U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-19-2018, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
2 posts, read 2,576 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi, I would like to ask some questions of Idaho Falls residents because my family and I are thinking about moving there. For background, we live in Atlanta, my wife and I both work (corporate jobs), our son is in University, we have three dogs and we love outdoors but have never really lived in cold weather (lived in Brazil, Atlanta and Tampa). My wife is Colombian American (bi-lingual) and I am just a regular "Americano". Also, we are more spiritual than "religious", but when we go to church we go to a non-denominational church. Hopefully, that helps tell you about us. So, now for some questions (if anyone is still reading)...

1) How cold is it? Also, with an all wheel drive car, how many days are too hard to drive for a beginner snow driver?
2) What is the nightlife like? We are not big partiers, but do like to go to bars and restaurants, occasionally concerts or clubs.
3) Are there Latinos and/or other nationalities? Note, I know the stats, I mean more are there cool international clubs or festivals?
4) How hard is it to meet new people? For an adult but also our single 20yr old?
5) What is the closest Mtn Biking, Kelly Canyon?
6) How hard would it be for a corporate finance manager to find a job?
7) How do you live without Chipotle? Note, that was a joke, but my son is sad about that...

Thanks a lot for anyone who can help answer these...

Mike
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-19-2018, 11:48 PM
 
423 posts, read 309,346 times
Reputation: 151
This winter has been abnormally mild. But the actual temperatures shouldnt be used to tell you what you will get. I used to live in Texas. The cold there and other places still felt very cold, only a little different. I froze my face off in 30 degree windy weather there the same way I do here at 5 below zero. Your all wheel drive car would do fine in snow. People here sometimes need reminded to slow down on slick roads. Stick with that and you'll do fine.
Yeah statistically, there is a strong Hispanic community in Idaho but international clubs and such are something you'll find in larger population centers.
Nightlife, as most everything else, is not as diverse in small towns as opposed to metro centers. Just recently we've been seeing more upper scale establishments come in. I for one don't like tobacco smoke and it is still allowed in some of the bars.
As long as you don't wait for people to approach you, meeting people is easy.
I've waited very long for my next chipotle fix but I'm overly optimistic we'll get one soon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2018, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Southeast Idaho
4,755 posts, read 16,566,288 times
Reputation: 2697
1) How cold is it? Also, with an all wheel drive car, how many days are too hard to drive for a beginner snow driver? I've witnessed -15 F. All wheel drive is great, just make certain to have all season tires. As for the last part, difficult to answer depending on overall driving skills.
2) What is the nightlife like? We are not big partiers, but do like to go to bars and restaurants, occasionally concerts or clubs. We do have bars, Alive After 5 in the downtown area in the Summer and early Fall months, along with concerts that come to Sandy Downs (which is also where BeerFest is held), both the Civic and Colonial host concerts and plays. We have the typical chain eateries- Texas Roadhouse, regional, Jaker's and local establishments as well like Bees Knees and The Celt.
3) Are there Latinos and/or other nationalities? Note, I know the stats, I mean more are there cool international clubs or festivals? Yes and not so much. Compared to when we moved here in the early 90's,
things are changing, I believe I've noticed Cinco de Mayo celebrations in the past few years.

4) How hard is it to meet new people? For an adult but also our single 20yr old?Not hard at all, especially if you can find activities that you enjoy.
5) What is the closest Mtn Biking, Kelly Canyon?
6) How hard would it be for a corporate finance manager to find a job? You want to seek this out in advance!!
7) How do you live without Chipotle? Note, that was a joke, but my son is sad about that

We typically advise you to rent before buying so you can get to know the area, that said it's extremely difficult to find rentals that allow pets.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2018, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
2 posts, read 2,576 times
Reputation: 10
@Cleosmom and @Theotherdude

Thanks so much for your thoughtful responses!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2018, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Southeast Idaho
4,755 posts, read 16,566,288 times
Reputation: 2697
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkehoe55 View Post
@Cleosmom and @Theotherdude

Thanks so much for your thoughtful responses!
You're welcome!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2018, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Aiea, Hawaii
2,181 posts, read 2,539,880 times
Reputation: 1398
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkehoe55 View Post
Hi, I would like to ask some questions of Idaho Falls residents because my family and I are thinking about moving there. For background, we live in Atlanta, my wife and I both work (corporate jobs), our son is in University, we have three dogs and we love outdoors but have never really lived in cold weather (lived in Brazil, Atlanta and Tampa). My wife is Colombian American (bi-lingual) and I am just a regular "Americano". Also, we are more spiritual than "religious", but when we go to church we go to a non-denominational church. Hopefully, that helps tell you about us. So, now for some questions (if anyone is still reading)...

1) How cold is it? Also, with an all wheel drive car, how many days are too hard to drive for a beginner snow driver?
2) What is the nightlife like? We are not big partiers, but do like to go to bars and restaurants, occasionally concerts or clubs.
3) Are there Latinos and/or other nationalities? Note, I know the stats, I mean more are there cool international clubs or festivals?
4) How hard is it to meet new people? For an adult but also our single 20yr old?
5) What is the closest Mtn Biking, Kelly Canyon?
6) How hard would it be for a corporate finance manager to find a job?
7) How do you live without Chipotle? Note, that was a joke, but my son is sad about that...

Thanks a lot for anyone who can help answer these...

Mike
I would visit before I move to insure I would like to live in IF.
Best option would be in the winter, but almost over, or Spring.
There are sudden snow storms during the spring time here.
That would test if you would like to move here. Otherwise I would
visit, any time in the Summer to fall, to find about the area that
you are planning to live in, if you would like it.
Best of luck in your planning.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2018, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Iowa
1,696 posts, read 2,450,672 times
Reputation: 3045
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
I would visit before I move to insure I would like to live in IF.
Best option would be in the winter, but almost over, or Spring.
There are sudden snow storms during the spring time here.
That would test if you would like to move here. Otherwise I would
visit, any time in the Summer to fall, to find about the area that
you are planning to live in, if you would like it.
Best of luck in your planning.

How far into spring do snow storms occur on average (in the town of Idaho Falls)? I'm in Iowa and we had one just last week after a somewhat unusually mild winter.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2018, 09:30 PM
 
Location: WA Desert, Seattle native
7,636 posts, read 5,332,775 times
Reputation: 6399
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkehoe55 View Post
Hi, I would like to ask some questions of Idaho Falls residents because my family and I are thinking about moving there. For background, we live in Atlanta, my wife and I both work (corporate jobs), our son is in University, we have three dogs and we love outdoors but have never really lived in cold weather (lived in Brazil, Atlanta and Tampa). My wife is Colombian American (bi-lingual) and I am just a regular "Americano". Also, we are more spiritual than "religious", but when we go to church we go to a non-denominational church. Hopefully, that helps tell you about us. So, now for some questions (if anyone is still reading)...

1) How cold is it? Also, with an all wheel drive car, how many days are too hard to drive for a beginner snow driver?
2) What is the nightlife like? We are not big partiers, but do like to go to bars and restaurants, occasionally concerts or clubs.
3) Are there Latinos and/or other nationalities? Note, I know the stats, I mean more are there cool international clubs or festivals?
4) How hard is it to meet new people? For an adult but also our single 20yr old?
5) What is the closest Mtn Biking, Kelly Canyon?
6) How hard would it be for a corporate finance manager to find a job?
7) How do you live without Chipotle? Note, that was a joke, but my son is sad about that...

Thanks a lot for anyone who can help answer these...

Mike
Sorry if I am repeating some info here...

1. Idaho has a modified continental climate, meaning cold winters and hot summers, but modified by still being relatively close to the Pacific, so some of the extremes are less. The city is mostly flat, so most vehicles with good tires can get around with 2-wheel drive.

2. Nightlife? What is that?

3. Yes, Latinos exist in East Idaho. International clubs or festivities? Perhaps, but smallish.

4. Medium hard to meet new people. The population is largely LDS, so that is one way, but doesn't mean that you can't meet others who don't share the religion.

5. Not sure on this, but the area has many biking paths.

6. Corporate jobs are not huge in IF, but I'm sure anyone with that experience would find decent employment.

7. Nearest Chipolte is 50 miles south in Pocatello. There are plenty of other Mexican choices in IF however!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2018, 10:29 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
3,016 posts, read 2,109,405 times
Reputation: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
This winter has been abnormally mild. But the actual temperatures shouldnt be used to tell you what you will get. I used to live in Texas. The cold there and other places still felt very cold, only a little different. I froze my face off in 30 degree windy weather there the same way I do here at 5 below zero. Your all wheel drive car would do fine in snow. People here sometimes need reminded to slow down on slick roads. Stick with that and you'll do fine.
Yeah statistically, there is a strong Hispanic community in Idaho but international clubs and such are something you'll find in larger population centers.
Nightlife, as most everything else, is not as diverse in small towns as opposed to metro centers. Just recently we've been seeing more upper scale establishments come in. I for one don't like tobacco smoke and it is still allowed in some of the bars.
As long as you don't wait for people to approach you, meeting people is easy.
I've waited very long for my next chipotle fix but I'm overly optimistic we'll get one soon.
Chipotle??? How about some Asian foods?
Rear wheel drive cars won't cut it in the snow so We will need a new car too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top