U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 10:22 PM

34,730 posts, read 21,107,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennguino View Post
Toyman,

I lived in Colorado Springs for just over a decade. I rode all year round. It gets cold but it being high desert, it gets tons of sun. Snow usually doesn’t linger long. I was more worried about the sand they throw down on the roads. It sticks around longer than the snow.

The good, was the location. I had the view of a 14000 footer staring at me in the mornings everyday. Beautiful snow capped peaks on clear blue skies. Northern springs always got more snow than the south where I lived. Northern side of town was more affluent. The Spring doesn’t get a lot of snow unless there is an Albuquerque low. Then it suck the snow in on us. We sit in a bowl. The storms usually push up over the mountains to the west. About 10 miles away from foot hills. Then it blows over us and dumps to our east. It gets hot 90’s 100’s. I like the atmosphere. Western cowboy rancher type. Country but not red neckish like the Southeast. I grew up in the south east and have a little hick in me. Huge military town. There are four bases within thirty miles of each other. Great renaissance fest up in Larkspur every year.

The bad, altitude and storms. The springs sit at 6200 feet and if you move west it raises quickly. Some medical conditions are sensitive to the altitude. I just turned 50 last year and I am in relatively good health. For my wife it affected her. We won’t be able to move back. We still have a house there. The storms can be violent. Major hail damage every year. Flooding seems to have gotten worse also. Crime also felt a little worse than other places. Nothing like Denver. But we still had gangs, shootings, and home invasions. The springs is a big city with crappy roads and bad traffic.

If you get out maybe to woodland park area it is real nice. Great riding through the mountains and exciting twisties. Still only 45 minutes from the springs but small town feel. Pricy and elevation is around nine grand.

I met my wife there and retired from the military there. So Colorado has a special place for me. I currently live in Hawaii. Heading to CDA this weekend to scout it out. Still ten years from retiring but we miss the snow and four seasons. Was looking at Leavenworth, we Lived in Bavaria for three years, but doesn’t look like enough infrastructure. Spokane, CDA, Sandpoint, Newport are on the list this weekend and next week.

Pennguino
Thanks for the detailed info. I hope your trip to NID went well. We got a pretty good dump of snow Thursday night up here, but the weekend was decent-hope you didn't hit bad roads.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls