U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 04:21 PM

9 posts, read 7,426 times

Advertisements

First I'd like to apologize, I know there are many threads about relocating. I just want to see the most up to date information.

And yes... I'm another one of those Californian's looking to get out. Not raised in CA, but have spent the last 16 years here. But I live in a rural community, an hour outside of downtown San Diego. I'm a country girl, single momma of an 8 year old boy, and a Senior Level Computer Engineer (Systems Engineering, Management and Cyber)... I'm Christian and non-LDS. I hardly drink, don't party, and just enjoy the peace with my son and our chocolate lab. My ex-husband lives in Boise now, and I'm trying to make it easier for my son to see his Daddy, but still give us both our own space. Don't worry, I'm trying to escape Blue liberals myself.. We're outdoors people, and my son plays both soccer and baseball. So there is a quick synopsis.

I've applied for a job at the INL. The hiring process seems to be quite slow, and while there was very high interest, I'm still waiting for my technical interview. It has been promised very soon. But in the mean time I'm looking around and trying to see what's there in IF.

I've found a montessori school that has openings in Ammon for the 3rd grade. Yippee!! My son is in a charter montessori school right now.

However, I'm having a hard time figuring out where to live. I currently rent on 2.25 acres. I'm used to space. I don't suspect I will be able to move with our chickens. (But see we're country). I'm not opposed to renting first, but am finding it hard to find any place that will allow my chocolate lab. The lease terms are also incredibly long. In Cali, it's a year to rent a house. I called and one property manager said 18 months minimum.

I was looking at maybe Rigby. Any suggestions for Rural, with peace and quiet? I don't want to look out by back door and see 6 houses surrounding me. Big trees, with a true country feel would be great.

I've also seen many mixed reviews for the INL. If the INL doesn't work out for me, there is no other work for me in the area. I'm not sure if it is just disgruntled workers, or the environment is bad. Again, if the job at the lab didn't work out, there is no other work for me there.

Any thoughts, suggestions or guidance would be appreciated. When I talked to the school, the property management company and the HR woman at the lab, they all said they already felt like I was an Idaho girl. I might just need fleece lined everything the first few winters. It's been a long time since I"ve seen some good snow (I left NY in 2001).

Very Respectfully,
KAH
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 05:25 PM

434 posts, read 336,706 times
Most rental terms are 1 year here as well. And yes it's very difficult to find rentals that allow pets. There are nice places even just outside of town that would have that rural feel. You might look in Shelley or anywhere in Bingham county. Jefferson County or northern Bonneville would br more convenient to Ammon. Residential subdivisions are quickly developing to the east toward the foothills. This whole valley is rich in what you like. It's up to you how close to IF you want to live.

I haven't ever heard that the lab was not a good place to work. Most people I know that have worked for INL seemed to be content with their jobs.

There is a good Cristian community here with multiple options for church. Once again that depends on your liking. Calvary Chapel/Watersprings is large and there are a few smaller ones.

Good luck with your job and your move if it comes to that. Most of us here are happy to help with anything else you need to know about

Old 10-24-2016, 11:19 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,249,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAH1029 View Post
First I'd like to apologize, I know there are many threads about relocating. I just want to see the most up to date information.

And yes... I'm another one of those Californian's looking to get out. Not raised in CA, but have spent the last 16 years here. But I live in a rural community, an hour outside of downtown San Diego. I'm a country girl, single momma of an 8 year old boy, and a Senior Level Computer Engineer (Systems Engineering, Management and Cyber)... I'm Christian and non-LDS. I hardly drink, don't party, and just enjoy the peace with my son and our chocolate lab. My ex-husband lives in Boise now, and I'm trying to make it easier for my son to see his Daddy, but still give us both our own space. Don't worry, I'm trying to escape Blue liberals myself.. We're outdoors people, and my son plays both soccer and baseball. So there is a quick synopsis.

I've applied for a job at the INL. The hiring process seems to be quite slow, and while there was very high interest, I'm still waiting for my technical interview. It has been promised very soon. But in the mean time I'm looking around and trying to see what's there in IF.

I've found a montessori school that has openings in Ammon for the 3rd grade. Yippee!! My son is in a charter montessori school right now.

However, I'm having a hard time figuring out where to live. I currently rent on 2.25 acres. I'm used to space. I don't suspect I will be able to move with our chickens. (But see we're country). I'm not opposed to renting first, but am finding it hard to find any place that will allow my chocolate lab. The lease terms are also incredibly long. In Cali, it's a year to rent a house. I called and one property manager said 18 months minimum.

I was looking at maybe Rigby. Any suggestions for Rural, with peace and quiet? I don't want to look out by back door and see 6 houses surrounding me. Big trees, with a true country feel would be great.

I've also seen many mixed reviews for the INL. If the INL doesn't work out for me, there is no other work for me in the area. I'm not sure if it is just disgruntled workers, or the environment is bad. Again, if the job at the lab didn't work out, there is no other work for me there.

Any thoughts, suggestions or guidance would be appreciated. When I talked to the school, the property management company and the HR woman at the lab, they all said they already felt like I was an Idaho girl. I might just need fleece lined everything the first few winters. It's been a long time since I"ve seen some good snow (I left NY in 2001).

Very Respectfully,
KAH
Hi KAH,

Welcome to the Idaho Falls forum. Your respectful tone is very much appreciated, but we're a little less formal here. We do try to respect others, though.

Is it too invasive for me to ask what general section of INL Cores (nuclear, CAES, Cybersecurity or other) from which you are waiting to hear? There may or may not be other jobs locally. INL has had three -four very successive spinoffs. Other companies exist. Also, depending on what you do, you may be in a position to open your own small business and win mentorship from INL.
I have no idea what is holding up your interview. Would the start of Q4 in Oct. be a factor? What I do know is there have been more hires in Cyberspace than Nuclear in 2016. Whether that was partially due to staffing certain positions where folks who have worked 30+ years are retiring, IDK.

Feel free to send me a Private Message about this if you want. I know several of the women who work in HR and PR for the Nuclear and some of the CAES portions of INL. They come from very solid backgrounds and are straight shooters. IDK your time frame, but I wouldn't hesitate to contact the HR person with whom you spoke to ask if there was an approximate deadline of when you would know more, as you need to be able to look for other options, if INL can't interview or whatever you decide. I trust from your message you know how to structure those questions Re-reading your post you sound like Cybersecurity. Did you see the article added in the INL thread about 10 days ago about Cybersecurity being at capacity for employees and no more space until a new building is built? Nonetheless, INL wanted more Cyber this year, I don't know how many additional employees they've added since I posted their new hire numbers probably in Aug.

BTW, INL has a nice balance of liberals and conservatives. The male married couple who first took their case to the Idaho Supreme Court is employed by INL. I didn't know that information as it didn't matter to me. However, he wrote a letter to the editor of the local newspaper talking about the professionalism at INL and how he has never been treated differently as a "straight" man or gay man who later married his husband. He praised HR highly for their ability to deal well with all employees. I have no idea if that man is liberal or conservative. At INL, the work, preparation of employees, the collaborations etc. are what matter.

Certainly the area in general isn't Berkeley. Mostly we're a be a good neighbor, don't judge me and I won't judge you etc. People who like a sense of community and aren't afraid of volunteering to help others tend to do well here.

Hard to know about INL reviews. Like Theotherdude, I really didn't know any existed. I'd say it would depend on the source (I think phone book reviews of physicians is a very risky way to find a doctor -people vent more than anything in some locations to post reviews, as I'm sure you know.). Some things might be valid. To me it would depend on the time frame and location. The lab got a new director a year ago. Fluor started in June. I'd probably believe some complaints about Battelle or BAE prior to those dates, but not many. Frustration with some nuclear projects that were delayed are probably partially true. But as anything else, I always ask what did the person do to attempt to make things better? I'd ask INL what their turnover rate is. I don't think it will be high.

Now about the rental. I know a top realtor who also matches people with rental homes. IDK the length of time for a rental. I can ask tomorrow.

There are a lot of new housing units from Townhomes, luxury apartments and new houses being built. Some price ranges don't have any to much available. With a lab you probably would do well with a few acres and a house. North Bonneville County isn't a bad idea since it is closest to the Cybersecurity work. But traveling to the Montessori school with the opening (Ammon) would take some time in the a.m. I guess it depends on what is available to rent and where it is. I think finding the rental would be my first priority after I knew I had the job. Shelley may have some or south Bonneville/north Bingham County area kind of by the I.F. Country Club may have some rentals.. I'd look more at the Shelley, S. Bonneville County area, if rentals are available that allow labs, as that area is next to Ammon.

You'll know what is right for you from the job to a rental. I'd f/u with INL about your next step as my priority.

I hope this helps

MSR

Old 10-26-2016, 08:44 AM

Thank you both for your responses. I appreciate that you took the time out to respond.

Yes I am still in contact with the original HR woman. She is great!! I think it's just a waiting game in general. I would prefer it to move along sooner, because I think moving in the middle of winter could be a bit of a beast. The way I figure, if it's meant to be, it will be. In the mean time, it's kind of fun thinking of my "Great Escape" from CA. When the time is right!!

Old 10-26-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Thank you both for your responses. I appreciate that you took the time out to respond.

Yes I am still in contact with the original HR woman. She is great!! I think it's just a waiting game in general. I would prefer it to move along sooner, because I think moving in the middle of winter could be a bit of a beast. The way I figure, if it's meant to be, it will be. In the mean time, it's kind of fun thinking of my "Great Escape" from CA. When the time is right!!
YW. When you need your "great escape" break, think about what type of business you would open locally to either compliment, support or be some type of supplier to the Cybersecurity program. INL is serious about their partnerships with women in small businesses. While she is not in Cybersecurity, if you get a chance check out North Windows and Sylvia Medina. See what multi-million dollar business she created. She sold it a while back but huge contracts still get awarded to North Star. A totally different woman just won a contract the past month. Don't rule this option out, instead expand your thinking of how you could assist INL as a small business.

I totally agree with your philosophy that if this is what is supposed to happen at this point in your life, it will. Moving in winter has its challenges, but consider how different that experience would be from anything you've done to this date

MSR

Old 10-27-2016, 11:33 AM

4,927 posts, read 16,931,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
YW. When you need your "great escape" break, think about what type of business you would open locally to either compliment, support or be some type of supplier to the Cybersecurity program. INL is serious about their partnerships with women in small businesses. While she is not in Cybersecurity, if you get a chance check out North Windows and Sylvia Medina. See what multi-million dollar business she created. She sold it a while back but huge contracts still get awarded to North Star. A totally different woman just won a contract the past month. Don't rule this option out, instead expand your thinking of how you could assist INL as a small business.

I totally agree with your philosophy that if this is what is supposed to happen at this point in your life, it will. Moving in winter has its challenges, but consider how different that experience would be from anything you've done to this date

MSR
Autocorrect gets the best of us. The name of the business is NorthWind Envirionmental. I personally know Sylvia and stood in her home when she ran the business at start up right from her dining room! She's on terrific person!!

Old 10-28-2016, 10:39 AM

Starting a business is always scary!! Maybe something to consider. I've been asked twice in the last year to go off on my own in the computer field with old co-workers wanting to do their own thing. The Single Mom thing makes all that a little more risky than I may want.

It's been 6 weeks since the job closed, and still no response for my technical interview. I don't want to come off as a pain, so I've been a little conservative with my communications and follow ups.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post

MSR
Yes, it sure would be an adventure!!! I've already had some crazy life worldly adventures, and am always up for more.

Still searching for rentals just in case, and no luck even slightly with my Chocolate lab!! Maybe I could add more money to the rent to make it happen. haha, might have to go that way.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:01 PM

Well... unfortunately they cancelled the job. I applied for a higher level position that same day the original was cancelled. Cancelled is better than filled by another candidate. To be honest, I was quite disappointed as I've fallen in love with the atmosphere of your little town. Hopefully some day, if it's meant to be, I will be headed out your way. Thank you all for your guidance. It has been much appreciated.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Well... unfortunately they cancelled the job. I applied for a higher level position that same day the original was cancelled. Cancelled is better than filled by another candidate. To be honest, I was quite disappointed as I've fallen in love with the atmosphere of your little town. Hopefully some day, if it's meant to be, I will be headed out your way. Thank you all for your guidance. It has been much appreciated.
Sorry to hear your news. I'm not surprised because the same week you posted, Dr. Mark Peters, INL Director, announced the need for two new buildings for INL. One is 100% Cyberspace. Probably some of their summer internship accepted jobs. Because state universities are partnering in non-recurring projects, the State Board of Education would be funding that building and one for a new Super Computer. They will go before the Legislature in 2017. The buildings are expected to be done in 2018.

Dr. Peters said they have zero room in Cybersecurity for anyone else.

I'd come and visit during a vacation and see how you feel about the area and possible rental homes, if you are still interested. From what I've heard, additional staff will be hired when the building is built. I'd ask INL how to learn of openings as you are serious about this possibility. Possibly meet with them informally if you visit.

Good luck and let us know if you decide to visit so we can give you some suggestions of where to look, what to see etc.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls