Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 11:32 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times

Advertisements

High rents and shortages of apartments have finally crash landed in Idaho Falls

Waves of Californians have started to flock east side of Idaho starting last year. Yeah, there are that many people. I've been saying it for the last 2 years to many skeptics. It's happening now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 12:32 PM

894 posts, read 2,201,803 times
This isn't good to hear! We are trying to move to the ID area from Arizona to get away from the hoards of Californians who are flooding into Northern Arizona! They're like a plague. Destroying the small town, safe atmosphere, and driving the cost of everything sky high.

Last edited by OurNextAdventure; 03-20-2018 at 12:51 PM..

Old 03-20-2018, 04:11 PM

385 posts, read 526,335 times
how many Californians have moved to Eastern Idaho over the past two years?

Old 03-20-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
how many Californians have moved to Eastern Idaho over the past two years?
by the thousands, if not 10,000

Old 03-20-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDesertRat86 View Post
This isn't good to hear! We are trying to move to the ID area from Arizona to get away from the hoards of Californians who are flooding into Northern Arizona! They're like a plague. Destroying the small town, safe atmosphere, and driving the cost of everything sky high.
1950's-1970's, California was where Idaho is facing now: cheap housing, job opportunities and lots of room to grow for all those east coast and midwestern transplants. Now, it's the Inner Mountain states turn!

Old 03-20-2018, 10:48 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
1950's-1970's, California was where Idaho is facing now: cheap housing, job opportunities and lots of room to grow for all those east coast and midwestern transplants. Now, it's the Inner Mountain states turn!
Be careful what you wish for. Growth is good. Too much growth is not so good.

When I first moved to Pocatello in 2006, my rent for a 2-BR in the northern bench was $450 per month. Certainly not a luxury apartment, but was fine for my needs.

Moved to a better, more modern 1-BR apartment in IF in 2009 and paid $660. Eventually raised to $690, before I left the area in early 2015.

I'm currently living in the Tri-Cities, WA. Growth is out of control here. Houses sell in 72 hours. Rents are sky high, easily over 1,000 for a basic 1-BR, more likely around $1200. Real estate prices are going up, but still well below Seattle and Portland, which feeds the the local growth.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Be careful what you wish for. Growth is good. Too much growth is not so good.

When I first moved to Pocatello in 2006, my rent for a 2-BR in the northern bench was $450 per month. Certainly not a luxury apartment, but was fine for my needs.

Moved to a better, more modern 1-BR apartment in IF in 2009 and paid $660. Eventually raised to $690, before I left the area in early 2015.

I'm currently living in the Tri-Cities, WA. Growth is out of control here. Houses sell in 72 hours. Rents are sky high, easily over 1,000 for a basic 1-BR, more likely around $1200. Real estate prices are going up, but still well below Seattle and Portland, which feeds the the local growth.
I dreaded it: saw it coming when no one in eastern Idaho did. They would say there aren't that many people to make it happen. I went, "most likely it will happen, and time will tell." They're leaving California in droves, pushing pedal to the medal as of mid last year, and brace yourselves. Well, it's happening as I dreaded.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:55 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
There are more people from Washington state moving to Idaho than from California. Growth is going to happen. It has for the past several hundred years. The only thing we can do is manage it in a way for the benefit of all.

https://stateimpact.npr.org/idaho/ma...oves-to-idaho/

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-21-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
There are more people from Washington state moving to Idaho than from California. Growth is going to happen. It has for the past several hundred years. The only thing we can do is manage it in a way for the benefit of all.

https://stateimpact.npr.org/idaho/ma...oves-to-idaho/
Actually meant influx of people from high priced areas finally making it over the mountain range to eastern Idaho like Idaho Falls. Boise felt it first back in 2016 and now Idaho Falls and others are feeling the rental spikes.

Remember: Californians started to flock to Oregon and Washington back in the 80's, and prices spiked in the big way in the 90's. Boise started getting that after 2005. Now, it's happening in eastern Idaho. They will really feel it this summer as hordes of people flee high priced west coast cities and even Boise. In California, everyone is planning to flee to Idaho and Colorado.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:55 PM

12,202 posts, read 7,221,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDesertRat86 View Post
They (Californians) vote democratic and ruin their state (with high taxes, influx of foreigners, crime, etc.) Then they flee the mess they created only to try to recreate the same thing in the new place. Repeat and rinse until they run out of places to run to.

Same here on the east coast with NY’ers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls