U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 12:17 PM

475 posts, read 1,373,617 times

Advertisements

You might want to try Trac Phone through Walmart. My daughter moved from FL to MT in Jan., her AT&T phone had iffy service at best. The Trac Phone does NOT have a contract, she has unlimited calls and text for about $58 a month including taxes. I don't know if it is available in Idaho, but it worked for her in Portland, Seattle, all over Montana and Wyoming. There have been a few times when she has had dropped calls, but that happens with all services.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 06:54 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,963,663 times
Default Updates Please

I would enjoy hearing from others who they are using as their carriers in the Idaho Falls market.

Your thoughts, please.

Thx

MSR

Old 11-09-2013, 01:01 PM

Default Big Button Phones?

Has anyone had any experience with the "Big Button" or "Sr. Phones" and local providers? I'm looking for a phone for my aging mother and encountering obstacles I never anticipated.

I know I wrote what many might perceive as the "buzz kill" post about retiring in Idaho; however, this is a small but relevant example of what I meant. Things those use to certain things in larger cities might not find them accessible in Idaho. I've researched online, but as for local customer service, reception in different areas etc. the internet can't help.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

MSR

P.S. For anyone wanting service from Sprint, the largest display is at the store by the Ammon Walmart on Hitt Rd. That is also the local repair center. All the area Sprint stores are owned by the same person, who is tight enough with one of my extended family members, that my relative returns to ID from Louisiana to hunt with him.

Thanks for any thoughts everyone.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:15 AM

4,766 posts, read 16,592,314 times
I've never dealt with any of those phones, but I'm thinking any provider would have information? You know me, I'm a Verizon girl through and through

Old 11-10-2013, 12:39 PM

Default Hmmnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I've never dealt with any of those phones, but I'm thinking any provider would have information? You know me, I'm a Verizon girl through and through
CM,

1. I do know you and have been laughing at certain updates I saw on FB yesterday!!!!!!
2. My experience so far is ONE local provider has tried to be helpful. Most really are clueless, or at least their employees I talked with/saw couldn't provide info I didn't know. One suggested I trade my 4 month old phone in so I could get two of what I didn't want for my mom (and me) I won't write what I thought.

3. I'm going to trying reading/posting in a few more places while researching another. It doesn't help I dislike shopping in general.

Thanks for trying to help

Old 11-23-2013, 08:51 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,042,549 times
With teenagers and the life and death need for unlimited texting, voice and internet, I am SO happy to have discovered Walmart Family Mobile, which runs off the tmobile network. This has been by far the LEAST expensive most comprehensive and best "no contract" option we have found so far.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
With teenagers and the life and death need for unlimited texting, voice and internet, I am SO happy to have discovered Walmart Family Mobile, which runs off the tmobile network. This has been by far the LEAST expensive most comprehensive and best "no contract" option we have found so far.
How are you liking Tmobile and did your number change??

Old 11-23-2013, 12:28 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedsmit View Post
You might want to try Trac Phone through Walmart. My daughter moved from FL to MT in Jan., her AT&T phone had iffy service at best. The Trac Phone does NOT have a contract, she has unlimited calls and text for about $58 a month including taxes. I don't know if it is available in Idaho, but it worked for her in Portland, Seattle, all over Montana and Wyoming. There have been a few times when she has had dropped calls, but that happens with all services.
Reedsmit,

I don't know how I missed your post but I did. Sorry.

I have an emergency Track Fone so I am familiar with how they work, just not all their choices for phones.

Ultimately, while there is a phone via Amazon I really like for SRs. (5 " instead of the usual 3.5- 4.0) and an emergency alert contact, my mom decided she wanted to try the best option of Trac Fone first. She liked it because it had a flashlight in the phone and she could finally hear on a cell. I modified it a bit by taping buttons etc. I didn't want her to touch. Then it was simple to show her how to use it. Santa might happen to bring her the other so she can compare.
The reception for Trac Fone is great in eastern ID, UT, and elsewhere. They "rent" the AT&T network so reception is clear.

Verizon is the only big company, apart from the independents like Trac Fone and others like NorCal mom mentioned, who are even attempting to address the needs of SRs. This could be big business, yet most prefer to focus on college age or adults. Many SRs. have more in their checking accts. than the other groups.

One never knows, given what I've learned I'm about ready to open a small business catering to Sr. needs.

Thanks again to those who posted with tips or suggestions.

msr

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 11-23-2013 at 12:37 PM..

Old 11-24-2013, 08:49 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,042,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
How are you liking Tmobile and did your number change??
Same number, and the price cannot be beat. Have not yet travelled with the service out of the area, I will report back once we do!

Old 11-24-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Same number, and the price cannot be beat. Have not yet travelled with the service out of the area, I will report back once we do!
Well, then I think a road trip is in order
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls