U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 11:34 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,102,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQuixote View Post
I don't know that it meets the strict definition of Chinese (I guess it's technically Burmese), but I've heard good things about Ming's Eatery, downtown. I haven't eaten there myself.
That will work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 10:18 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,227,976 times
Very simple: very friendly people, nice outdoorsy, very cheap livin' and nice/slow pace with beautiful river that has cool bridges.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:55 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,102,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Very simple: very friendly people, nice outdoorsy, very cheap livin' and nice/slow pace with beautiful river that has cool bridges.
NOthing wrong with that. Excellent!

Old 02-21-2016, 04:05 PM

25,683 posts, read 17,136,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanQuixote View Post
I don't know that it meets the strict definition of Chinese (I guess it's technically Burmese), but I've heard good things about Ming's Eatery, downtown. I haven't eaten there myself.
Ming's is good. So is Happy's, also downtown, and my favorite of them all. Both are as good as any to be found in cities where there's a large Asian population, and there are others besides just those two- Chinese food has always been very popular in Idaho Falls since its earliest beginnings. Some of our old line Japanese families who have been a part of Idaho Falls forever have long heritages as cooks and owners of restaurants.

Ada's Café (which was always a restaurant, not just a café) was an Idaho Falls institution for over 50 years, and they cooked mostly Chinese food. So was the Bonneville hotel's restaurant, owned by Sammy Wong and his son-in-law, Harry Yee. Sammy moved here from San Francisco, and his Chinese restaurant lasted even longer than Ada's. Both remained extremely popular. Both served classic Chinese-American food. Nowadays, Asian food is served here in just about every version a person can think of.

What Idaho Falls doesn't have are the faddy gourmet restaurants that are found in big cities. This is as true with our Asian restaurants as it is with all the others.

Here, folks still go for a good tasting solid meal.
If the food is good, it doesn't need to be decorated with sagebrush on the top of the food, or piled into an arty vertical stack, or sprinkled with edible glitter. People here don't come to restaurants to admire tiny portions all decorated most artfully.

They come in hungry, and expect to go out full up and satisfied. We reserve art for hanging on walls more often than eating it.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,403 times
Thank you so much! after reading your messages I am ready to move. I just want to know if theirs work for construction workers during winter? my husband works construction. I have three kids they are happy moving where its snows well actually it would be my dream come true. God bless

Old 12-19-2016, 04:25 AM

363 posts, read 557,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
We carry a grocery bag that's one too many for a lady with a baby or an old guy with a limp. We all say "Appreciate It" a lot, all the time.

And we expect others to do the same.
If you bust a line, or get impatient or rude, or are ostentatious, drive on, or a braggart, you are a jerk.
Question for you: How do people in IF handle refusals?

This was a problem I had living in Texas. If people decided they were going to do something "nice" for me, and I refused, no matter how politely, they could get kinda indignant. I'm a big believer in the "ask twice but take refusals seriously" school. What's it like in IF in terms of that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
We just stay in closer touch with each other than in other places, sort of like a den of meerkats do.

And just in general, how is IF for the not-particularly-social? The whole thing about taking time to get to know someone is fine with me, but if I'm not in the mood to talk to someone who tries to talk to me, is that seen as rude or just, "Eh, she doesn't want to talk now, OK"?

Old 01-16-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehjeh View Post
Question for you: How do people in IF handle refusals?

This was a problem I had living in Texas. If people decided they were going to do something "nice" for me, and I refused, no matter how politely, they could get kinda indignant. I'm a big believer in the "ask twice but take refusals seriously" school. What's it like in IF in terms of that?
Just a 'No, Thanks" is usually enough. People are people, though, and I'm sure you will find someone who may insist on helping you with something.

Quote:
And just in general, how is IF for the not-particularly-social? The whole thing about taking time to get to know someone is fine with me, but if I'm not in the mood to talk to someone who tries to talk to me, is that seen as rude or just, "Eh, she doesn't want to talk now, OK"?
Not everyone talks a lot. Those who don't want to chat make it pretty obvious, so they're left alone. Most of it is just our slower way of life here. There are always folks who are impatient, just like anywhere else, of course, but in general, life is pretty laid back here.

Last edited by volosong; 01-17-2017 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: inserted missing quote hypertags

Old 02-04-2017, 02:54 PM

363 posts, read 557,910 times
Thank you, Banjomike!

I've become more introverted as I get older, and more protective of my personal space. I don't mean to appear like someone on the defensive all the time. Previous experiences have had an effect, though. So I've learned to ask about things like this, as odd as they seem.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Thank you, Banjomike!

I've become more introverted as I get older, and more protective of my personal space. I don't mean to appear like someone on the defensive all the time. Previous experiences have had an effect, though. So I've learned to ask about things like this, as odd as they seem.
I think it's better to ask than to guess when it comes to being around folks you aren't accustomed to.

A lot of new folks or visitors who come to Idaho comment on our friendly ways and our willingness to chat with strangers.
I'm a native, and I'm a very good example of that tendency to chat; I've done it all my life without every thinking about much until recently.
I think it comes from several causes. One is life in a very lightly populated state. When a person lives among a small group of people, everyone gets to know everyone else pretty well, but never equally well, so there's always some little thing that's going to be small news, and it's always worth discussion when there's not much going on around town as a rule.

Another thing is any stranger offers something new to think about and talk about with those who are as familiar as mud. So a newcomer sometimes gets a lot of minor curiosity, and may be an object of attention, willingly or not. There's always speculation in gossip, and small towns gossip a lot about very minor matters.

Still another may come from a certain amount of caution anyone has in a small town when a new stranger comes to live. Folks want to know what the stranger is all about.

There are always a few people who will suspect any stranger is up to no good until proven otherwise, and there are always snoopy people in any community, so lots of questions will come from both types of people.

Any social mannerism becomes habitual over time and is passed down along with other elements of local social culture, so lots of folks will chat with strangers out of pure habit, but when they see the other person doesn't want to talk, they will stop. It's no big deal, and even lifelong natives don't always want to talk sometimes.

It's just a small social lubricant that helps folks get along with each other. You have probably already noticed everything happens more slowly here than in California. That's both good and bad, but it's the way life is here.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:47 AM

75 posts, read 71,207 times
I heard this story a while back that kind of sums it up. It's not about Idaho or about California, it's about anywhere and everywhere.

An old man was sitting on his porch one afternoon when a car pulled up and the driver rolled down his window and said they were thinking about moving to this town. He asked the local what people who live here were like.
The old man replied with a simple question... what were the people like where you came from ? The driver responded that the folks in the area they just left were miserable, and ignorant, hard to get along with and rude most of the time. The old man shook his head and said he was sorry to hear that, but that they would probably find that people here would be the same way. The driver grumbled something under his breath and drove off.
A couple of weeks later, as the old man was watering his garden, another car stopped and the driver said they were thinking about moving here, and asked what the people around here are like. The old man posed the same question, but the reply was a bit different....the driver said the people where they had lived were for the most part warm and friendly, good neighborly folks, and they were only moving here because of a job opportunity, better recreational choices, and good schools. The old man smiled and said they will probably find that people around here would be the same way. The driver thanked him, and with a friendly wave, drove off.

Sometimes it's not where you go, but what you bring with you.

Don't expect the area you chose to move into to change because you are here. I have friends and neighbors that are recent transplants from out of state who I get along with very well. I have acquaintances here who will probably never be my friends, because they continually run down the city I choose to make my home in, and continually gripe about how the area lacks this or that. I get very tired of hearing about the way things were done where they came from and how much better it was there. I didn't invite you to move here, and I am not forcing you to stay.

Some simple suggestions to help you get along ? Be here because you want to be. Be a productive part of the community. Give people a chance to welcome you. Respond in kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls