U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2016, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 3,715 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all

My wife and I are planning to make a move to the IF area next year, but are a little curious about Ammon and wanted some info

What is the crime rate like in Ammon? Is it a safe and family-friendly place to live? Can we feel safe walking around the neighborhood at night with our 2 small children?

Also, I've heard some chatter from a friend about Ammon being a predominately LDS/Mormon town. Is this true? Would we feel out of place?

And lastly, how far is the drive from Ammon to IF?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 05:25 PM

434 posts, read 336,878 times
Ammon & IF border each other at Hitt road. Our whole metro is predominantly mormon. Mormons are mormons and how you respond to them depends on you. Some people are easily offended & don't do so well. Others just do their thing & hardly notice the religion of their neighbors as different. I am not LDS but i find comfort in having them as neighbors. Their religious practices are pretty strict. Ammon is a bedroom community of IF. It's very safe to walk at all hours.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:28 PM

3 posts, read 3,715 times
Thank you for the info! Well said!

Does anyone else have any info?

Old 11-20-2016, 11:22 PM

68 posts, read 68,054 times
We live in Ammon and are Catholic. We've lived here for the better part of a decade. We are not shunned or avoided by our LDS neighbors, but we do sort-of get overlooked. We end up missing out on a fair amount of neighborhood events (cookouts, walk nights, community breakfast, etc.) because those kind of things, quite naturally, end up being coordinated through the local LDS church, which we're not part of. On occasion, they remember us and reach out to invite us to participate. It doesn't bother us at all. We certainly don't feel deliberately ostracized.

There are some seedy places in Ammon, but remember, seedy in the Idaho Falls area isn't the same as seedy in a metropolis. I haven't looked at the numbers, but my off the cuff estimate is that many (but not all) of the upper-middle class and upper class neighborhoods are in Ammon.

And yes, Ammon and Idaho Falls touch. There is no drive from one to the other.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:42 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,251,888 times
There are a few things I'd like to post. But given another post I need to write and other I'll have to break my thoughts into more than one post.

First, you can always use the "Search" function in the upper right corner here. Type in a couple of words you're looking for and you can see nearly identical posts and answers written six, 12, 18 or other months ago.

Secondly, Ammon is perfectly safe to walk in during the evening hours. It's primarily a bedroom community of Idaho Falls with commercial outlets for those "brand restaurants" you and your wife apparently don't like (referencing your other thread). There are a few original restaurants too. Only very recently has Ammon become a site for some local businesses that are expanding.

Just don't walk on the major roads so you become an Auto-Ped accident and I'd have zero concerns about walking in Ammon. Well, depending on which section of Ammon some has more rollng hills than other parts that are flat. Your little ones could get tired walking up and down small inclines.

My understanding is you, your wife and two little children are moving to the Idaho Falls area in 2017. Will it be winter or summer? When either you or your wife, or both of you came to interview for the job (s) what did you see of the area? When can your family come for a visit so you can see various areas for yourselves? There is nothing that can replace your own observations.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: