U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 10:08 AM

8,440 posts, read 12,691,886 times

Advertisements

Today I saw something which made me pause and think for a while. It was the obituary of Vern Kelsch.

The local media is covering the redevelopment of two downtown properties in Idaho Falls extensively the last two days. Some of us here have been known about the building and the lot to be redeveloped for five months when the property was purchased. We've openly discussed what possibly could or couldn't be built on the northeast corner of Broadway and Memorial Dr. Some refer to that now vacant property as where the Savings Center use to be. Some of us, including me, opt simply for the Kelsch property or simply as Kelsch.

Had I not glanced through Bizmojo's description of the redevelopment I wouldn't have known that it was Vern Kelsch who owned the Savings Center.

I was struck how details of what might be built on Kelsch and the obituary of the man who owned the property the longest were a short distance from each other, in digital media. It seemed surreal to be witnessing this part of Idaho Falls' history.

I don't know any of Mr. Kelsch's surviving family. However, should they someday read this, due to an Internet search or other, I express my condolences for the loss of Mr. Kelsch. He kept his grocery store open even when the chain stores started moving in. Some might say his store was an anchor for other businesses to locate downtown. He served his clientele the best he could. I bought occasional purchases in his store decades ago as a teen.

Mr. Kelsch will not be forgotten. Nor will the timing of when the Idaho Falls Redevelopment Agency purchased his property citing it as the flagship, the jewel, the key to downtown redevelopment, just a few months before his passing.

RIP Mr. Kelsch
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 07:57 PM

Arrow Movie Needs Actors

This isn't a random thought as much as unusual occurance. A new movie is going to be filmed in Idaho Falls. Actors are needed. Here is a chance for anyone who has the acting bug

Movie that will shoot in Idaho Falls needs actors | Community | kpvi.com

Old 02-18-2016, 11:18 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,898,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
This isn't a random thought as much as unusual occurance. A new movie is going to be filmed in Idaho Falls. Actors are needed. Here is a chance for anyone who has the acting bug

Movie that will shoot in Idaho Falls needs actors | Community | kpvi.com
Are you talking about extra's? Good way to see how a movie is made. My house and lawn was used when i was in Junior High School, as a movie set. In Burbank Calif. They filmed a week getting the shots they needed. A young Kurt Russel was in the movie. It was a Disney movie in the early 1970's. Do not remember the movie's name? I do know it was interesting to watch making a movie!
Scott

Old 04-16-2016, 05:21 PM

Some people understand what really matters in life ~ ~

Idaho Falls teen's 'touching' prom proposal goes viral - East Idaho News

Old 07-05-2016, 01:08 AM

The 4th of July Freedom Festival Fireworks....31 minutes.

Melaleuca Freedom Celebration - East Idaho News

All rights belong to East Idaho News, KLCE, and Melalueca

Feel free to leave a comment about the largest firework show west of the MS River.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:11 PM

35 posts, read 60,432 times
I hope to drive 50 miles north and see the Idaho Falls show some day. I've never been disappointed in Pocatello's show (launched from the Bannock County Fairgrounds and now viewed from the Portneuf Wellness Complex which is a couple of hundred yards north). While running "only" 28-29 minutes , the fireworks are always synchronized to music broadcast by KZBQ Country 93.7FM and KORR 104 . There is always a full day of bands, food vendors, bounce houses and zip lines for the kids, and now a "beach" party and games early in the day. So glad that East Idaho has so many great events for the Fourth -- I've heard Soda Spring's has a great one, too!

Old 07-07-2016, 11:29 AM

3,783 posts, read 3,711,954 times
Not a lover of fireworks, either professional or especially the idiots with bottle rockets down the street. However, after seeing Thunder over Louisville (largest show in the USA) a few years back (2007 I believe), that was the last professional show I visited.

One reason is I do not like the sounds and smells associated with large exploding items unless I am the reason for the explosions. And I HATE large crowds.

However, from all who have taken the time to visit IF's fireworks, they say it is a nice show. So for those who like fireworks, and don't want to travel to another state, it is probably well worth it.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Not a lover of fireworks, either professional or especially the idiots with bottle rockets down the street. However, after seeing Thunder over Louisville (largest show in the USA) a few years back (2007 I believe), that was the last professional show I visited.

One reason is I do not like the sounds and smells associated with large exploding items unless I am the reason for the explosions. And I HATE large crowds.

However, from all who have taken the time to visit IF's fireworks, they say it is a nice show. So for those who like fireworks, and don't want to travel to another state, it is probably well worth it.
F5, I totally understand your position!!!!

I went back and forth about writing some of the key dialogue that made me select this thread vs. any other or start a new one. It's not about what different cities offer within 50 miles or how long Idaho Falls has had all the activities they have on July 4th.

I will share two comments the sponsor made about how come this celebration is sooooo important.

1. It is a Freedom Day Celebration. Throughout the day, multiple references were made to those who have fought wars and those who paid the ultimate price for the freedoms we have in the USA. I haven't been here for many, but I've not heard the level of gratitude for those who have served as I heard at this year's celebration.

2. After the fireworks concluded, the sponsor was put on the air. He acknowledged the huge crowd and the extra time it would take to return home. Then he said, "While you are waiting in the parking lot or on the street instead of getting frustrated, get out your phone and call one or two Vets and thank them for what they did so you could have the freedoms to celebrate today as you wanted to do."

F5 both you and Mike have been open about serving in the military. I'm sure there are others, but you two have openly written about serving our country and us. I'm so glad you posted. Now I can thank you, knowing I have no idea the sacrifices you made, to keep us safer and free. The same to Mike and every other Veteran!! We have what we have because of people like the two of you.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:26 PM

162 posts, read 145,194 times
Although I do not attend the annual firework and freedom celebration show in downtown I.F., I do fully support the cause and think that every local family should take their children to see the show and experience the festivities.

Please! Take them to see real professionals launch top notch high-end awe-inspiring fireworks of the highest caliber.

I would also like to see all of those local families STOP USING ILLEGAL FIREWORKS in the residential areas where we all live.

I am so tired of the two to three weeks of non-stop explosions and sky rockets before, during and after July 4th, that my neighbors seem to think are somehow celebratory. They are just foolish and dangerous, not patriotic in any way and I am tired of picking up the spent projectiles from my yard.

I only wish Ammon had some actual law enforcement that actually did something about the problem, but the limited coverage Ammon receives from Bonneville sheriff's do not have the time or manpower to even respond to calls for illegal fireworks. Maybe some day we'll actually get a law enforcement team of our own, and start cracking down on law breakers.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:34 PM

3,783 posts, read 3,711,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.InAmmon View Post
Although I do not attend the annual firework and freedom celebration show in downtown I.F., I do fully support the cause and think that every local family should take their children to see the show and experience the festivities.

Please! Take them to see real professionals launch top notch high-end awe-inspiring fireworks of the highest caliber.

I would also like to see all of those local families STOP USING ILLEGAL FIREWORKS in the residential areas where we all live.

I am so tired of the two to three weeks of non-stop explosions and sky rockets before, during and after July 4th, that my neighbors seem to think are somehow celebratory. They are just foolish and dangerous, not patriotic in any way and I am tired of picking up the spent projectiles from my yard.

I only wish Ammon had some actual law enforcement that actually did something about the problem, but the limited coverage Ammon receives from Bonneville sheriff's do not have the time or manpower to even respond to calls for illegal fireworks. Maybe some day we'll actually get a law enforcement team of our own, and start cracking down on law breakers.

YOU AND ME. In my case the local lollipop cops won't do diddly squat. Call them, and they say someone will be out as soon as possible; meaning the next day.

I actually drove over two streets to get an exact address for the cops, and when I arrived, I noticed in the driveway across from the house, was a police car. Evidently a cop lives there, I noted this to the dispatch, and they said they had no idea. Just a great example of how most of these local lollipop cops are about as useful as *** on a bull. And another reason to keep it locked and loaded since relying on the local cops would be a very stupid thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls