U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 05:59 AM

3,783 posts, read 3,744,222 times

Advertisements

Does this upset any of you who pushed for the bond issue?
Isn't there any Idaho contractors who could build a school?

I understand that many of the workers will be local, but that will usually be low paid workers, while the supervisors and above may be UT residents.

Just asking. But if I lived in this district, I would consider it a slap in the face of those paying for the building.

Utah contractor hired to build District 93 high school | News - Home
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 08:08 AM

434 posts, read 373,615 times
I would have used Bateman Hall. Truthfully though, the Utah contractor only consists of a few workers from Utah. There will be four or five of them. They said subs would be hired locally. Thats just the way it works especially considering the tight budget. Their bid was less than that of probably the only contractor from IF that would be qualified to build it. Even Bateman Hall hires generals from just about anywhere

Old 02-12-2016, 10:28 AM

8,440 posts, read 12,731,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
I would have used Bateman Hall. Truthfully though, the Utah contractor only consists of a few workers from Utah. There will be four or five of them. They said subs would be hired locally. Thats just the way it works especially considering the tight budget. Their bid was less than that of probably the only contractor from IF that would be qualified to build it. Even Bateman Hall hires generals from just about anywhere
I agree. Bateman- Hall and Ormond Construction put in local bids, as did a company in Victor. But Hughes has been the General Contractor for almost 60 high schools. No company in Idaho has built even 20. They have to hire all the local contractors, of which Bateman-Hall and others could be selected. If costs go over, Hughes has to pay them.

But D # 93 is on an accelerated schedule to hopefully get this open by 2018. Hughes will have all subs selected by May and construction starts very soon after that.

I agree with Theotherdude there may be five or six managers come from UT but everyone else is local. We probably need more subs locally as we will have 3-4 General Contractors from UT completing the $ 28 million LDS Temple remodel which should be done this fall, the Summerhill Suites for Woodbury and one other that is currently in progress that I can't think of at the moment.

Bateman-Hall is the General Contractor on Smiths new construction and other Kroger remodels from AZ to WA and MT, let alone UT and Colorado. Bateman-Hall builds and remodels all the Lowe's and Home Depots for several states too. Let slone Hobby Lobby and others. Who knows if they could even meet the accelerated schedule, given current projects.

I see it as a wise choice, they went for the most experienced GC for high schools, which are very different than elementary schools.

I can't say for sure, but I doubt the subs make minimum wage or low wages. I saw $28/hour for one type of sub. To most people here that is a good amount.

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 02-12-2016 at 11:41 AM..

Old 02-12-2016, 11:34 AM

Duh on my part, I had to get somewhere and blocked this project. I should have remembered this one. Zwick Construction from SLC is building the Rick Warner Truck Center. That was the project I couldn't remember. Warner Truck Center Idaho You probably didn't know about this f5. i think they started building around Aug., 2015. If you want to take your buddies for a ride sometime this has been interesting to see how they have built it so far. It's at Exit #113 eastbound for about a mile. It's on the north side of the street.

Also, if HCA Mountain Division has given the green light for an big addition and remodel to EIRMC, usually HCA uses Layton Construction for big projects. If it's just adding 3-5 more Trauma rooms and expanding the PICU for this year, that could go locally. I don't know how much longer EIRMC can function without new Cardiac, Pulmonary and other services gettinger new space.

There was a fifth bid on the new High School, another company from SLC. I think it was Hogan.

Then there is whoever the Navy uses to build their new facility.

We could easily have six general contractors from Utah building in Bonneville County this summer. I don't know where they will get all the subs When people ask about jobs in ID, that aren't minimum wage, I always ask what their skill set is as there are lots of jobs in 8B, if a person has the right training.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:52 PM

3,783 posts, read 3,744,222 times
My problem is the taxpayers of this school district that is in Idaho are paying. Even though the SLC contractor will use mostly ID people, there is a lot of money going back to UT. As for private contracts that is private money.

So, there are NO contractors in ID who can do the job?

I would love to know if there is a relative of a school board member that was in on the bidding!

Enough said. I just find it, sort of amusing.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
My problem is the taxpayers of this school district that is in Idaho are paying. Even though the SLC contractor will use mostly ID people, there is a lot of money going back to UT. As for private contracts that is private money.

So, there are NO contractors in ID who can do the job?

I would love to know if there is a relative of a school board member that was in on the bidding!

Enough said. I just find it, sort of amusing.
Here's the link, ask D #93 for request for information.

https://lf.d93.k12.id.us/Forms/RyDJD

They only received five bids. I don't know if the Victor company has ever built a school. It's called EDGEWATER, I believe. They did a nice job on the Hilton Home 2 Suites, otherwise, I don't know what they've built.

No company from Boise metro even bid. They are too busy with other projects.

I don't know if Bateman-Hall or Ormond could do the expidited schedule, given other commitments. They've built schools, especially elementary, but I don't think together they've built more than 15 high schools. No one in Idaho Falls has built a three story school before.

It does raise the question of why no Pocatello company bid. What do you think?

Hogan, in Centerville has nice pics of high schools they built for Cedar City and Park City. I have no idea how many high schools they've built or how many three stories.

So please check out Hughes Corporation for all of us so we know if there was nepotism or any prior connection between D # 93 and Hughes.

I believe Idaho law says the majority of workers must be from Idaho. The law might be different for schools vs. municipalities of what percent must be Idaho residents, working on projects.

I can't type more. I had a CT scan today and my vein blew leaking contrast in my arm. They got an interventional radiologist to check me, which never happens. I need to ice and elevate it. Frankly, I don't care about the contractor vs. why I have a paralyzed vocal cord, did the scan show something and now dealing with could happen to my arm given the high amount of contrast that leaked.

But I'll read what you find.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Does this upset any of you who pushed for the bond issue?
Isn't there any Idaho contractors who could build a school?

I understand that many of the workers will be local, but that will usually be low paid workers, while the supervisors and above may be UT residents.

Just asking. But if I lived in this district, I would consider it a slap in the face of those paying for the building.

Utah contractor hired to build District 93 high school | News - Home
Well, f5, you must have ESP, friends who know things or other. You started this thread on Friday, 2/12/2016 and then we all had the long President's Day Holiday. On the first business day since Friday, the State of ID agency that oversees construction received a complaint about this contract, which hasn't been formally signed yet.

It appears Hughes wasn't 100% accurate on their RFP submission. They checked "yes" to having all the public licenses needed. They are busted!!! They don't physically have them yet as they haven't been issued by the state of Idaho yet, but will be prior to June when work is to start. They also don't have a second license approved yet, that of a full-time, Idaho GC/CM licensed Manager.

I don't recall when the GC/CM was added. Public buildings in Idaho are moving to this model.

D #93 reviewed the submission and thought everything was appropriate as the answers were marked "yes".

The investigation will take two days or possibly two weeks.

Some want the next company on the list D#93 made awarded the contract instead. That would be Headwaters from Victor. They have built a lot of student housing for BYU-IDAHO. Among the four schools they've constructed include an elementary school in D#93. But no high schools.

The third pick on the ranked list is the other contractor from Utah. Hope that company has all their licenses at their office currently.

Neither Bateman-Hall nor Ormond Construction were ranked, which suggests to me they couldn't meet the Accelerated Schedule of construction, given other projects. But, I could be wrong. I personally have never heard of those two companies not being listed for anything, if they have the time and subs to build.

We'll see what the STATE investigation reveals...................and maybe the state will name the anonymous person who complained.

Cross-posted with D#93 thread.

MSR

Old 02-18-2016, 03:59 AM

A bit more was released 12 hours later. I agree, there is something very odd to me about those filing the complaint. I wish they were identified by name and company.

District 93 board chair responds to contract allegations: District 93 board chair responds to contract allegations | News - Home

MSR

Old 02-24-2016, 06:40 PM

This will be a cross post. Hughes can't win the award and the second company on hehe list, the one in Victor, completed the paperwork wrong. So D# 93 is starting the bid requests all over again.

D93 starting over with proposals for high school construction project | News - Home

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls