U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2018, 02:12 AM

8 posts, read 16,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Don't trust what you read on the net. In the mountains here, 2 miles can make all the difference in internet usage.

I don't want to comment as to how well you may fit in with the locals; since I'm a native, and these places are part of my lifelong stomping grounds, my perceptions are probably much different, because even though I live in the 'Big city', I'm completely at ease whenever I'm in any of them.
Longtime natives all get to know other folks here. While I might have never met someone before, its likely I will know a relative or a friend when I'm introduced to a stranger. We all walk and talk the same.

Of those 3 towns, Salmon is the largest and most diverse, I think. Salmon has some retirees who moved there, and so close to the Montana border, there are a lot of Montanans coming and going, which helps the diversity. Salmon is also a bit more touristy than the others, which also makes for more diversity.

So my first advice is still the best, I think. If you were to come for a month or more, and spend some time in all 3, I'm sure you would have these questions answered.

In general, newcomers either fit in right away or not at all, it seems to me, but those perceptions are based mostly on folks here in Idaho Falls, which is large enough to allow different folks different groups of people here who have some things in common from the first.

In our smaller towns, there isn't as much diversity that way. People here are friendly, but finding deep friendships is hard here for some newcomers who don't have much in common with the locals. As you have already lived in some tiny towns, you might not have a problem at all, but I can't really say that with any accuracy.
Thanks Mike, I think I know exactly what you mean about the small town thing and newcomers. We're OUTSIDERS! I get that loud and clear. I've been in this little town since 2012, and it took a good 2-3 years before people started to "come around" if you know what I mean. Lol. That's actually the main reason I restarted my online business. No one wants to give you a chance at a job in small towns. They look at you as an outsider. Anyway, thanks for the information. I'm a stubborn cuss, and won't let the "small town folk" bother me...

Last edited by jiminbimn; 03-04-2018 at 02:42 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 02:18 AM

2,176 posts, read 2,538,067 times
https://www.steelemh.org/

Steel Memorial Hospital is one of the best Rural hospitals in the area.
Just information for you.

Salmon was on my list to check out to move. I did a lot of research. But my Ex-wife passed away before i could retire up there. My new wife likes Washington State up around Skagit County. There is inversion warnings during the winter time because of all the smoke from home fire, and you are located in a bowl in between mountain ranges.
Best of luck in your visits and move.

Last edited by ScottStielow; 03-04-2018 at 02:28 AM..

Old 03-04-2018, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
https://www.steelemh.org/

Steel Memorial Hospital is one of the best Rural hospitals in the area.
Just information for you.

Salmon was on my list to check out to move. I did a lot of research. But my Ex-wife passed away before i could retire up there. My new wife likes Washington State up around Skagit County. There is inversion warnings during the winter time because of all the smoke from home fire, and you are located in a bowl in between mountain ranges.
Best of luck in your visits and move.
Thanks for the information Scott.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:53 AM

25,699 posts, read 17,136,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminbimn View Post
Thanks Mike, I think I know exactly what you mean about the small town thing and newcomers. We're OUTSIDERS! I get that loud and clear. I've been in this little town since 2012, and it took a good 2 years before people started to "come around" if you know what I mean. Lol. That's actually the main reason I restarted my online business. No one wants to give you a chance at a job in small towns. They look at you as an outsider. Anyway, thanks for the information. I'm a stubborn cuss, and won't let the "small town folk" bother me...
Hi, Jim...
There are alternatives between the extremes.
There are a lot of small communities that surround most of our major cities that are much closer to the big town than those 3 you're looking at.

If you like the small town life, you don't have to be miles and miles away from an urban area here to still be able to enjoy all our outdoor activities with ease, as it's all around us here, no matter where you live.

Life in a little farm town 15 miles outside of Idaho Falls isn't any different than the same life in another farm town that's 150 miles away, but the difference makes a lot of difference; the closer town is much more likely to be close to what you need for your business, and things like UPS delivery are much more reliable and frequent.

At about 50,000, Idaho Falls isn't exactly a big city, except in Idaho terms, but it services a huge 200 mile area and is a pretty high-tech place, so it punches well over it's weight when it comes to medical services, shopping, internet tech, and merchandizing. It abounds with activities of all kinds.

While it's grown tremendously over my lifetime- it had less than 10,000 population when I was born- it still retains a lot of small-town ways about it. I notice the differences more than most folks who move here with no experience of how slow life once was here. It's still very laid-back to newcomers, who often find it a bit too slow here.

While I live in town, I have lots of friends and relatives who live outside the city limits, and life 5 miles out of town is as quiet and peaceful as it is in any other more remote places. The biggest difference is dinner and a movie is only minutes instead of hours away.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:51 AM

4,754 posts, read 16,562,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Hi, Jim...
There are alternatives between the extremes.
There are a lot of small communities that surround most of our major cities that are much closer to the big town than those 3 you're looking at.

If you like the small town life, you don't have to be miles and miles away from an urban area here to still be able to enjoy all our outdoor activities with ease, as it's all around us here, no matter where you live.

Life in a little farm town 15 miles outside of Idaho Falls isn't any different than the same life in another farm town that's 150 miles away, but the difference makes a lot of difference; the closer town is much more likely to be close to what you need for your business, and things like UPS delivery are much more reliable and frequent.

At about 50,000, Idaho Falls isn't exactly a big city, except in Idaho terms, but it services a huge 200 mile area and is a pretty high-tech place, so it punches well over it's weight when it comes to medical services, shopping, internet tech, and merchandizing. It abounds with activities of all kinds.

While it's grown tremendously over my lifetime- it had less than 10,000 population when I was born- it still retains a lot of small-town ways about it. I notice the differences more than most folks who move here with no experience of how slow life once was here. It's still very laid-back to newcomers, who often find it a bit too slow here.

While I live in town, I have lots of friends and relatives who live outside the city limits, and life 5 miles out of town is as quiet and peaceful as it is in any other more remote places. The biggest difference is dinner and a movie is only minutes instead of hours away.
Mike, once again you've nailed it!! We came here in the early 90's from a large city in Central California. Didn't take long at all to fit in or acclimate as it's who we are on the inside. We live east of the city limits, yet close enough to the hospital and work to make it easy, yet quiet.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:08 PM

277 posts, read 378,351 times
I have a Salmon address, but live 23 miles south of town in an area that's about as remote as it gets. My husband and I both work from home. The internet is okay but expensive. It's not stellar but it gets the job done. Your only internet choice aside from Century Link (and satellite of course, which I wouldn't recommend if you need reliable service for work) is a local co-op called Custer Tel. You can google them and find their info and price options.

I travel to Hamilton, MT for groceries once or twice a month because the local grocery store is less than desirable. It's overpriced and the quality isn't the best. Even with the cost of gas up over the pass to MT, we still come out ahead with savings on meat, fruits and veggies. We've been here for 2.5 years and I've made the trip to Idaho Falls once. Just prefer the drive to MT instead. As for everything else, it works out well for us to just order online and have it shipped (toiletries, etc.).

Winters are touch and go. Last winter was pretty spectacular as far as snow goes. We had over 30 inches on the ground at one point that stayed there for well over a month. Temps dipped in the negatives for what seemed like forever and it was literally a frozen tundra for what seemed like forever. We live on the Salmon river and had minor flooding in the spring from the snow melt. This winter has been quite the opposite. Not much snow at all. Summertime is gorgeous but also quick. Your best months are July and August but just like that, it's over. Keep in mind that this is the high mountain desert and will also be extremely dry. You will definitely feel the effects of wildfires when they blow up. The smoke from surrounding fires lies in the valley for months.

This area is one of the most beautiful parts of Idaho, IMO. If you are into the outdoors, you will never grow tired or run out of things to do. Money is important though. Don't come without it and make sure you'll have it coming in while you're here. It's not a cheap place to live, and as has been noted here time and time again, you can't eat the scenery.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Of the 3, I'd probably pick Salmon, at least to start. Salmon has a tourist industry (including rafting) and it getting a few more restaurants and other new businesses. It had a Chinese restaurant in recent past and may again in future. Hamilton and Dillon MT have one.

Plenty of snow in the mountains to west and north but not that much in town. 150 miles to so to Idaho Falls or Missoula if you want other options. Only 100 to Hamilton, which has a pretty good downtown.

You'll want to check specifics but your best internet options will be at in-town addresses.
What are these restaurants and new businesses that are coming in?

There is also definitely no sign of a Chinese restaurant coming back to town. And, unfortunately, the only place that we've found any decent Chinese was in Missoula, MT. I just make my own now when we have the craving for it.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:19 PM

5,894 posts, read 5,477,064 times
The Pork Peddler was the first that came to mind. 2-3 years old. For the Love of Food is what 1.5- 2 years old? Some stores that I saw last time I was there weren't in my memory of being there before. So yeah modest changes but more than none.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-10-2018 at 10:37 PM..

Old 03-11-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
The Pork Peddler was the first that came to mind. 2-3 years old. For the Love of Food is what 1.5- 2 years old? Some stores that I saw last time I was there weren't in my memory of being there before. So yeah modest changes but more than none.
Yes, Pork Peddler was already here when we got here, so it's older than 2.5 years. For the Love of Food is a little over a year old. For the Love of Food isn't bad, but it's not much of a change from the pizza shop it replaced, which was mediocre at best. Murdoch's is the only other business that came to town that's fairly new and I believe that was about 2 years ago. Unfortunately, I've seen more businesses close just within the last year than anything. Kings, McPherson's, SD Landscaping... just to name a few. The town isn't booming which is unfortunate because it could really be something - but I don't even pretend to know or want to know the politics of what happens with the local gov't so, that's that.

I don't mean to be a downer about it. It's truly a beautiful area, especially for retirees or individuals with boatloads of money who don't know what to do with it all. For single people or younger families with small children... it can be difficult. I know the OP said he's bringing his work with him, which is the way to go here because employment opportunities are very few and far between, unless you're looking at getting a job with the high school kids at the grocery store or Burger King.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngirlatheart View Post
Yes, Pork Peddler was already here when we got here, so it's older than 2.5 years. For the Love of Food is a little over a year old. For the Love of Food isn't bad, but it's not much of a change from the pizza shop it replaced, which was mediocre at best. Murdoch's is the only other business that came to town that's fairly new and I believe that was about 2 years ago. Unfortunately, I've seen more businesses close just within the last year than anything. Kings, McPherson's, SD Landscaping... just to name a few. The town isn't booming which is unfortunate because it could really be something - but I don't even pretend to know or want to know the politics of what happens with the local gov't so, that's that.

I don't mean to be a downer about it. It's truly a beautiful area, especially for retirees or individuals with boatloads of money who don't know what to do with it all. For single people or younger families with small children... it can be difficult. I know the OP said he's bringing his work with him, which is the way to go here because employment opportunities are very few and far between, unless you're looking at getting a job with the high school kids at the grocery store or Burger King.
Where is there a burger king? Are we talking about salmon or Challis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls