U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-17-2016, 10:32 PM
 
Location: New England
4 posts, read 3,567 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello, We are entertaining the notion of moving to IF from New England. However, we are surprised on the low rating the schools get, particularly the high schools. My wife and I will be in IF for a couple of days to "kick-the-tires" if you will. We are looking at homes and neighborhoods and trying to decipher the school issue. In all honesty, we are concerned about the school system's ratings. As for homes, we have not been really smitten by any homes on realtor.com; we hope to look at some homes while there and get a better experience. Any suggestions on where to start in regards to finding the right neighborhood?
Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2016, 10:46 AM
 
8,440 posts, read 11,937,126 times
Reputation: 6270
Quote:
Originally Posted by acclr8 View Post
Hello, We are entertaining the notion of moving to IF from New England. However, we are surprised on the low rating the schools get, particularly the high schools. My wife and I will be in IF for a couple of days to "kick-the-tires" if you will. We are looking at homes and neighborhoods and trying to decipher the school issue. In all honesty, we are concerned about the school system's ratings. As for homes, we have not been really smitten by any homes on realtor.com; we hope to look at some homes while there and get a better experience. Any suggestions on where to start in regards to finding the right neighborhood?
Thank you!
Hello acclr8,

As you know, those who post at CDF do it when and if they have time. From my perspective, the only part of your post that helps anyone give you feedback is that you're from New England. You gave us no information to factor into responses, which always makes me wonder how legitimate a first post is, meaning are you serious given all you left out or a troll? We've had our share of trolls here.

Please tell us what you learned searching the forum.

What is happening in your lives to make you consider moving to Idaho Falls at this time? In general, what type of employment will you or your wife have in Idaho? Is your work transferring you or are you thinking of accepting a new position? What would you like in a home and what are rough guidelines of your budget for buying?

I will say I don't think there are any Milion+ dollar homes on the market, as most prefer to build their own. Houses are moving very quickly. I'm aware of someone who sold their home in 12 hours last week. That's not typical, but there are not many houses on the market currently.

I'd certainly expect anyone moving to physically check out a location before moving. I would. There are plenty who live here who have lived in New England.

As for the schools, remember Copley Plaza was built prior to Idaho becoming a state and ID is one of the fastest growing states. New England doesn't face the same set of facts as Idaho. Do most ID schools equal those in New England? I doubt it. That being written, parents who are serious about education always have the option of private school or home school. I didn't see you reference anything about the various schools you've researched. You can search the forum for the number of Rhodes Scholars, Merit Scholars etc. as I've posted it previously.

Please post again with more information and reference what you've previously searched to form your opinions. It wastes our time for you to be vague. A lot of people waste our time asking questions when they aren't even 50% serious about moving. The more you give us, the more we will know how to respond.

MSR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2016, 11:26 AM
 
Location: New England
4 posts, read 3,567 times
Reputation: 10
Hi MSR,
You bring up all valid points, understood. While I am possibly ugly, I am certainly not a troll! ; )
-On the employment part I will have to remain vague unfortunately, due to contractual agreements. Just suffice to say that while not looking for multi-million dollar homes, a good middle to upper-middle class range is workable.

Instead of telling what I learned in the posts, please allow me to look at it from a more manageable approach. I'll start with what I did not find/learn in these posts, just to make this communication more succinct.
As for housing, we are looking for privacy. We are used to seeing lot sizes accommodate the house size. With land so plentiful in Idaho, it surprises me that large 3,000+ square foot homes built on small lots and next to each other.

So first question: are there neighborhoods that are developed, but with 1 acre size lots, for better privacy? I look for a developed area because those new homes that claim privacy now, will be encroached on tomorrow as others build on to the neighborhood.

As for schools, private does not guarantee better quality, which is why school ratings based on student performance is a good metric. My research uses greatschools.org and the realtor.com school rating system. And I think it is a fallacy to equate how long a school system has been in place with quality. Plenty of schools in the east coast have been around forever and have poor scores. Likewise, Pocatello's new Century High School is rated an 8 out of 10, the highest in that region, and the paint on the wall is still drying. Finally, even here we make it a point to supplement at home, but in all honesty would not home school because we like the social engagement school provides.

So for the next question: Are there gifted and talented programs, charter schools, or other resources to supplement in both elementary and high school?

As stated before, we will be there shortly and wanted some guidance on where to start and what questions to ask. I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post, and taking a chance on a troll...er, me!

ACCLR8
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2016, 12:19 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 11,937,126 times
Reputation: 6270
Quote:
Originally Posted by acclr8 View Post
Hi MSR,
You bring up all valid points, understood. While I am possibly ugly, I am certainly not a troll! ; )
-On the employment part I will have to remain vague unfortunately, due to contractual agreements. Just suffice to say that while not looking for multi-million dollar homes, a good middle to upper-middle class range is workable.

Instead of telling what I learned in the posts, please allow me to look at it from a more manageable approach. I'll start with what I did not find/learn in these posts, just to make this communication more succinct.
As for housing, we are looking for privacy. We are used to seeing lot sizes accommodate the house size. With land so plentiful in Idaho, it surprises me that large 3,000+ square foot homes built on small lots and next to each other.

So first question: are there neighborhoods that are developed, but with 1 acre size lots, for better privacy? I look for a developed area because those new homes that claim privacy now, will be encroached on tomorrow as others build on to the neighborhood.

As for schools, private does not guarantee better quality, which is why school ratings based on student performance is a good metric. My research uses greatschools.org and the realtor.com school rating system. And I think it is a fallacy to equate how long a school system has been in place with quality. Plenty of schools in the east coast have been around forever and have poor scores. Likewise, Pocatello's new Century High School is rated an 8 out of 10, the highest in that region, and the paint on the wall is still drying. Finally, even here we make it a point to supplement at home, but in all honesty would not home school because we like the social engagement school provides.

So for the next question: Are there gifted and talented programs, charter schools, or other resources to supplement in both elementary and high school?

As stated before, we will be there shortly and wanted some guidance on where to start and what questions to ask. I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post, and taking a chance on a troll...er, me!

ACCLR8
We live by INL. We understand Confidential here!! I don't have time currently to respond more in depth except to say yes, there are plenty of 1 acre or 10 acre lots etc. for homes. Not everyone wants that much land. Comora Loma might go to 1/2 acres but I think it's usually 1 or more acres/ lots. Comora Loma is building a new section this year. In general, look for homes in the 83406 zip code. That's Ammon, no big deal, across the street from I.F.

You'll probably see more houses south of Sunnyside or 3300 South and east of 25th East. There are pockets of "estate homes" south of I. F. For the land look south of Sunnyside. Use 83404 especially around S. Holmes, S. Park and 15th East.

Agree about schools, but I must leave now. Glad you're not a troll

MSR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 10:14 PM
 
Location: New England
4 posts, read 3,567 times
Reputation: 10
Hi MSR,
Thank you for the input. I will research those zip codes. We really like the appeal of a smaller home, but with access to a larger plot of land.
Let me see what I dig up!
acclr8
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 10:40 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 11,937,126 times
Reputation: 6270
We haven't heard anything from you, acclr8. Are you caught up in the houses? I looked briefly on Zillow in the zip codes I gave you. There were about 8 with an acre and $500K + . Some had 2-10 acres and obviously cost a lot more. I only saw two that were more than 1 million.

The house I'd grab is on South Holmes. Just put on the market this week. It was somewhere between 500 -700 K with so much custom work. The developers of that are one of the families developing property the longest. That would be a superb neighborhood, given the neighbors who are successful professionals. That house is in D # 91, the Idaho Falls school District.

I have a couple things to add about the schools but maybe the best tip I can give you is to use Zillow. I think it is the same school ranking that you used. However, I'm really puzzled with some of your questions given the direct links to the districts that you can contact. D #93 is Bonneville.

I know you want to do things your way, which is your choice. However, that's a waste of my time and it's not exactly like others have responded. Every answer you want is in the discussion about Bonneville School District #93 building a new high school. That thread is still on the first page. Both Districts are discussed there, plus I love a few of the comments.

There are only about three things that thread doesn't cover. 1. In Idaho you can place your children in any public school you want, if the school has room. That does mean between districts too. You're responsible for transportation.

2. As mentioned below, Compass Academy is the school for the accelerated and gifted kids. That is Dist. #91. You can imagine how full it is!! Talk to District #91 as they were going to add a few "lottery spots." The success has been so great the two traditional high schools are going to be remodeled and taught following the Compass model. You can read the discussion on their webpage.

3. The School grading was the funniest thing I've read this week. Gotta laugh when middle school students are creating those grades, not parents. About 4 different schools had reviews from 11 yrs. ago. I think that website is absolutely worthless, with the exception of a mom's post about the ACT or other college tests scores from I.F. High. I'd contact the schools now, if it were me. May fills up so fast with graduation etc.

Of course there are Charter schools and more. That information is listed in the D #93 thread as well as the school links on Zillow.

You said you couldn't give us a general idea about your work due to contractual agreements. That is excellent as that means you've signed papers and you have future colleagues here to contact, since you don't want to search established threads designed for newbies to read. Your company, agency etc. can give you a lot of tips. Not all are as fortunate as you to have workers and an HD to talk to here.

Good luck in your trip and buying a house.

MSR

Edit: It looks like we were both posting. I hope you see the houses added over the weekend. The 10 acre one on Comora Loma might still be on the market. The houses on 15th East sold, so just focus on S. Holmes and S. Park Rd for 83404, south of Sunnyside.

And I totally agree, all good education is supplemented at home.

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 04-20-2016 at 10:54 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 10:12 AM
 
Location: New England
4 posts, read 3,567 times
Reputation: 10
Hi MSR,
Interesting insight on being able to choose your district. That really frees up on options then (if space allows); we need to look at high schools ASAP given the timing.
-As for work colleagues to get advice from, it's not the traditional type of employment you may be thinking, i.e. with an established presence, so not much local input there. Therefore, I do truly appreciate your comments and insights. Extremely helpful!

I will search the threads you mention and probably chuckle at the comments as well.

Thanks again,
acclr8
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2016, 11:49 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 11,937,126 times
Reputation: 6270
Quote:
Originally Posted by acclr8 View Post
Hi MSR,
Interesting insight on being able to choose your district. That really frees up on options then (if space allows); we need to look at high schools ASAP given the timing.
-As for work colleagues to get advice from, it's not the traditional type of employment you may be thinking, i.e. with an established presence, so not much local input there. Therefore, I do truly appreciate your comments and insights. Extremely helpful!

I will search the threads you mention and probably chuckle at the comments as well.

Thanks again,
acclr8
Acclr8,

If you are still checking this site,, did you visit and get your questions answered? Let us know.

MSR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top