U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2015, 06:12 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,685,816 times

Advertisements

As we've talked about off and on it appears some are going to dedicate a lot of time and effort to trying to make certain this time EITC is allowed to become a Community College. I have some questions that hopefully some will know the answers.

1. The video talks about asking Idaho Falls residents. However, we all know even currently students come from beyond I.F. Would surrounding counties in eastern Idaho have a say and any financial responsibilities? Or would this strictly be residents of Idaho Falls?

2. I know at least twice before when EITC explored Community College status where students could retrain for careers specific to the area or high school students could take classes and graduate from high school with a quarter or semester of college credits too, that Idaho State University (ISU) got in the mix. ISU states to create or further expand general ed programs or even some higher level specialty classes for a major requirement, that EITC will decrease ISU's enrollment.

Additionally, ISU promised at least 20 new classrooms and new degrees to be finished entirely in Idaho Falls. I remember the press announcement very well from spring with ISU's President saying they were adding the I.F. classrooms by remodeling some former INL space into ISU classrooms and labs. However, once again nothing has happened at ISU-I.F., while some multi-million dollar projects were completed in Poky. Very recently, like in the past four - six weeks ISU started to remodel the Bennington Center in I.F.

What do you think ISU's role is with EITC? Or should EITC offer what employers and students want in I.F., INL, and the other areas served and ignore ISU?

3. How much more growth can Hitt and 17th handle? I'm a fan of what Salt Lake Community College did when it was building programs and dealing with a large group of students. Instead of building more buildings at the main campus immediately, they focused on the programs and what students needed. Consequently, they had certain programs at vacant buildings in three or four places. Eventually buildings were built, but there is no reason IMO some of the vacant properties in town couldn't be used the same way. Two examples would be the former Curtiss-Wright location at First St. and Woodruff. There is a lot of space in that building. Some of the N. Holmes/E. Anderson former car dealerships would be perfect for additional auto mechanics or maybe even the Robotic Technology programs as well as others. While everyone might not be on the same campus initially, higher education and certificates in programs could be earned with limited remodeling of some existing buildings, and not more traffic where EITC is located.

I'll stop there for now. What do you think about the proposal to upgrade EITC to a Community College?

http://www.localnews8.com/news/talks...erway/36575724
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 10:59 PM

One of my key questions is should residents beyond Idaho Falls proper be asked about this? My understanding is a Supermajority would have to vote to approve the funding. That is one reason I suggested initially, if passed, the SLCC model could be followed initially utilizing large vacant buildings for certain majors while focusing the state funding on the faculty, equipment needed to teach, support personnel etc. Students would get the education. The programs could get started sooner than buildings built.

I'm not sure who owns the land north of EITC and whether buildings could be built there eventually or not. Ultimately, I think it is interesting where the City of I.F. zoned this year for higher education. It wasn't by EITC, instead it was more in the University Place to N. Holmes area. Of course I'd like to see a campus of buildings; however, I'd like to see students from high school and older ones retraining with Certificates for completing programs and/or Associates degrees more.

Rick Warner Ford's $10 million dollar truck center is going to require specialized employees. So will GAIN and other local businesses.

Also, doesn't some committee or person at the state level have to approve this? How do we know it would pass? The one big plus is having CSI here working on this. The state can't block this as easily given CSI's growth in higher education in the state, IMO.

Looking forward to your questions and thoughts about this.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:14 PM

162 posts, read 144,810 times
I wish EITC would become what ISU isn't, which is AVAILABLE IN IDAHO FALLS.
Every time I find an ISU course that sounds interesting, it is only available in POCATELLO.
As much as I'd like to pursue some education opportunities and build some skills, I'll be damned if I'll drive an hour (or more) each way, for the pleasure of schooling in Pocatello!

Old 01-05-2016, 10:13 PM

25 posts, read 16,314 times
I agree, Ret.InAmmon, I am a senior in High School currently and I would like to stay in Idaho Falls and be able to pursue what I would like to do in college. It would defintely help out the city along with the residents who want to study and live in IF.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.InAmmon View Post
I wish EITC would become what ISU isn't, which is AVAILABLE IN IDAHO FALLS.
Every time I find an ISU course that sounds interesting, it is only available in POCATELLO.
As much as I'd like to pursue some education opportunities and build some skills, I'll be damned if I'll drive an hour (or more) each way, for the pleasure of schooling in Pocatello!
Amen to that. I get so frustrated with how ISU continually ties the hands of the I.F.-ISU and EITC students and doesn't treat area residents well. My real hope is in CSI. They are building a brick and mortar building for a four year university after their superb work in Twin Falls for years. As CSI becomes more prominent in Idaho Falls, check them out. Also, the U. of Idaho teaches some non-credit courses at University Place.

If you like Fine Arts, BYU-Idaho is the best in the state.

There is a CSI thread here. You might enjoy reading it.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:55 AM

This is more than I thought would happen right now. This seems very plausible.

Governor Otter supports making EITC a community college | News - Home

Old 01-12-2016, 11:09 AM

5,252 posts, read 17,417,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
This is more than I thought would happen right now. This seems very plausible.

Governor Otter supports making EITC a community college | News - Home
I think it sounds great!

Old 01-12-2016, 11:18 AM

434 posts, read 370,951 times
MSR, maybe you could designate this as the higher education thread. I agree about having hopes in CSI. They did big things for Twin Falls and Nampa both. What I dont know is how involved they will be if EITC is doing it on their own. Can the 8B market support two seperate community colleges? Or would they partner together somehow? The latter makes more sense. And even then, is EITC's campus even big enough?. I believe they own the land to the north. Possibly even that small strip on the other side of hitt in front of sand creek (not that it could be used for anything)

I read something recently that suggested (to me) a BYU-I presence in Ammon. What I saw was maybe more vague than what I just wrote. The idea makes sense to me. Ammon was founded by Mormons. Im not so educated about some history so please correct me if needed, but didnt this Ricks fellow (Ricks College) live in Ammon?

I am not sure what this community college tax district means to universities public or private.

Last edited by Theotherdude; 01-12-2016 at 12:35 PM..

Old 01-16-2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
MSR, maybe you could designate this as the higher education thread. Not a bad idea but not one I'm willing to do currently. Just because the Gov. Proposes something that doesn't mean the Legislature will approve it. Maybe when this is funded a new thread would be appropriate for Higher Education, but the whole point of starting this thread was to ask the question. Will the Legislature approve the funding? And what will ISU do this time? ISU always seems to build promised programs in I.F. or propose a merger etc, Just waiting to see what ISU does with the full Legislature watching.

I agree about having hopes in CSI. They did big things for Twin Falls and Nampa both. What I dont know is how involved they will be if EITC is doing it on their own. Can the 8B market support two seperate community colleges? Or would they partner together somehow? The latter makes more sense. And even then, is EITC's campus even big enough?. I believe they own the land to the north. Possibly even that small strip on the other side of hitt in front of sand creek (not that it could be used for anything)

I think Chris answered this abut a year ago in the CSI thread. Per Chris, I believe he said the two would work together. I don't know the specifics only that CSI can and has gotten it done previously. It most likely would come in under the College of Western Idaho, or whatever the 4 year facility in Boise (that was a CSI Center) is named.

As I wrote much earlier, if the emphasis is on getting up and running to educate, the Community College could rent space from vacant, former car dealerships for auto mechanics, diesel mechanics and even the robotics program. A building like the one on 1st and Woodruff could be leased for general education courses. It wouldn't cost too much to get some facilities utilized while the entire space issue is re-examined. It's what Salt Lake Community College did. Now they have several 3-4 story buildings on a landlocked campus. But they educated both at smaller buildings on campus and using vacant buildings in the community. It worked so well they've kept several of the larger facilities in their educational network.

I read something recently that suggested (to me) a BYU-I presence in Ammon. What I saw was maybe more vague than what I just wrote. The idea makes sense to me. Ammon was founded by Mormons. Im not so educated about some history so please correct me if needed, but didnt this Ricks fellow (Ricks College) live in Ammon? Good, sounds like you have a connection to BYU-Idaho. How come you are asking me? I have NO direct connections to BYU-Idaho.

Your search in even Wiki would yield the same info as mine. Umm, no. Nothing about being named after Ammon resident. The Ricks family was in Rexburg. Interesting how it was first built to make sure there was a high school.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brig...3Idaho#History

I am not sure what this community college tax district means to universities public or private.
What counties will pay for the school. I think it should be all of Eastern Idaho, but Bannock County will balk, although students could get the first two years for 1/3 of what ISU charges for tuition.

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 01-16-2016 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: Sorry the blue didn't continue. I kept getting the signs it was. My answers follow the questions. Hopefully, others have m

Old 02-04-2016, 11:35 AM

Default The Process

There aren't a lot of steps to converting EITC to a Community College because the groundwork has been mostly completely the last several years.

1. Legislature approval of $5,000,000.

2. Deciding which counties will be included in the Tax District. Bonneville, Jefferson and maybe Bingham. Only Bonneville and Jefferson are in the I.F. MSA.. Too bad N. Bingham isn't separate than the rest of Bingham. However, Bonneville, Jefferson and Bingham are in the CSA. This could be a little tricky.

3. This is the biggest step, IMO, after discussion of whether want to proceed or not, if voters want to then it goes to a vote for those who would be taxed. Presently, that would require the 2/3 +1 Supermajority vote approving a Community College.

4. If approved, it would take approximately four months to become accredited, thank CSI for that.

5. Faculty would have to be hired. At this point, CSI would close in Idaho Falls and most likely their current faculty could be employed by the Community College. Their students would roll over too.

6. Then you have a Community College, with a new name.

The plusses: Infrastructure is in place. No new buildings would be needed up to an enrollment of 4,000 students.
Students from other counties could attend, but their tuition would be $50.00 more/credit hour. The current President of EITC was a previous employee of the CSI system and got a site, possibly the one in the Treasure Valley that is now the College of Western Idaho, accredited. Having an experienced leader saves $ and time, in my experience.

My hope: ISU converts to upper division classes in Idaho Falls only. In theory, a student could remain in Current housing and a job but complete a four year degree cheaper in Idaho Falls vs. Pocatello.

The negatives: Property Taxes would go up an unknown amount. Numbers will be available as the discussion starts. But voters have to remember the Savings both in tution, housing and living expenses and more college kids could be employed keeping 3,000 - 4,000 students in Idaho Falls vs. other locations.

Community College isn't for everyone, but part of the students would be older workers who have been displaced from their jobs. Kids uncertain of what they want to do wouldn't spend as much money on tuition until they decided what career they wanted.

What do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls