U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 05:27 AM

35 posts, read 30,224 times

Advertisements

Well said CAHntr. Growing up in the East Bay I remember my Father as well as others having a shotgun hanging in a rack in the back window of there pick up trucks. Now law abiding California citizens have to have a license and go though a back ground check just to buy a box of 22s at there local Walmart store. It is unacceptable for law abiding,tax paying citizens to be punished by this tyrannical California Government when at the same time this same government in
defiance of federal law rolls out the red carpet for the thousands of illegals poring across our southern border. And your right the entire state is controlled by the Bay Area, LA, and San Diego. The remaining residents of the state no longer really have a say in anything. It will not be long till this lawless government in Ca. will make it a crime to own that pellet gun you mentioned.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 08:38 AM

4,755 posts, read 16,564,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnHiker55 View Post
I have not looked at Twin Falls. I have been though Twin falls but don't really know that much about the place.
You might want to check out the weather data. It may or may not be what you're after. It goes without saying that what brings the beauty to Idaho is the fact tat she has four distinct seasons

Old 04-22-2018, 04:16 PM

5,594 posts, read 5,605,143 times
[mod note] Just a friendly reminder to not wander too far "off topic". It gives a measure of relief to express frustration and to bash what California has become, and I too "escaped" when I retired, for those same reasons as you enumerate. But this thread is not the place to articulate our opinions of what the Golden State has evolved into. Thank you. [/mod cut]

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-23-2018, 11:29 PM

7,635 posts, read 5,328,855 times
High rents are both good and bad. Good, as it generally means the economy is doing well, and there are not enough apartments to maintain stable rents. Bad, as it prices many out of the market.

But, back to good, it encourages new construction. Growth.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:02 PM

25,718 posts, read 17,150,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
High rents are both good and bad. Good, as it generally means the economy is doing well, and there are not enough apartments to maintain stable rents. Bad, as it prices many out of the market.

But, back to good, it encourages new construction. Growth.
Yup. Whenever I go out into the county, I'm always amazed at the new construction now. The latest construction I noticed were all multi-unit dwellings- apartment houses and possible town homes.

I like that idea quite a lot. More of them will keep down the sprawl, but I'm sure the primary reason why they're being built now is because they may be the wave of the future.

The younger generations that followed the boomers don't want the same housing the boomers and the older generations wanted. Home ownership, with all its expense, is not aspirational to them. They want a home that is smaller, easier to take care of, and one that won't tie them down if they decide to move.

Many of them don't believe they will ever be able to afford a McMansion either, so instead of aiming for a goal they see cannot be achieved, they save their money to buy things other than a house.

For contractors, apartments make far more profit than houses now, with far less risk. I'm sure we will see many, many more rising in this decade.

The McMansion craze began due to the profit margin. Building a large fancy home isn't that much more expensive for the contractors, but the McMansions sure put the U.S. into a bucket of trouble when it cause the Great Recession. The kids felt the sting of that the most, so that's part of the reason they don't want that burden now.

Tiny homes may become an alternate way of building profitable housing if they are well planned as an addition. The Millennials like to hang out in groups, and I can see how they would like living in a tiny house, if there was a big community gathering space in the middle of a subdivision. It works for townhouses, so I'm sure it would for tiny houses.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:48 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,365,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
For who?
Exactly... quantify that. QOL is a perception. If radical change is not your idea of good then it isn't good for you. If you long for the swing to the left just move. don't spread it to where it isn't a desired ideal.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:57 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,365,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojurick View Post
As one who was born, raised and lived most of my life in California, I have watched it go from a great place to live to an unrecognizable pit of misery. Dilly Dilly!! We are moving to the IF area in 2019 and the last thing we want is to bring California's BS with us. Fortunately on our trips up there we have met incredibly wonderful people who don't judge us based on where we're coming from, but on who we are. I've known since I lived in Boise briefly in 2004-5 that we'd retire to Idaho.

So when you briefly see our CA license plates, don't be mad, just stop by for a beer.
Man I hear ya. In the preliminary stages of planing pre-retirement.

I don't want to end up in a town that will turn into what I left in Portland. The Californication is nearly complete in the town of my birth. This thread startled me. I never thought that Idaho would be attractive to large amounts of people that did not understand (or plan to live within) the general flavor of the region. Minimal state interference in your day to day life and a pride in self reliance, this what I draw from the "inter mountain" region.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:22 PM

605 posts, read 748,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
In California, everyone is planning to flee to Idaho and Colorado.
Dang it, I was thinking about taking a job at INL. I'm a Colorado native who wouldn't go back to Colorado because of all the accursed Californians and if I go to Idaho I'll have to deal with them again?

Old 06-07-2018, 10:54 AM

4,755 posts, read 16,564,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
Dang it, I was thinking about taking a job at INL. I'm a Colorado native who wouldn't go back to Colorado because of all the accursed Californians and if I go to Idaho I'll have to deal with them again?
Take a peak at this thread, doesn't seem you would be living in the area the flock to most
Where are Californians moving?

Old 06-07-2018, 11:15 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,889,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
Come hide out with me here in the Rust Belt The hipsters and California exiles definitely do not find it a trendy area and the clouds and snow scare them off, lol. I love it here!

It is kind of mixed what happened with Colorado. It's good that there was growth but it got out of hand with the gentrification. I know several people from there who moved out and said it was because stuff just got too spendy and crowded. Seems like kind of a shame since it sounds like it's a beautiful state.

A lot of areas in Idaho seem to be blowing up as well. I'm on the job hunt and have had recruiters calling me about opportunities in Idaho. Pretty much all of the Mountain West is seeing growth/migration from other areas of the country. I promise though I won't be one of them and will stay put here

If you really want to move to Idaho, then go for it. Californians aren't bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls