Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 09:27 PM

432 posts, read 534,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
BMPO met yesterday, or at least the Idaho Falls City Council did. I posted under I.F. City Gov't or here before that the ~$4 million grant to expand and extend Old Butte Road as part of the Inner Loop can't occur currently due to one property holder not willing to sale. He reportedly has told 8B County Commissioners maybe in 5-6 years but not now.

The big problem is if Idaho Falls doesn't use that Federal Grant then the BMPO area served will go to the BOTTOM of Idaho list. There is no way to predict when the BMPO area will be eligible for another grant. There is also no way to predict the amount. To lose the opportunity for this funding is beyond comprehension, for me.

The 8B County Commissioners refuse to discuss or consider Eminent Domain. Don't misunderstand me, I don't like those words either in more than 98% of the time. However, I believe the Inner Loop is that important that construction needs to start now for traffic which is increasing and will continue to increase significantly. I truly feel this is one justified use of that option. The County Commissioners don't want to utilize that tool. However, like me and others, City Council member, David Smith agrees. He has said he thinks everyone needs to reconsider.

At the meeting yesterday it became 100% clear the County Commissioners won't even talk about Eminent Domain. I believe the city received the grant, but since the southern part of Old Butte Road is County, it could only be County Commissioners who utilize Eminent Domain.

The City Council has come up with some different options for the grant. While markedly cheaper and not using the entire funding, they are looking at creating the Bike/Waling path to create the "Connectivity Path" from the Soccer Complex on Old Butte south. The path is a little convoluted as they would also create the same "Connectivity Path" on Bellin Road, at least south of Broadway. Then the pathway would go to the River Walk and IIRC Sunnyside heading east.

Other uses discussed were the intersection of 1st Street and Ammon Road and 17th and Woodruff. There are other unnamed projects also being reviewed.

While the City wouldn't be able to utilize the total amount, it would be able to utilize funds for those projects and potentially others. No one would say , but I'm wondering if the City Council is trying to find as many eligible projects as possible to fund now, thinking down the road city funds wouldn't have to be used for those projects. Consequently, city funding could be utilized to help purchase Old Butte Road when the owner is ready to sell.

As a reminder, if the funds aren't earmarked for specific projects by 12/31/2016, the entire grant is lost.

What do you think?
Is it possible for the city to annex the property and use eminent domain? I've heard time and time again about developers and companies whose want to build but need certain things that the city can't or couldn't provide.

Maybe it's time that the city annexes the areas on the Westside needed to complete the old butte road extension and the loop for the power lines. That's needed infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 10:47 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
Is it possible for the city to annex the property and use eminent domain? I've heard time and time again about developers and companies whose want to build but need certain things that the city can't or couldn't provide.

Maybe it's time that the city annexes the areas on the Westside needed to complete the old butte road extension and the loop for the power lines. That's needed infrastructure.
I'm not an attorney so someone educated in law would know more. That being written, my understanding from watching plenty of Planning Meetings is Annexation can only happen two ways.

1. A private owner, developer etc. wants the property annexed and completes the paperwork, fees etc. to get Annexed. Jackson Hole Junction is an example of this.

2. The Entity's Elected Governing Body, in this case the 8B County Commissioners, can ask for Annexation. Examples include what the 8B County Commissioners did on "islands" of 8B County property throughout the Boundaries of the city. This past summer the 8B CC asked I.F. to add these areas. One that is a hot issue is Merlin Dr., North of Sunnyside. Weird how city totally surrounds that street, but that one never got annexed. Consequently, County residents are getting city services at no additional cost, except power. I don't want to discuss that street further here. My point is the county doesn't want to provide services to one street in the middle of I.F.

Owners or elected officials who govern the land are the only two who can request Annexation, as I understand it. Otherwise cities could cherry pick individual properties for inclusion and skip others. Maybe Chris can add more. Or checking Idaho Code. I'm 95% certain I'm right of the circumstances of who can request Annexation. I listened to it so thoroughly explained at the first hearing on Merlin Dr.

One could ask could a corporation or individual buy that land and request annexation. In theory yes. This owner has said NO to selling currently due to family reasons, he said for 5-6 years. I don't think this man will sell to anyone currently. And yes, he is aware of the grant's deadline.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:07 AM

BMPO updated their plan this fall. I haven't read it yet but apparently it doesn't go very far down the road given expected changes.

This is a small change in one way but a bigger change in others. About 2-3 years ago TRPTA was in a world of hurt. With Board Changes and a few redesigned routes, riders are up something like 75% since that time. Service to Rexburg has started. Two buses will be replaced this year and two additional buses purchased in ~ two years. Depending on use, larger buses may have to be discussed.

Buses may not be high on everyone's list, but they do matter how we are developing public transportation in the area. I'm happy to see them making more trips and taking people where they need to go.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Don't ask me how this makes sense I can't tell you. Instead I'm asking you. As we know, the $4 million dollars designated for the south Butte part of the Inner Loop has one month to be used or lost. My understanding is another plan is being considered for the west side. Since the property owner won't sell and the County Commissioners won't use Eminent Domain, some planners are proposing utilizing S. Bellin instead of south Butte, which isn't accessible.

So between the maps or if you drive to Skyline, how do you think this would come together? Would the road on S. Butte past the apartments, Townhomes etc. be the first part turning eastbound on Pancheri over to Bellin Road and then south? Or would W. Broadway be a better option from Old Butte east to W. Bellin and then south?

Yes, it won't be as clean of an inner circle as some may have liked, but it's better than losing the money and opportunity to create the additional road on the westside.

I look forward to your thoughts about this

Old 11-29-2016, 11:17 PM

Arrow Sage Raceway Meeting

I think this is where Dan Q. originally posted about the Raceway. There is a meeting 12/7 for those who will be involved next year.

"Good afternoon drag race fans and racers. Well I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving and now the big push for Christmas. On the 7th of December at 7 P.m., at Leo's Pizza in Idaho Falls on the corner of 1st and Holmes, Sage Raceway is having a meeting of all Drag Racers in this area to decide what classes among other things that we will be having on a regular basis out at the track. The Midnight Muscle car club already has the room reserved and has agreed we could have our meeting with them. We have come along way in 18 months and we still have some work to do before our grand opening on 27 May 2017. I think of what all we have so far set up for our opening and I get nervous, not sure of When, Where and How but we're going to keep the Wagon moving. The main reason for this meeting is to establish what classes to have so we don't have so many that you only get 1 run a day, been there, done that, not good sitting in a trailer all day. So please think about attending, your input is important plus it will give you a chance to see some old friends. Thank you and I will see you at Leo's, Terry."

Check Facebook for the Sage Raceway page.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:50 PM

385 posts, read 526,597 times
This thread is as good as any to post this in:

Everyone should be reminded to drive with their headlights on when we have foggy mornings where visibility is limited. I drove from Idaho Falls to St Anthony this morning and dozens of vehicles failed to turn on their lights. Visibility was very poor. Especially dangerous in white or grey colored vehicles.

There's a good chance the slippery roads and limited visibility played a role in the bad crash this morning near Rigby: Four people transported to EIRMC after two-vehicle crash - East Idaho News

Old 01-27-2018, 07:52 PM

168 posts, read 174,349 times
I have seen two references lately to the possibility of an Alaska Airlines flight between Idaho Falls and Seattle.
One was in the Post Register, where Mayor Casper said "progress is being made, stay tuned", and another was a blurb on the news.

Fingers crossed!!
I'd love to be able to hop a flight to Seattle at will, take in a show, a ball game, and dinner!!

Old 02-01-2018, 09:00 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Back in late 2009, IF had a "direct" flight to and from Seattle. (actually branded as Horizon back then, but owned by Alaska) Then it disappeared. Good to see there is talk of bringing it back. Non-stop, this time?

Related: In 2008 I flew from IF to Minneapolis on the now defunct Northwest Airlines, with a connection to Washington DC. Rumor at the time was Frank VanderSloot had "encouraged" this flight on behalf of Melaleuca.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:13 PM

168 posts, read 174,349 times
Yep. My wife and I were looking forward to that IF/MSP flight, as our daughter and grandkids live in Mpls.
Unfortunately it didn't last even a year.
Airlines don't maintain flights between cities unless there are passengers desiring to travel between those cities, sufficient to adequately fill those flights.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:51 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
IF airport will never be much more than a regional feeder, but it does have a population to give and take flights from Salt Lake, Denver, and maybe Boise or Seattle. Agreed, it all comes down to filling the seats.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:12 PM

432 posts, read 534,072 times
Looks like the ITD is finally going to get the ball rolling on the I-15/US-20 interchange. Curious what everyone thinks about a potential fix. I'm kind of leaning towards a new interchange north of town however it would be the most costly, I feel it would make the most sense towards beginning the outer belt loop.

Im going to go to the open house and get some info as I'd like to see what other options are available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls