U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 02:25 PM

21 posts, read 22,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
Born and raised in Idaho. I dont feel intruded on by outsiders coming in. Yes, you're mentality matters greatly. You can be a miserable and resentful old hag or have an optimistic outlook. Im still trying to figure out why "they want Juarez to move to this country". I enjoy a bit of diversity. I like new blood other than the good ol' boys around the way. I like that our local economy is on an upward trend. There's more money to be made and spent. It brings in new shopping, dining, entertainment and educational opportunities. Our farms probably couldn't survive without foreigners labor. Our businesses couldn't grow if not for fresh talent. The ones actually moving here tend to be a lot better educated than the youngsters coming up in Idaho. I, along with too many Idaho kids, was never taught the value of an education. The lab is growing immensely. Cry all day that taxes are on the rise but quality of life is also on the rise.

This is true, but only to a point.

I would think that in 2018 we would know more about creating and keeping sustainable economies, rather the grow-grow-grow-boom and bust cycles, or else simply dying and wasting away.

Obviously no one wants to live in a moribund, dying economy, but there is a point at which growth is too much, too fast, and it spoils everything, turning into yet another example of have and have not.

It really has nothing to do with politics or ideology. There are right wing crapholes and there are left wing crapholes. And there is left wing policy which creates crapholes, and there are right wing policies that do the same.

The problem is simply: growth and population. The more people you have, the more you have to regulate, create laws, enforce laws, litigate, prosecute, raise taxes to meet service demands, create social welfare programs and safety nets. etc., things too often conflated with left wing policy.

These things are typically what people are fleeing somewhere from. They move to smaller, less populated places and think its all about the political ideology of a place. But they are just part of a trend of migration which fundamentally changes an area, with or without their direct input, and makes it necessary to increase regulations, taxes, etc.

The proof is that it has happened in virtually every other growing city in the US. It has nothing to do with liberal or conservative - it has everything to do with surpassing a threshold number of people in a place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 06:06 PM

4,228 posts, read 3,495,889 times
Of course there is such thing as policies. Compare Texas to California for example. Or Idaho to Connecticut.

Numbers bear out which policies produce results that appeal to more people or makes them run away from.

“Progressive” (which in their true self are regressive) policies in due course ruin a place, large or small.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:10 PM

4,228 posts, read 3,495,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.InAmmon View Post
For everyone who wants more from life than FOX news at the local diner, and likes to expand their world through multi-cultural experiences and to enjoy things like music, arts, dance, dining, etc. For everyone else, life beyond the trailer park rec. room is probably too much to handle.
Then why are people leaving CA? In CA they can expand their world through multi-cultural experiences and to enjoy things like music, arts, dance, dining, etc.

Then, why are they not staying in CA or NY or CT?

Native born are leaving. If it wasnt for the immigrants moving in, these states’ population numbers would look ugly.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:55 PM

26 posts, read 23,082 times
As one who was born, raised and lived most of my life in California, I have watched it go from a great place to live to an unrecognizable pit of misery. Dilly Dilly!! We are moving to the IF area in 2019 and the last thing we want is to bring California's BS with us. Fortunately on our trips up there we have met incredibly wonderful people who don't judge us based on where we're coming from, but on who we are. I've known since I lived in Boise briefly in 2004-5 that we'd retire to Idaho.

So when you briefly see our CA license plates, don't be mad, just stop by for a beer.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:10 AM

35 posts, read 30,184 times
I was also born, raised and have spent my whole life in Northern California. During the 60s, 70s and 80s California was once truly a great place to live. Over the last 20 years I to have watched this state turn into a real cesspool. Being a white male, tax paying law abiding citizen I feel every day that my freedoms and liberties are under relentless attack by the lawless state government that has decimated this state. I and my wife are both retired and have decided it time to move on. We want to stay somewhat close to Ca. since father is still here. We are both avid hikers and love the outdoors and enjoy the mountains. We enjoy camping, fly fishing and backpacking. We have spent some time in the CDA area and really like it there and have even been looking at homes in CDA but have recently decided the winters in CDA may be a little to cold for us. As of recently I have been looking in other parts of Idaho for an area with a little milder climate. We are fine with hot summers. Ideally we would like to be in a rural area maybe 10-20 miles from a larger town where we can have a large home with a couple of acres of land. I have just started looking in the Bosie area. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. And trust me, we will be leaving the California BS behind.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:11 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,269,400 times
^ Boise area isn’t any warmer in the winter.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:02 AM

I have been tracking the weather in both CDA and Boise all winter. From what I have seen Boise is several degrees warmer then CDA on the average with a much less snow fall.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:18 AM

4,754 posts, read 16,562,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnHiker55 View Post
I have been tracking the weather in both CDA and Boise all winter. From what I have seen Boise is several degrees warmer then CDA on the average with a much less snow fall.
Have you considered south central Idaho, like Twin Falls area?

Old 04-21-2018, 11:07 AM

I have not looked at Twin Falls. I have been though Twin falls but don't really know that much about the place.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:15 AM

213 posts, read 175,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnHiker55 View Post
I was also born, raised and have spent my whole life in Northern California. During the 60s, 70s and 80s California was once truly a great place to live. Over the last 20 years I to have watched this state turn into a real cesspool. Being a white male, tax paying law abiding citizen I feel every day that my freedoms and liberties are under relentless attack by the lawless state government that has decimated this state. I and my wife are both retired and have decided it time to move on. We want to stay somewhat close to Ca. since father is still here. We are both avid hikers and love the outdoors and enjoy the mountains. We enjoy camping, fly fishing and backpacking. We have spent some time in the CDA area and really like it there and have even been looking at homes in CDA but have recently decided the winters in CDA may be a little to cold for us. As of recently I have been looking in other parts of Idaho for an area with a little milder climate. We are fine with hot summers. Ideally we would like to be in a rural area maybe 10-20 miles from a larger town where we can have a large home with a couple of acres of land. I have just started looking in the Bosie area. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. And trust me, we will be leaving the California BS behind.
True that. I was also born, raised and spent all my life in Northern CA. It's not the same. Back then as a kid, we walked down a road, carrying a pellet gun, .22 rifle or even a shotgun to go shooting or hunting and the CHP would wave as they drove past. People lived in the country because they wanted to shoot guns, ride motorcycles, cut firewood with chainsaws, ride horses up to the irrigation ditch and just enjoy living without so many restrictions and more freedoms. Now, it's hard to find a place further out in the country where somebody from the city hasn't moved to and who complains about guns, motorcycles, atv's, horses, chainsaws, etc.

Yes, a lot of Californians who've moved out of state are seeking to turn their new states into a mini California with lots of restrictions, laws, HOA's, CCR's, etc. But there are also a lot of us who want to move out of California because it's no longer the California we grew up in. Most of California is more rural (relatively speaking) but the larger cities (Bay area, LA, Silicon Valley, etc.) outnumber us and also are able to outvote us. So laws that may have some purpose in one of those large urban areas are now enforced statewide where those laws often don't make much sense and are not a good fit.

For a lot of us, we realize that the California we grew up in isn't going to come back. Most of the movements to split California (State of Jefferson, 2 Californias and however many states that software guy wants to split us into this week) aren't going to happen because the votes are mostly in those large urban areas and they will vote these plans down every time. So our choice becomes stay and put up with it or move to another state that's hopefully rural like we used to be and will stay that way for a long time. Some younger people will move their families while they're still younger and try to make a go of it. And a lot of us will move after we're retired and hopefully find that forever home that's still rural and isn't changing for the worse. For a lot of us, the only thing we want to change when moving to Idaho (or some other more rural state) are our license plates and zip codes. And hope like heck that our new state doesn't change for the worse like California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls