cleared in a week or less. Typically, clearance takes less than a week.

It can take a month for all county roads to be cleared, though.

Ice isn't as likely to form on cleared streets, but it tends to form wherever there's a lingering shadow on any street. There are always patches of ice here and there.

I own a set of Blizzak winter tires that I put on after the first snowfall and remove before May 10, and they are superior to every set of studded tires I ever bought. This year was the first time I haven't had them put on, mostly because I didn't go anywhere except for absolute essentials, and my 4-season tires worked well enough that I didn't need the winter tires this year. The streets were pretty clear for almost all of the winter.

Good 4-Season tires are fine for most folks. I like how the Blizzaks make winter disappear. Doing on them is just like driving in the summer for me.

Old 03-13-2021, 08:20 AM

434 posts, read 416,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
You're wrong about the removal. While it once took a month to clear all the residential streets in I.F., it's now required that all streets will be cleared in a week or less. Typically, clearance takes less than a week.

It can take a month for all county roads to be cleared, though.

Ice isn't as likely to form on cleared streets, but it tends to form wherever there's a lingering shadow on any street. There are always patches of ice here and there.

I own a set of Blizzak winter tires that I put on after the first snowfall and remove before May 10, and they are superior to every set of studded tires I ever bought. This year was the first time I haven't had them put on, mostly because I didn't go anywhere except for absolute essentials, and my 4-season tires worked well enough that I didn't need the winter tires this year. The streets were pretty clear for almost all of the winter.

Good 4-Season tires are fine for most folks. I like how the Blizzaks make winter disappear. Doing on them is just like driving in the summer for me.
I did not say Idaho Falls does good or great in snow removal, I just rated the performance of that entity based on the conditions of roads as you cross borders into unincorporated Bonneville county. The roads in the city proper are far superior

Old 03-13-2021, 01:51 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
My son is an excellent driver and he uses the snow rated tires. My reflexes aren't as fast, so I use studded tires. Both of us have winter wheels and summer wheels and get the set of tires swapped, wheels and all, every fall and every spring. Both strategies work just fine.

We both have 4 wheel drive/ all wheel drive vehicles, but quite honestly, have never used 4wd except when we are off road.

Good tires are the major part of winter driving, but even better than good tires, slow down, leave more distance between vehicles, use your controls softly, look and plan ahead.

Old 03-13-2021, 07:14 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,522 times
Idaho Falls is pretty darned flat right in and around the town. All Season tires will do for most folks when it is flat like that. Also, the cold temps help to keep the snow pretty 'grippy'; temps at 20F and lower make it tend to be grippy. It'll still pack into ice though.

Having said all that, the OP is gonna have to look at exactly where they will live. If they are out in the foothills and and have any substantial grades to go up and down, then a better snow tire is in order. Example: My straight-tread highway tires on my 4x4 worked fine in 2 weeks ago in 6” of very cold, grippy snow up a 25% grade in WY one night, but when temps went up over 30F and the sun came out the next day and it became sloppy wet snow over a packed snow base, it was no-go on the same grade. I had to throw on some chains for that simple change in conditions.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:22 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
There are two big advantages to a good winter tire:
1: It makes the car leave a dead stop faster and safer.
2: It makes the car stop in less distance.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:26 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
No. In my 9 years in eastern Idaho I found all season tires just fine. I had studded tires in eastern Washington 35 years ago but today’s all season are just as good imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls