U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 12:52 PM

46 posts, read 44,258 times

Advertisements

Next year my son will start high school and we are still house shopping so we can move around to match up to the better high school. Though here is the problem I can find all sorts of reviews, but like anything, people only complain and never speak of the good.

With that said, tell me the pros & cons of your experience & your kids’ experience.

My son is a big fan of French and the robotics after school activities. Not much into sports so that really doesn’t matter.

Thanks for the info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 09:27 AM

4,918 posts, read 16,917,252 times
Truly hoping that someone can answer this for you. Maybe you want to redirect it to the general Idaho forum?

Old 03-08-2016, 01:02 PM

Good point, is there a mod or do I just post the same thing in the general Idaho forum?

Old 03-08-2016, 07:15 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,239,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSportsNut View Post
Good point, is there a mod or do I just post the same thing in the general Idaho forum?
Just post, or ask a local realtor.

We use to have some really helpful posters from Poky. Unfortunately, some others from Poky had real agendas. Consequently, the helpful ones, like Twin Prism, stopped posting. Once every 4-5 months someone posts from Poky. There was a police officer's wife who sometimes post.

You might want to search for Pocatello and pull up posts from those who live there or have lived in Poky in the last 2-3 yrs. F5 is helpful, but your questions aren't necessarily info he knows, given he moved to retire in Poky.

Good luck!

MSR

Old 03-10-2016, 07:45 AM

Yup, sounds good thanks for the help

Old 03-25-2016, 10:07 PM

34 posts, read 56,408 times
Oh, my - I am the parent of a current 9th grader in 83201 and would be happy to "talk shop" with you.

As you've probably learned, in Pocatello your child is welcome to enroll at his/her choice of high school, but there are usually only convenient buses to your geographically-suggested school (with a few exceptions -- a daily "express bus" to Century from the HIghland Hill exists, for instance). I thoroughly researched the high schools ahead of time, made my daughter go to the 8th grader open house for all three of them and then let her go where she had always thought she would go anyway (which is CHS - the one that is stereotyped as the most college prep -oriented, but you should take that [and all the stereotypes of the 3 schools] with a grain of salt).

The school that DID have a coding/Robotics cluster of classes discontinued them this year (Pocatello High School), I believe due to loss of an extremely well-qualified instructor who was trying to transiton / retire (not sure of that, though). My impression is that Century and PHS have more kids involved in after-school Robotics than Highland, but that could vary year to year. I believe Pocatello has the only German classes and Century and Highland the only French classes, but kids are allowed to attend the other schools for a particular class if their own school doesn't offer it.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to hash through anything. I've been pleasantly surprised about many aspects of our local high schools (and unexpectedly disappointed in a few things, too).

Old 03-26-2016, 10:18 AM

3,727 posts, read 3,361,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Just post, or ask a local realtor.

We use to have some really helpful posters from Poky. Unfortunately, some others from Poky had real agendas. Consequently, the helpful ones, like Twin Prism, stopped posting. Once every 4-5 months someone posts from Poky. There was a police officer's wife who sometimes post.

You might want to search for Pocatello and pull up posts from those who live there or have lived in Poky in the last 2-3 yrs. F5 is helpful, but your questions aren't necessarily info he knows, given he moved to retire in Poky.

Good luck!

MSR
Very true.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BannockCounty View Post
Oh, my - I am the parent of a current 9th grader in 83201 and would be happy to "talk shop" with you.

As you've probably learned, in Pocatello your child is welcome to enroll at his/her choice of high school, but there are usually only convenient buses to your geographically-suggested school (with a few exceptions -- a daily "express bus" to Century from the HIghland Hill exists, for instance). I thoroughly researched the high schools ahead of time, made my daughter go to the 8th grader open house for all three of them and then let her go where she had always thought she would go anyway (which is CHS - the one that is stereotyped as the most college prep -oriented, but you should take that [and all the stereotypes of the 3 schools] with a grain of salt).

The school that DID have a coding/Robotics cluster of classes discontinued them this year (Pocatello High School), I believe due to loss of an extremely well-qualified instructor who was trying to transiton / retire (not sure of that, though). My impression is that Century and PHS have more kids involved in after-school Robotics than Highland, but that could vary year to year. I believe Pocatello has the only German classes and Century and Highland the only French classes, but kids are allowed to attend the other schools for a particular class if their own school doesn't offer it.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to hash through anything. I've been pleasantly surprised about many aspects of our local high schools (and unexpectedly disappointed in a few things, too).
Thanks for the response I'll send you a pm.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:23 PM

34 posts, read 56,408 times
I will drill down and find your PM - thanks! I'm (obviously) a very sporadic poster (sorry!). (I come on every 12-36 months to research something and then try to answer a few questions to try to reciprocate the help I've received in a general way .)

Robotics at the High School level in Pocatello (School District #25) is not exactly linked to the schools. My middle school children have been involved in the First Lego Robotics League (FLL) and when we go to the state tourney, the schools that the various teams attend are never even mentioned (merely their home towns and coach). I believe one of the HS-aged teams is called LiveWire or Live Wire and one is called Haywire or Hay Wire. One of those happens to have most of its meetings at Century High School, but I don't believe it is limited to Century students. I think the other one may meet in an I.S.U. building, but I will clarify before I get in touch with you through PM. Very quickly -some info about the High Schools:

Highland High School - largest student count - I believe they seek to stay large to compete in the 5A division for High School sports. Pocatello had only two high schools for many, many decades and both were Division 5A. Century opened around 1999/2000 and it and Pocatello High School became Division 4A about that time. Highland has a big sports tradition (good number of Division I athletes in football along with state championships in football, basketball and others with some frequency). Highland also cranks out its share of National Merit Finalists and academic stars, but its sports successes get a lot of headlines. Physical: Built in about 1960 and located on the Highland hill.

Pocatello High School - Physical: attractive historic building in Old Town Pocatello. No huge parking lot or playing fields since it is surrounded by Old Town. It has had the only "Computer Programming Pathway" cluster of classes, but that is temporarily discontinued due to a teacher retirement, I believe (find the District 25 Curriculum Guide online for details). PHS has German classes rather than French, but I do think there is a reasonable strong STEM subculture there for a kid who wanted to tap in to that. Locals love to take jabs at PHS for being the school in Old Town,etc., but I know many high-achieving kids who find their niche(s) there and love it. It excels in sports in cycles and currently is extremely strong in track and Cross Country (not limited to that - that's just what I'm sure of). Has had many National Merit Finalists, etc., over the decades. I believe its marketing message is something along the lines of "everyone is someone at Pocatello High School" or "there's a place for everyone at Poky." (Something close to those! ) When my child and I attended the electives/activities fair for each school (those fairs happen in late January of 8th grade and are VERY helpful), I had the most favorable impression of PHS (but my child had friends going to Century so favored it).

Century High School - Physical: New building in extreme south part of town. Wide open spaces and very isolated with no retail food outlets anywhere near it (much to disappointment of many students). Allegedly the community thought the town would grow to the south and that the location would one day make sense, but growth occurred to the north so VERY few families can actually say they live by Century (VERY few). Not a good choice if you worry about minimizing your carbon imprint - most kids who drive there have a 8-20 mile round trip drive every day (20 miles if they live in parts of Chubbuck and choose to go there). Century seems to like to softly promote itself as a good choice for college prep (posters around the school emphasizing college, a couple of assemblies each year devoted to the various paths to college, etc.). I would say they have a slightly higher-than-average number of kids from education-oriented families, but that difference is only slight and may just be my own perception. They have an Academic, Humanities/Arts, All-Around and Athlete student of the month from each grade most months and try to celebrate things other than sports, although they win their share of championships in sports, too (most recently girls' volleyball and basketball, tennis and boys'/girls' soccer).

High School is open enrollment in Pocatello/Chubbuck (District #25), so as long as your family is willing to provide transportation, your child can go to whatever HS he/she chooses. It's SE Idaho, so all three are strong in music and drama and all have the option of being released from school one hour a day to study religion (the LDS church has buildings near each high school for released students to walk to for what they call Seminary classes, but students can be released for other faiths and other reasons, too. Kids talking about Seminary, etc., can be culture shock at first, but I would say it is just something to get used to like hearing kids talking about whether or not they are "saved' when moving to the South or about attending Hebrew School after moving to Beverly Hills or similar. The mere fact that Seminary exists does not mean that your child will be ostracized or excluded.) All three schools have AP classes and each has a couple of AP classes that are only available at that particular school. Kids are allowed to travel to other schools to take classes not offered at their own school with prior arrangement. With the open enrollment and social media, my take is that kids with like interests find each other and get to know each other no matter what school they go to. If you have a child with internal motivation (and not prone to taking short-cuts) he/she will be able to pull a great education out of (and prep for college at) any of our high schools. Last, if you are moving to town and your high schooler can't attend the elective/activities fair / open house at our high schools the January before you arrive, it's worth it to try to go to them the January AFTER you arrive since they're such an efficient and easy way to get an overview of each of the schools and can help you confirm you've made the right choice.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the info.. that really covers the bases on what I was looking for when it comes to info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: