U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 06:32 PM

25,713 posts, read 17,150,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Thanks for that info
Looks like from Boise to the Panhandle might be better.
No. It's worse. At least by the map that was linked by a poster.

The map was broken into more likely, average, and least likely for radon presence. There is no least-likely place in Idaho- it's all more or average.
Most of southern Idaho is average by the map, including Bannock county, the home of Pocatello.

As I say- radon can be present anywhere. If it scares you, then it's worth the money to have any place tested. It would also pay to inquire if a prospective home has been tested as well; the realtors won't usually volunteer that information, but would have to respond to a direct inquiry about a test.

I mentioned the cheap at-home tests, but there are professionals who can come and test and deliver the results much quicker and more accurately.

I never bothered with any of it when I purchased my present home, but only because I was so familiar with the house before I bought it. I'm the 4th owner, and I personally knew the other 3. Two of them were in real estate, so if there had been radon here, I'm sure I would have been informed.

But radon can creep. So this thread has got me thinking about buying a home test, as I've now lived here for 15 years. It's cheap medical insurance, I think, especially when the remedy is so easy and cheap.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 09:17 PM

3,029 posts, read 1,334,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

The map was broken into more likely, average, and least likely for radon presence. There is no least-likely place in Idaho- it's all more or average.
Most of southern Idaho is average by the map, including Bannock county, the home of Pocatello.

As I say- radon can be present anywhere. If it scares you, then it's worth the money to have any place tested. It would also pay to inquire if a prospective home has been tested as well; the realtors won't usually volunteer that information, but would have to respond to a direct inquiry about a test.

I mentioned the cheap at-home tests, but there are professionals who can come and test and deliver the results much quicker and more accurately.

I never bothered with any of it when I purchased my present home, but only because I was so familiar with the house before I bought it. I'm the 4th owner, and I personally knew the other 3. Two of them were in real estate, so if there had been radon here, I'm sure I would have been informed.

But radon can creep. So this thread has got me thinking about buying a home test, as I've now lived here for 15 years. It's cheap medical insurance, I think, especially when the remedy is so easy and cheap.
But it's much more than only radon. It's the uranium, and other contaminants that were left in the soil by certain processing plants per the articles I posted.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:05 PM

3,013 posts, read 2,106,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

Thanks for that info

As previously mentioned, going by that map California has a higher radon rating than Idaho if that map is accurate.
But we will keep an open mind in the places we look at like Rigby, Rexburg and perhaps Boise but maybe 20 to 30 miles away from Boise.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
But it's much more than only radon. It's the uranium, and other contaminants that were left in the soil by certain processing plants per the articles I posted.
I wouldn't think that they would build houses on top of all of that at this time unless it was or will be cleaned up if that is possible.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't think that they would build houses on top of all of that at this time unless it was or will be cleaned up if that is possible.
i sure hope not. But I lost interest rather quickly after reading about it. Back in the 70's I used to work with a couple types of radiation at a submarine shipyard in Connecticut. That was enough radiation for me of any kind, lol. Good luck finding a nice place.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
i sure hope not. But I lost interest rather quickly after reading about it. Back in the 70's I used to work with a couple types of radiation at a submarine shipyard in Connecticut. That was enough radiation for me of any kind, lol. Good luck finding a nice place.
good for you get outta there.
THANKS!

Old 08-26-2019, 09:54 PM

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2019/0...idaho-reactor/

Old 08-27-2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I just started reading it now. It looks interesting.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:19 AM

7,632 posts, read 5,328,855 times
Good grief. This is a common phenomenon throughout most of the US. I personally don't worry about it having lived in Pocatello, Idaho Falls, and currently in Tri-Cities, WA. The chances you will be harmed by this are extremely slim. In fact, just walking outside your house, getting in your car, and driving to work would provide about 1,000 times greater risk.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Good grief. This is a common phenomenon throughout most of the US. I personally don't worry about it having lived in Pocatello, Idaho Falls, and currently in Tri-Cities, WA. The chances you will be harmed by this are extremely slim. In fact, just walking outside your house, getting in your car, and driving to work would provide about 1,000 times greater risk.
Just doing that here (driving)your chances are even higher and worse of getting killed and or injured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls