U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2016, 04:24 PM

24 posts, read 20,816 times

Advertisements

SO one thing I have heard is that you all experience windy days. While this is not a big deal considering where we are now (we can have anywhere from 25 mph to a record 76 mph on our windy days), I'm wondering if this is a thing on the daily or occasionally.

I'm seeing that there is a severe wind advisory until 8 pm today--do you guys usually see toppled trees, home damage etc. with these wind storms?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 06:32 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,234,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastOnCastOff View Post
SO one thing I have heard is that you all experience windy days. While this is not a big deal considering where we are now (we can have anywhere from 25 mph to a record 76 mph on our windy days), I'm wondering if this is a thing on the daily or occasionally.

I'm seeing that there is a severe wind advisory until 8 pm today--do you guys usually see toppled trees, home damage etc. with these wind storms?

Thanks!
Hey COCO,

Check out Ret.inAmmon's post about Rita's.

We did get wind today. I don't think there are five days/year like this, but it is totally quiet now for me. Others may disagree and I would encourage you to ask about their location (on a hill, on a farm, in a city etc.). This went to a Wind Warning. Pocatello got higher bursts than Idaho Falls.

Usually, when the wind gets this high, there is an small area of I-15 north of Idaho Falls and Roberts called Osgood that has the blowing wind blow enough loose dirt I-15 gets shut down for an hour or two. That is totally a farming area on both sides of the freeway.

I-15 open between Idaho Falls and Roberts | News - Home

With mature trees, damage of some kind can always happen. I checked the news and one tree branch fell bringing electrical wire down at one home in Idaho Falls.

Daily wind isn't factual. The wind we get during the fall and winter can be 10-25 mph, often more in rural areas. Honestly, the #1 problem of winds, IMO, is sometimes trees fall on power lines taking out electricity to some.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:02 AM

26,990 posts, read 18,272,303 times
Winds 1-10 mph are common here. We call them the breeze. During spring and summer, there's a little breeze almost every day for at least a few hours.

20+ mph is more rare, usually coming in advance of a storm, and 30+ rarer still, except during the stray years that start windy and end windy. They come along about once every 15 years or so, often when an el niño becomes a la niña. So far, this spring hasn't been very windy at all for the time of year. it's nothing at all like the conditions were in 1998.

The winds were ferocious that spring, and kicked up an extremely rare tornado in town that didn't last long, but was powerful enough to flatten a Circle K store. The clerk came from tornado country, and when he saw the big glass windows starting to swell outward, he dove under the counter and cuddled the store's safe. He emerged unhurt from the rubble a few minutes later. The tornado cut up some of the highway and then fizzled out after reaching the far side of the pavement.

Today's wind was the first real blast we've had in over a year. I don't know for sure how high they were, but around 4pm, I reckoned they were around 50mph while standing out in them doing some business. 2 hours later, the dropped off completely, and it began to rain. And then the temps dropped like a rock just before sunrise.

This happens in the intermountain west, but it's more rare south of the Divide than on the north side.

I'm thinking the arctic blast that started the fire blowup in Alberta kept going south and was still powerful enough when it hit the Divide to jump over it.

If I'm right, then it's gonna hit Colorado and eastward by tonight, and may go all the way to the Atlantic. Or not- a lot depends on what's coming up from the Gulf when these winds move through the mid-west.

High wind here often means tornadoes there, if the gulf is pumping up warmth and moisture. If that Canadian front was wide enough, it could have caused the recent tornado outbreak all by itself.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:25 AM

8,440 posts, read 12,234,081 times
COCO,

The news updated info from yesterday's wind. For many it was the most severe wind they have experienced. We were close to the wind of a F1 toronado. There was more property done, but it was spotty. It probably took various people more time to report. I don't think any roofs were blown off for anything like that. It was just wind, as far as I know. A neighboring state got hail with many vehicles and roofs damaged.

How often do we get these? Well, I hope just once in a lifetime. It has to be "the perfect storm" for the weather to be that severe. But it was odd as it just stopped and then it was perfectly quiet and calm last evening. There is no wind today, of which I'm aware.

The more open areas, farms or interstate were hit the hardest.

This is a new video. Wind downs tree limbs; closes Interstate for 6 hours | News - Home

Old 05-10-2016, 11:07 AM

24 posts, read 20,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
COCO,

The news updated info from yesterday's wind. For many it was the most severe wind they have experienced. We were close to the wind of a F1 toronado. There was more property done, but it was spotty. It probably took various people more time to report. I don't think any roofs were blown off for anything like that. It was just wind, as far as I know. A neighboring state got hail with many vehicles and roofs damaged.

How often do we get these? Well, I hope just once in a lifetime. It has to be "the perfect storm" for the weather to be that severe. But it was odd as it just stopped and then it was perfectly quiet and calm last evening. There is no wind today, of which I'm aware.

The more open areas, farms or interstate were hit the hardest.

This is a new video. Wind downs tree limbs; closes Interstate for 6 hours | News - Home

Thanks for this update, and thanks to all you guys that gave input. So sounds like it was definitely out of the ordinary--I'm okay with that! Hopefully there was minimal damage for most residents!

Old 05-10-2016, 03:49 PM

26,990 posts, read 18,272,303 times
The most remarkable thing about yesterday was how long and continual the wind was. More often, we'll get a couple of brief gusts of high wind on an otherwise less windy day.

Really, high winds like yesterday's were less unusual in the 20th century than they are now, I think. All the times I could remember came from then, not now.

My bro had a time of it yesterday. He ran out of diesel, and came into town with a 5 gallon plastic can for some more. As he was filling the can, the wind grabbed the plastic cap and sent it scuttling all over the parking lot at the truck center. When the cap finally got snagged by the inside of a semi's wheel, he got his favorite hat greasy crawing under the truck to get it.

…and then, as soon as he crawled out from under, the wind snatched the hat off his head and he had to chase it all around. He was not in a good mood when he stopped by my place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls