U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 10:42 AM

210 posts, read 880,590 times

Advertisements

There is no way you can compare cell coverage and competition in Idaho with SF, try remote areas of California and that is more what you'll see. Sure, the Metro areas are covered pretty good. There are a couple "local" providers with no contract (syringa wireless and cleartalk) but haven't heard good things. Boise has cricket which I have heard good things about.

You pretty much have your choice of the big guys, Verizon, Edge (at&t), and Sprint Nextel, and T-Mobile, then Alltel.

Edge does have an UnlimitEdge rate plan which looked okay, maybe check it on their website.

I am not impressed with the cell plans and service here it is not very competitive and has gotten worse in the past 4 years. I have an old US Cellular plan (sold to Alltel) that no one can touch, pricewise.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 06:49 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,938,383 times
Default Research the Plans

I have been very happy with my T-Mobile service. I have to travel a lot to different states and had to select a provider who had the most coverage. It came down to two plans.

I'd encourage any who don't know to log onto the various websites and look at various providers service area. They now how maps, very detailed - to the street - of what service and how many "bars" -or how well the service operates in a specific area.

The only place I haven't been able to get service in ID, is north of Malad on I-15 prior to McCammon. I'm sure all who travel that road know what areas I'm referring to. But, those are at the longest maybe 20-30 minutes I can't access my phone very clearly.

You know what you have now, norcalmom, and I'd encourage you to look at the national providers and review their charts of coverage. You can also see what the more regional providers offer too.

Twinprism, you mentioned Cricket. I know a bit about it. Truly, one should never leave home or perhaps 5-10 miles away, with it. Cricket is designed for local service. Probably for those who prefer only to have a cell phone instead of a landline in their house. I've never used it as I've seen too many problems. It was introduced in other markets years ago and it doesn't seem to resolve the problems in service delivery. But, that may have just been the people I knew who used the service.

I should also add I receive my Blackberry service through T-Mobile and also have a T-Mobile Modem for one laptop. Overall, I've been impressed.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:29 PM

Mtn States, so Cricket is similar in that regard to local providers cleartalk and syringa wireless. Thanks for clarifying. My Brother had cricket in a more urban area, and he liked it but didn't travel far from home and work, so that probably wouldn't cut it in most of Idaho.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:01 PM

291 posts, read 1,968,253 times
I actually think Cricket does a pretty good job in Boise. Their Unlimited plans start at $35. You can also roam out of town, but your minutes are not Unlimted, but coverage is good because you'll be roaming on Verizon. Sprint has the 2nd cheapest Unlimited at $90. Get reviews of all Idaho cellular carriers, and all the Unlimited carriers.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:25 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,034,532 times
Thanks for all the awesome input. Cricket sounds like my MetroPCS, if maybe more limited in coverage area. Anyone have any experience with Cleartalk and/or Syringa wireless in Shelley/IF area?

Old 06-21-2008, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 6,589 times
Default I have

I have at&t and im visiting Idaho rite now im not having any probs i do think its your phone

Old 06-22-2008, 04:36 PM

I wish I knew more about Cleartalk and Syringa.

I'm shopping for a new cell plan right now, as I can't add my teenage son to my current plan, but I hesitate to give it up. I'm not impressed with what the plans cost right now and how they all nickel and dime you for each feature and expensive overages unless you get the insanely expensive unlimited plans. I can't believe we put up with this as consumers. I think the market is ripe for someone to kick the big guys butts. T-mobile's Hot spot and home service where you use VOIP when in range of WIFI is a cool idea. Phone companies are not locking down their handsets as much with threats from Google's Android and similar open platforms.

Can you remind me what features are you interested in and I may be able to help more? Each provider has advantage in certain areas.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:15 PM

flat rate, unlimited service, no contract. I pay 90 for 2 phones with unlimited local, long distance, texting, voice mail, and 411 directory, with no contract, all cash and anonymous

Old 06-23-2008, 09:12 PM

I'd check Syringa or Cleartalk. Unless you go with prepaid everybody else will make you sign a contract unless you have an unlocked phone or pay full price for the phones or something. Syringa has some plans in that same price range, but I'm not sure if they require a contract. Syringa Wireless | Promotions (http://www.syringawireless.com/promos/index.php - broken link)

Cleartalk has pretty limited features, and limited roaming.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:05 PM

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls