Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 03:57 PM

434 posts, read 416,692 times

Advertisements

There was an article in yesterdays PR about Craters of the Moon going national park status. Ill buy that having "national park" instead of "monument" in its name would boost visitation. But hwy 20 would essentially become a toll road. Does INL have say in it? If so would they be for or against the extra traffic through the site? The small desert town, Arco would benefit from it economically as well as this whole region. It could mean longer stays in IF hotels for tourists wanting to see Yellowstone and Craters. What do you think of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 07:42 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Why would hwy 20 become a toll road?

There would not even be a reason to make Hwy 26 that goes through the monument a toll road!

There are National Parks that have highways that run through them that are NOT toll roads; nor booths for the park.

Great Smokey Mountain NP...Hwy 411 from Gatlinburg to Cherokee is not a toll road; it is a TN or NC state highway; depending on what side of the border you are in.

Closer to home...Capital Reef NP has UT hwy 24 run right through it.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:35 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
Craters NP has been a member of the National Park System since 1924, and expanded in November 2000.
Looks like a interesting place to visit. Will have to put it on the Bucket list, of places to camp!
Scott

Old 01-27-2016, 06:26 AM

Craters of the Moon is not a NP; yet. Currently it is a National Monument and there are notable differences. There has been talk, as noted by the OP, that they may change to a NP in the future. They believe a NP will bring in more visitors than a NM. They might be right!

Old 01-27-2016, 10:19 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Craters of the Moon is not a NP; yet. Currently it is a National Monument and there are notable differences. There has been talk, as noted by the OP, that they may change to a NP in the future. They believe a NP will bring in more visitors than a NM. They might be right!
Ops my bad! Still looks like a nice place to camp, on the bucket list!
Scott

Old 01-28-2016, 12:41 AM

434 posts, read 416,692 times
The draw to having 3 national parks with fairly close proximity instead of two, (both in wyoming) could have a substantial impact on tourism to the entire region. Has the NP status been requested in the sawtooth range previously? How lengthy process was it to convert others to NP?

Old 01-28-2016, 07:01 AM

I believe now it takes an act of congress to create a National Park, while a National Monument can be created by the President through the use of the 1906 Antiquities Act.

But there is input from the state, and the National Park service. NPS I guess does some calculations and studies to see if a NP is viable and then the congress determines if it is worth the price. I believe the National Park Service loses money on a yearly basis. Some parks, make money, but on average most do not. The most visited NP is the Great Smoky Mountain NP in TN and NC and they do not charge an entrance fee. And it would take the Tennessee congress to allow a fee. A rather unique situation for the NPS service. (Not all National Monuments are run by the NPS; some are managed by the BLM.)

So the congress has to allocate extra money if a new park is added.

I'm really not sure a Craters of the Moon NP will make a big attraction just because there are two other parks three hours away. It will probably add more tourists, but my opinion, it will be like Capital Reef NP in UT. Everyone goes to see Zion, Bryce on western part of the state, then they jump over to Arches and Canyonlands on the Eastern side of the state.

Some drive through it on Hwy 24, pull of at some areas to take some photos, but they don't stay, they just travel through. And since it is hwy 24 through the park from Torrey to Hanksville, it is a free drive. Very pretty, and actually a fantastic place to visit; however the best part of Capital Reef requires a 4x4 and some tents.

Time will tell.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:48 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
The draw to having 3 national parks with fairly close proximity instead of two, (both in wyoming) could have a substantial impact on tourism to the entire region. Has the NP status been requested in the sawtooth range previously? How lengthy process was it to convert others to NP?
Thank goodness f5 can answer the other questions. Arco residents have been working on this since ~ 2014. I know they asked the City of Idaho Falls to write a letter of support in 2015 or maybe 2014.

What I thought was an excellent question that you posted, Theotherdude, is one I'd also thought of and forgotten, is INL. The INL of the future is not the INL of the past. I have no idea who decides the importance of National Park designation vs. security at a national lab. There may be ways to co-exist or INL may not want any increased traffic that way.

The other part IDK, is NASA trains future astronauts at Craters of the Moon. I don't know if NASA could continue in a designated National Park.

Yes, I think a few developer's are planning on increased tourism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: