U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 12:45 PM

15 posts, read 51,552 times

Advertisements

In part of my research in deciding if Idaho Falls will be our new home, I would like to ask to any transplants, or anyone that knows a transplant from California, how they've adjusted to their new life in Idaho Falls. What was the most notable difference. I appreciate any responses, even from the perspective of the natives to their friends or family that have moved from California to Idaho Falls. Thank you in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 03:58 PM

25,681 posts, read 17,130,616 times
Well, jeez…
I guess the local transplants aren't responding.

I'm a native, but I know lots of former Californians who live here.
The thing I hear most is how our public politeness takes some getting used to. We tend to open doors for others, especially old folks and women, and if they are in a big bunch of folks, it makes no difference.
It's common for a person to hold a door open for others for a long time sometimes, and sometimes, someone else will come along and take over holding the door. They may hold it ope a long time too.

We stop and leave a hole in traffic waiting at a stoplight for someone to get in ahead of us, we slow down and make a hole for someone who wants to move over in our lane, and we all get out and give someone a push when they're stuck in a snow berm in the middle of a street, or when they're stuck in their driveway. If there is an accident or something on any of our 2-lane highways, everyone gets out and helps. If a kid dumps his bike and cries in the middle of a street, everyone comes out and helps. If a neighbor gets sick, someone comes over and checks. Often with a pot of soup or some food.

We carry a grocery bag that's one too many for a lady with a baby or an old guy with a limp. We all say "Appreciate It" a lot, all the time.

If a couple of us start visiting in a bank line or something, and don't notice our turn is up, everyone else just waits until we notice, or may give us a polite tip.
We wait while a customer visits with a clerk, or a couple of folks hang out in the last booth visiting after they've eaten and all has been cleared away, or at the driver's license bureau. A doctor waits until 2 of his patients have caught up, and the doctor will visit with one of them for a while after the medical problem has been taken care of.

And we expect others to do the same.
If you bust a line, or get impatient or rude, or are ostentatious, drive on, or a braggart, you are a jerk.

And you will stay a jerk for a very long time, even if you don't know the people at all.
Folks won't give you the stink eye or say anything, but you will definitely get an unwelcoming vibe, and you will have to show you have become one of us for a very long time afterward by doing what we do more than we do it ourselves.

Those who don't catch the vibe always end up waiting for a very long time at a counter, or for a table, or for a haircut until they finally get the point. If you become stuck, they will still give you a push, but won't give you the time of the day afterward.

On the other hand, if you come out first and help push a car out of a snowbank, or pick up that grocery bag, or a dollar bill that accidentially was un-noticed and give it back, that's noticed, too, and also remembered forever favorably. A few good turns wipes away the other stuff pretty fast. When the common good turn comes first by you, you're instantly in good graces in ways you will never be aware of.

The other thing new Californians also say is how indifferent we are to efforts to make a good first impression. As a rule, a new neighbor does best by becoming acquainted a bit at a time, often with your closest neighbors first, and then with other parents at school, or church or wherever.

We all know a lot more people on a shallow level who are around us at home, at work, and out on the town, than we have as close friends, but Californians often can't make the distinction between the two because of our propensity to visit with everyone including strangers. Very often, Californians tend to think we are extra friendly, but we really aren't. We just stay in closer touch with each other than in other places, sort of like a den of meerkats do.

New folks who show some flash- expensive clothing worn too often, a flashy car, stuff like that, especially if they show any brag with the flash, always have a hard time fitting in. Longtimers notice all that stuff, but we don't care much for pretension. And few of us are impressed by too-obvious wealth, even though we like to conspicuously spend ourselves, once in a while.

Once you get the hang of it, you will find it easy and great. We live life slower here, and cherish the small stuff. Not because we are necessarily nicer people, but because life in Idaho is challenging, and often unexpectedly challenging, for us all equally. We all in this together more because we have to be than anything else, but we try to make that necessity as pleasant as possible.

Old Mother Idaho controls her children's behavior much more than life in California does. Civilization is a very thin veneer here, and wilderness still prevails and overwhelms, so we try extra hard to keep things civilized.

Last edited by banjomike; 08-07-2015 at 04:10 PM..

Old 08-07-2015, 04:57 PM

Nice! I do those things here, lol, and find myself, stuck with the door as my family heads to the car. On many occasions, but have had the door left to shut in my face, while hands full or babies in arms, too many times Great response!

Old 08-07-2015, 05:01 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,936,030 times
I do recall your visit to the area. As we suggest with others, come back and stay a while just checking out the area. If you are putting a job transfer in place, you can check local facilities. If you are self employed and have transferable work, you can check to see if everything you need for your businessay is in place. If you would be leaving a job and hope to find similar work, you can talk to potential employers to determine how busy you would be, or if a special license is needed etc. Obviously a family has to have a source or sources of income.

I hope some former CA residents will answer you, but remember, Cleosmom already did. I don't know her availability for a while. CA residents aren't seen as differently in eastern ID as perhaps NID. However, this is an active place. It helps if you have connections to your work, to a church, or major volunteer organization, as you will have new friends the first week here.

I think a move could be difficult for anyone from any location if they have no connection to anything and just move hoping to find a job. I think there is more stress with children, if firm connections to something or someone don't exist prior to moving. if you belong to a church, ask your pastor or priest to connect you to the local congregation.

I wish you the best of luck as you and your family connect with those you seek locally.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:20 PM

Thanks MSR!

Old 08-08-2015, 07:55 AM

4,754 posts, read 16,559,740 times
Having moved from CA over 20 years ago, I truly needed no adjustment. We left (Fresno) because I was growing tired of it being a self-centered area. Aside from close friends and a few family members it seemed everyone was out for themselves only, that's NOT who I am.

Coming here was nothing but refreshing in my eyes. As mentioned, folks hold open doors for including the young men who are being raised right, they wave, smile and ask how your day is going.

I work retail and the one thing that will drive me batty is knowing full well someone is a transplant from anywhere and they bellyache that we don't do things in Idaho like they do "at home". Don't like it? Fine then, go home, no one is holding you hostage.

Are there some things that I might wish were different? Yes, but considering Utopia is non-existent, that can/will happen anywhere. Those things are not large enough to make me want to leave.

Even though the are has grown a chunk in the past few decades, it still has a small town vibe which I embrace. Neighbors from down the road that only know you in passing are kind enough to clear your driveway with their snowblower, I can go into almost anywhere we trade and folks know us on a first name basis, folks tend to do things for others without any expectation at all.

Do we have some riff-raff here? You bet we do, don't know where they came from, but every city has them.

Aside from 95% wonderful folks my second thrill is having four distinct seasons, Fresno had two (Summer and Fog). I love watching the leaves turn, snowy days in Winter and rain storms in the Spring and Summer.

Is this area meant for everyone? No, not at all, but I see nothing wrong with it. Granted, it cost more to fly out of IF than say driving to Salt Lake and catching a flight, do I complain? No, because I CHOSE to live here, gotta take the good with the not so good

Old 08-08-2015, 09:54 AM

5,582 posts, read 5,596,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I'm a native, but I know lots of former Californians who live here.
The thing I hear most is...
Note to self: Read banjomike's post every morning after I wake up and before getting out of bed to start my day. Read it again when I start getting selfish thoughts.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:32 AM

Thanks Cleosmom. Our reasons for leaving, seem to match your old feelings of Fresno. We have children, and I can't wrap my head around who they'd cross paths with here, in their lives. Theyre sweet kind children, and want them to be sweet kind adults, and have positive community influences. Cleosmom, did you have children at the time? I'm sure it's rumors, but I've read that kids can be harsh to California kids, in school, and that their might be an unwelcoming vibe for non Mormon children. I know this might be overblown, but I have to ask.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:10 PM

25,681 posts, read 17,130,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Note to self: Read banjomike's post every morning after I wake up and before getting out of bed to start my day. Read it again when I start getting selfish thoughts.
I ranted on too long.
What it all amounts to is: Your Turn Is Coming. Once a newcomer understands that, in all its variations of meaning, the patience becomes easy.

Even old natives grow impatient once in a while, but impatience out here is like trying to push a loaded boxcar.
You will exhaust yourself long before you will move the boxcar an inch, and the boxcar could care less about your exhaustion.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:40 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,936,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifornianWantingOut View Post
Thanks Cleosmom. Our reasons for leaving, seem to match your old feelings of Fresno. We have children, and I can't wrap my head around who they'd cross paths with here, in their lives. Theyre sweet kind children, and want them to be sweet kind adults, and have positive community influences. Cleosmom, did you have children at the time? I'm sure it's rumors, but I've read that kids can be harsh to California kids, in school, and that their might be an unwelcoming vibe for non Mormon children. I know this might be overblown, but I have to ask.
I'll let Cleosmom answer if she wants to.

However, as I wrote this a.m. in the D #93 thread, Idaho kids can be treated poorly in other states too, or accepted. That is a two-way street. Military kids can be treated differently or embraced in many locations in the U.S. etc. I believe parents' expectations or lack of teaching/preparing children can play a significant role in what a child experiences.

I think no matter where people move, if parents get educated about local customs, traditions and more, they can help their children tremendously. Vaccinations and other things kids need for school can be a bad experience or a learning experience, based on how parents prepare their children.

Cleosmom, since you were born in CA, you probably have more to offer about that question, especially because it was directed to you. I give the OP a lot of credit for asking instead of assuming!

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls