U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 12:23 PM

37 posts, read 87,299 times

Advertisements

Hi. My wife and I are trying to choose between Idaho Falls and Twin Falls for our retirement destination.

Looking at the homes in the 2 areas, it seems that most IF homes have full basements, and very few homes in Twin Falls have basements. Can someone tell me why the 2 areas would be so different in their home designs.

I also would ask if those in the know could share some of the other differences between the 2 areas?

John
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 09:23 PM

8,157 posts, read 6,010,870 times
Can't answer your questions about basements. My only best guess is Twin was built with the idea of it being a military area and there may have been some cost-cutting to build homes quickly and cheaper. EDIT: Was thinking Mountain Home.

Both cities are similar in size, have the same stores and chains. Weather will be somewhat milder in Twin, with warmer winters and somewhat warmer summers. Twin is not as isolated obviously, as you can be in downtown Boise in 45 minutes, while IF to Salt Lake City is 3 hours away. Both areas have a somewhat high LDS population, though I would say IF is higher.

EDIT: Thinking Mountain Home here with the military. Wrong town.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 01-28-2017 at 09:51 PM..

Old 01-28-2017, 09:38 PM

134 posts, read 200,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Twin is not as isolated obviously, as you can be in downtown Boise in 45 minutes.
It's 130 miles from TF to Boise.
Definitely not a 45 minute trip.
Closer to an hour and 45.
In fact Twin is pretty much halfway between IF
and Boise, with IF being about 20 miles farther.
If I were being held at gunpoint and forced to
choose between TF or IF, I'd take the bullet.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:45 PM

Oh, I was thinking Mountain Home...my error. (can't seem to separate the two, lol) And I agree about your bullet theory.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:56 PM

434 posts, read 335,426 times
If you hate either town so much, then what are you doing in the forums? Just sayin.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:15 PM

Because you don't have to love somewhere to comment on it. Duh.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:10 AM

434 posts, read 335,426 times
The original poster was asking about basements, not for an outsiders personal opinion. Or even mine. I just don't understand why a person lurk around on a forum of a city they don't like.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
The original poster was asking about basements, not for an outsiders personal opinion. Or even mine. I just don't understand why a person lurk around on a forum of a city they don't like.
Ok thread policeman...

Old 01-29-2017, 11:59 AM

385 posts, read 457,884 times
in an attempt to get this thread back on track:

When I moved here 4 years ago, the reason I chose Idaho Falls over Twin Falls was because I preferred to be closer to the Tetons and Yellowstone and all of the world-class recreation in the area. Idaho Falls is growing at a good pace and has many of the conveniences of a much larger city. I think we have solid infrastructure and it seems the city and county are making strides with roads and other improvement projects to stay on the front end of the population growth. The downtown area of Idaho Falls is going through an exciting revitalization and we are transforming our vocational/technical school into a community college soon and building a new Events Center in the near future which will host conventions, concerts, and possibly a minor league hockey team. Idaho Falls, itself, has just over 60,000 residents while Twin Falls has just shy of 50,000. Now that I-15 is 80mph the entire way, I can get to Salt Lake City in just over 2.5 hours. I find Twin Falls gets hotter in the summer and has milder winters.

Not sure why the houses here have basements, while houses in Twin do not, but I'm happy to have one. Maybe something to do with different geology of the two areas.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:39 PM

37 posts, read 87,299 times
<<<<<<<<<<<in an attempt to get this thread back on track:

When I moved here 4 years ago, the reason I chose Idaho Falls over Twin Falls was because I preferred to be closer to the Tetons and Yellowstone and all of the world-class recreation in the area. Idaho Falls is growing at a good pace and has many of the conveniences of a much larger city. I think we have solid infrastructure and it seems the city and county are making strides with roads and other improvement projects to stay on the front end of the population growth. The downtown area of Idaho Falls is going through an exciting revitalization and we are transforming our vocational/technical school into a community college soon and building a new Events Center in the near future which will host conventions, concerts, and possibly a minor league hockey team. Idaho Falls, itself, has just over 60,000 residents while Twin Falls has just shy of 50,000. Now that I-15 is 80mph the entire way, I can get to Salt Lake City in just over 2.5 hours. I find Twin Falls gets hotter in the summer and has milder winters.

Not sure why the houses here have basements, while houses in Twin do not, but I'm happy to have one. Maybe something to do with different geology of the two areas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thank you very much for your answer and input, you and the others who answered my basements question as well as input on Twin Falls and Idaho falls.

With a couple of years before I pull the trigger and my wife and I up and leave the area we grew up, were raised, married and raised a family in...... I can honestly say we are evenly divided between TF and IF.

Like most retirement folks, we are seeking a safe area, good close medical care, good friendly people and all the necessary conveniences near by. I'm sure it will be no problem getting around the first 2/3 of our retirement, but expect the final 1/3 to be a different story.

We plan on spending a week traveling around both cities during the spring when our last is on his Easter break from High School.

I would greatly appreciate any and all input concerning the good, the bad and the ugly of both TF and IF.

I would also appreciate the person who dislikes both of the cities maybe elaborating on why????

Than you all so very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls