U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 03:57 PM

3 posts, read 1,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Would this include the Idaho Falls area too?
Is Rigby full of Radon?
Yes, I bought a home in Rigby only to drive over 800 miles back home and got the inspection that showed unsafe moderate levels of radon in the basement. The basement was huge and was going to be my gym, also room for a pool table, and jukebox. I am no longer looking there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 04:31 PM

891 posts, read 400,333 times
There are lots of places 'full or radon'. This is very common in parts of the Appalachians in the east; the maps where it is highest are all over the internet. There are plenty of ways to remediate radon and keep the levels at or below naturally occurring levels. Test and remediate if it's of concern; it usually just means some sort of basement or crawlspace ventilation system. Nothing difficult.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:33 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,101,016 times

Old 09-07-2019, 05:11 PM

25,681 posts, read 17,130,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattycake57 View Post
Yes, I bought a home in Rigby only to drive over 800 miles back home and got the inspection that showed unsafe moderate levels of radon in the basement. The basement was huge and was going to be my gym, also room for a pool table, and jukebox. I am no longer looking there.
Why not?
All it takes to clear the radon out is a small squirrel cage fan to blow it outside. If you could get a hot deal on the house due to the radon presence, that fan would be a might cheap remedy that could save you thousands of bucks on the buy.

If it was me, I'd go to a plumber, ask how much it would cost for radon remediation, and see if you can use the scare to your advantage before giving up on the house.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:47 PM

3,029 posts, read 1,332,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Why not?
All it takes to clear the radon out is a small squirrel cage fan to blow it outside. If you could get a hot deal on the house due to the radon presence, that fan would be a might cheap remedy that could save you thousands of bucks on the buy.

If it was me, I'd go to a plumber, ask how much it would cost for radon remediation, and see if you can use the scare to your advantage before giving up on the house.
If they don't want to look there any longer then why bug them about it. It's their money, they can live where they want. After all it's not only in your house. It is probably widespread in the area in places you visit that are not taken care of properly. Why take a chance. Are cancer, and other diseases more prevalent in the area? Many things to take into consideration. But for them, it's a deal breaker.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:17 PM

891 posts, read 400,333 times
The radon levels are considered high enough to be either 'moderate' or elevated' of in at least 2/3 of the USA. The EPA recommends not taking it for granted anywhere. Bottom line is that it is not any unusual concern in one place versus another... test and remediate if necessary regardless of where you live. There is NO spot in the USA where it is guaranteed to not be an issue.

Making any big deal of it in Idaho or Pennsylvania or Tennessee or Kansas or Florida or California seems to expose ignorance of the facts, and perhaps of the source: rocks and dirt. If it concerns you, it should concern in you in the whole North American continent because Canada is not any different, and Mexico has plenty of igneous rocks that are highest in radon. Metamorphic rocks can be the same way as much of that is formed from igneous rocks. As is dirt.. and water that flows through such rock.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...nemapcolor.pdf

Other useful info:
https://www.radon.com/radon_facts/

Old 09-07-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Why not?

Use it as a negotiation tool and upon contingency of sale. See if it can be remedied or removed.

Besides Rigby has some very nice homes and some are in very nice rural areas.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
The radon levels are considered high enough to be either 'moderate' or elevated' of in at least 2/3 of the USA. The EPA recommends not taking it for granted anywhere. Bottom line is that it is not any unusual concern in one place versus another... test and remediate if necessary regardless of where you live. There is NO spot in the USA where it is guaranteed to not be an issue.

Making any big deal of it in Idaho or Pennsylvania or Tennessee or Kansas or Florida or California seems to expose ignorance of the facts, and perhaps of the source: rocks and dirt. If it concerns you, it should concern in you in the whole North American continent because Canada is not any different, and Mexico has plenty of igneous rocks that are highest in radon. Metamorphic rocks can be the same way as much of that is formed from igneous rocks. As is dirt.. and water that flows through such rock.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...nemapcolor.pdf

Other useful info:
https://www.radon.com/radon_facts/

Yes makes sense to me.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
There are lots of places 'full or radon'. This is very common in parts of the Appalachians in the east; the maps where it is highest are all over the internet. There are plenty of ways to remediate radon and keep the levels at or below naturally occurring levels. Test and remediate if it's of concern; it usually just means some sort of basement or crawlspace ventilation system. Nothing difficult.
You mean this radon issue only applies to houses that have basements only?

Old 09-07-2019, 10:10 PM

25,681 posts, read 17,130,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
You mean this radon issue only applies to houses that have basements only?
No radon can concentrate in crawl spaces too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls