Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2017, 01:21 PM

811 posts, read 731,250 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been in Pokey for a month now and Ireceived some great advise on this forum ahead of time. So I thought I would pay it forward and put up a thread that future potential transplants can look at to see a newcomer's view. For reference, we moved here from southern Wisconsin.

- Pocatello is in a very beautiful area, surrounded by mountains and has plentiful opportunities for hiking, biking, and other outdoor recreation right outside your door.

- It is also very conveniently located to other outdoor attractions. We were in the Teton Valley and visted Mesa Falls last weekend. This weekend a trip to Yellowstone is on tap!

- People are very polite here compared to the Midwest, especially while driving. The lone exception was that nobody wanted to let me into traffic in my moving truck.

- One downside....very poor cheese selection compared to Wisconsin, though I suppose that was to be expected.

- There is a decent number of restaraunts here, including a few good local places if you take the time to look. I recommend Buddys for Italian and El Herradero for Mexican.

- The main weather difference from the Midwest is the cooler nights, daytime temperatures haven't been very different, though much less humid.

- It is rather easy to get around town, though the one way roads in the ISU area take some getting used to. I can go from my place on the far south end of town to the I 86 area in about 15 minutes, even during busy traffic times.

- My wife is struggling a bit to find work, but does have some apps out now so fingers crossed. She has a lot of experience in the field she is trying to get into, so we are optimistic.

- We love the grocery stores here!

- Overall Pocatello has a good selection of retail stores. The few that we don't have that I would like are Target, Best Buy and Barnes and Noble.

To sum it up, we love it here so far and are very happy with our decision! I would be happy to try to answer any questions that potential transplants might have and will continue to update this thread as more things come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 02:50 PM

5,322 posts, read 18,196,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
My wife and I have been in Pokey for a month now and Ireceived some great advise on this forum ahead of time. So I thought I would pay it forward and put up a thread that future potential transplants can look at to see a newcomer's view. For reference, we moved here from southern Wisconsin.

- Pocatello is in a very beautiful area, surrounded by mountains and has plentiful opportunities for hiking, biking, and other outdoor recreation right outside your door.

- It is also very conveniently located to other outdoor attractions. We were in the Teton Valley and visted Mesa Falls last weekend. This weekend a trip to Yellowstone is on tap!

- People are very polite here compared to the Midwest, especially while driving. The lone exception was that nobody wanted to let me into traffic in my moving truck.

- One downside....very poor cheese selection compared to Wisconsin, though I suppose that was to be expected.

- There is a decent number of restaraunts here, including a few good local places if you take the time to look. I recommend Buddys for Italian and El Herradero for Mexican.

- The main weather difference from the Midwest is the cooler nights, daytime temperatures haven't been very different, though much less humid.

- It is rather easy to get around town, though the one way roads in the ISU area take some getting used to. I can go from my place on the far south end of town to the I 86 area in about 15 minutes, even during busy traffic times.

- My wife is struggling a bit to find work, but does have some apps out now so fingers crossed. She has a lot of experience in the field she is trying to get into, so we are optimistic.

- We love the grocery stores here!

- Overall Pocatello has a good selection of retail stores. The few that we don't have that I would like are Target, Best Buy and Barnes and Noble.

To sum it up, we love it here so far and are very happy with our decision! I would be happy to try to answer any questions that potential transplants might have and will continue to update this thread as more things come to mind.
You're correct, when it comes to cheese, ID won't compare to WI. However, there is a cheese factory in Twin Falls and when you're cruising to Yellowstone, stop in at Reed's Dairy on West Broadway or in Ammon at Sunnyside and Hitt Roads for cheese curds.

Your Target, Best Buy and Barnes & Noble can be found up here in IF as well. Keep an eye on your mall, they have huge new shoe store going in that can hopefully act as an anchor to help revive the Pine Ridge Mall in Chubbuck.

Ironically, both the CAL Ranch and Sportsman's Warehouse tend to have better selections than the same stores here in.

Welcome to SE Idaho

Old 10-25-2017, 07:28 PM

168 posts, read 170,734 times
And don't forget Manwaring cheese, in Rigby!!!

Old 10-25-2017, 09:18 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,733,289 times
I lived in Poky/IF from 2006 to 2014. Spent my first three years in Poky, then the last five in IF.

Some immediate hits on the differences:

Pocatello: Quirky
Idaho Falls: Utah-North

Pocatello: somewhat scenic
Idaho Falls: flat

Pocatello: limited retail/restuarants
Idaho Falls: not limited

Pocatello: Warmer in winter
Idaho Falls: Colder in winter

Pocatello: College town
Idaho Falls: Not

Pocatello: kind of western
Idaho Falls: not so much

Pocatello: great old town downtown
Idaho Falls: an old downtown

Old 10-25-2017, 10:03 PM

45 posts, read 36,905 times
Awesome post! I am from Teton Valley but will likely be making a move to Pocatello within the next couple of months for work. I quite like Pocatello, so it's good to hear some good things about it instead of the usual negativity.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:07 AM

Most of the negative things I see online come from people that have lived here a very long time that probably have a bit of "grass is greener" sydrome. No, it's not a perfect town, but in my opinion, it is the best I have lived in thus far.

For example, I saw some locals on Facebook complaining about crime here, I lived in Rockford, Illinois for many years. It's not uncommon to have 20+ shootings on a summer weekend there, I'll take the crime here! In Janesville, Wisconsin I couldnt drive anywhere without encountering somebody with severe road rage, no incidents yet here.

I think most of the negative stuff said about Poky and this region in general is said by people that will never be satisfied, there is always something better out there to them.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:13 PM

8,373 posts, read 8,589,909 times
You said folks were polite. What would you say, if you want to generalize, about "friendly" (want to get to know / help you)? Lean toward nosy or standoffish or about right? What you do on Sunday come up much?

Old 01-19-2018, 09:56 PM

We are renting a place in a mobile home community, very close to the neighbors, and no issues with nosiness thus far. Nobody has asked us the Sunday question. I find people to be friendlier at places like restaurants, gas stations, etc then they typically were in the Midwest. Haven't had any issues with anyone being stand offish, though we find we typically have to initiate conversation, though people are happy to chat once we do. I work from home, so I don't have a ton of interation, been thinking about joining a bowling team or martial arts school to meet some people. The wife just started her new job, nothing but good things to say about her coworkers.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:15 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,733,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
We are renting a place in a mobile home community, very close to the neighbors, and no issues with nosiness thus far. Nobody has asked us the Sunday question. I find people to be friendlier at places like restaurants, gas stations, etc then they typically were in the Midwest. Haven't had any issues with anyone being stand offish, though we find we typically have to initiate conversation, though people are happy to chat once we do. I work from home, so I don't have a ton of interation, been thinking about joining a bowling team or martial arts school to meet some people. The wife just started her new job, nothing but good things to say about her coworkers.
I lived in Poky from 2006 to 2009, then moved to IF to be closer to work from 2009-2014. I hear you about "initiating conversation". Eastern Idaho shares some characteristics of the Pacific Northwest, and one of those characteristics is a somewhat "reserved" attitude. Doesn't mean they are rude, they just tend to be quiet/shy until you engage them. This comes from the Scandinavian culture, which somewhat dominates PNW folks.

Good for you for recognizing it and how to get passed it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls