U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:24 PM

4,929 posts, read 16,937,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
As someone who may be moving to Idaho Falls with my job, I wanted to ask how the locals view the growth. Obviously the area is growing, most places worth living in the West are. But would you describe the growth as overwhelming? I know increased traffic is an issue. A big part of that seems to be people from the entire area coming to one single area to work and do things. But has the growth impacted the city in other negative ways?

I used to lived in a Western metro where it was so bad. People were constantly moving there without jobs which led to increased poverty and homelessness, which led to more crime. At my job, we would sometimes get 50 applications a day, and we weren't even hiring. Prices skyrocketed and you could not even find a place to rent. Schools could not support the number of incoming students.

Since growth always brings good and bad, I just though I'd get some insight on your city's growth.
I'm not too thrilled personally with the increased crime rate
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 10:51 AM

398 posts, read 431,318 times
Idaho Falls has maintained a constant 3% growth rate over the last 10 or so years and has been fairly well managed thus far. Our unemployment rate has been one of the lowest over the last few years but there hasn't been mass in-migration due to speculative job growth. (Did that make sense?)

The worst problems I have seen so far are of course the increased traffic, which will always be a problem with growth. The best way to manage this, in my opinion is to keep any and all new commercial buildings off of Sunnyside Road. The last thing we need is a ton of red lights installed like 17th Street making it another aggrevating place to drive. 17th Street is the epitome of bad growth management. Hitt Road is getting that way as well and will probably look like 17th within 20 years as it is a main county road with high traffic volumes. The best idea I can think of is to keep 17th and Hitt as "Commercial Roads" and leave Sunnyside, Ammon, and Iona Road as sparsely populated with commercial growth as humanly possible. In a sense keep the entrances to residential, commercial, and industrial off of the main road. It may not be a classic belt loop but by widening Iona and Ammon Roads to 4 Lanes with a turning lane, it should suffice for quite a few years as a belt loop of sorts. At this point a belt loop through the Bonneville county subdivisions would be too expensive and involve too many years to come to fruition.

I have lived in Idaho Falls my whole life and am exited to see the growth, new options for education, higher paying jobs, better places to shop and eat and new recreational options. There will be a boom coming soon for the area, a new wave of growth if you will, and the 3% growth rate may rise to 5 or 6% for four or five years, then back to it's normal 3%. It will be interesting to see how cities, towns, and counties manage this growth and continue to beautify and not let sprawl get out of hand. (Here's to hoping!)

I do however expect the downtown area to continue to redevelop and beautify, good things that would probably not happen if not for the growth combined with the designation of Urban Renewal Areas.

Here's to positive growth!!!

Old 04-01-2009, 12:07 AM

8,440 posts, read 12,256,567 times
Talking Welcome Friend of Mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
Idaho Falls has maintained a constant 3% growth rate over the last 10 or so years and has been fairly well managed thus far. Our unemployment rate has been one of the lowest over the last few years but there hasn't been mass in-migration due to speculative job growth. (Did that make sense?)

The worst problems I have seen so far are of course the increased traffic, which will always be a problem with growth. The best way to manage this, in my opinion is to keep any and all new commercial buildings off of Sunnyside Road. The last thing we need is a ton of red lights installed like 17th Street making it another aggrevating place to drive. 17th Street is the epitome of bad growth management. Hitt Road is getting that way as well and will probably look like 17th within 20 years as it is a main county road with high traffic volumes. The best idea I can think of is to keep 17th and Hitt as "Commercial Roads" and leave Sunnyside, Ammon, and Iona Road as sparsely populated with commercial growth as humanly possible. In a sense keep the entrances to residential, commercial, and industrial off of the main road. It may not be a classic belt loop but by widening Iona and Ammon Roads to 4 Lanes with a turning lane, it should suffice for quite a few years as a belt loop of sorts. At this point a belt loop through the Bonneville county subdivisions would be too expensive and involve too many years to come to fruition.

I have lived in Idaho Falls my whole life and am exited to see the growth, new options for education, higher paying jobs, better places to shop and eat and new recreational options. There will be a boom coming soon for the area, a new wave of growth if you will, and the 3% growth rate may rise to 5 or 6% for four or five years, then back to it's normal 3%. It will be interesting to see how cities, towns, and counties manage this growth and continue to beautify and not let sprawl get out of hand. (Here's to hoping!)

I do however expect the downtown area to continue to redevelop and beautify, good things that would probably not happen if not for the growth combined with the designation of Urban Renewal Areas.

Here's to positive growth!!!
Welcome IFGuy. I think I invited you to this forum about 1.75 yrs ago. Glad to see your post.

Maybe we can talk about some other things here too. It looks like some are being optomistic opening some small, but new businesses in the area.

Later-

MSR -----

P.S. send me a PM either here or on the other board to get caught up.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:26 AM

398 posts, read 431,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokykid View Post
I have to appologize for my ammusement. I think that it's great you're so excited that your small town, like mine, that can't do much but get bigger, is getting bigger faster than the other one! That's like comparing the 2 petree dishes containing samples from the neverland ranch, and getting excited one has more std's than the other. I belive that the biggest problem in this state, is that sence of one upping the next guy. Idaho sucks, it has pretty mountains, but that's it. Idaho Falls sucks. Pocatello sucks, both mayors are inbred. That's about it.
Very funny and yet bold statements.

My argument isn't about Idaho Falls one-upping Poky at all. Idaho Falls has taken the reigns to become the regional center for East Idaho and has been growing faster than Poky since then, probably will continue that way.

Personally, I would like to see the mayors of IF, Poky, Blackfoot, Rexburg, Ammon, and Chubbuck get together on a quarterly basis to discuss problems with a range of issues, work together on how to create higher paying tech jobs and where those might be located, a way to help bring the higher education on the this side of the state better programs, such as a doctors program to ISU, and to find a way to fix K-12. If city and county leaders work together here maybe the state can learn to as well.

I am pleased that Poky has brought Hoku and the windmill operation (name is not coming to me) because without Poky thriving East Idaho doesn't thrive either.

Idaho is a beautiful state like you say and that is what is attracting out of staters but we may want to get our heads working to stay ahead of the growth otherwise we will have bigger problems down the line.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:33 AM

8,440 posts, read 12,256,567 times
Talking Some Good Ideas, I.F.Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
Very funny and yet bold statements.

My argument isn't about Idaho Falls one-upping Poky at all. Idaho Falls has taken the reigns to become the regional center for East Idaho and has been growing faster than Poky since then, probably will continue that way.

Personally, I would like to see the mayors of IF, Poky, Blackfoot, Rexburg, Ammon, and Chubbuck get together on a quarterly basis to discuss problems with a range of issues, work together on how to create higher paying tech jobs and where those might be located, a way to help bring the higher education on the this side of the state better programs, such as a doctors program to ISU, and to find a way to fix K-12. If city and county leaders work together here maybe the state can learn to as well.

I am pleased that Poky has brought Hoku and the windmill operation (name is not coming to me) because without Poky thriving East Idaho doesn't thrive either.

Idaho is a beautiful state like you say and that is what is attracting out of staters but we may want to get our heads working to stay ahead of the growth otherwise we will have bigger problems down the line.
IFGuy,

Nice response. Your experience in dealing with all types of people shows.

I agree with a lot of what you wrote. Idaho Falls, with the help of Grow Idaho Falls and to some degree, BYU-Idaho, has become a regional center for many things faster than Poky. I know you and I don't post that information to one-up, as you rightly say, rather to be factual about what is available where.

The airport is a great example: Idaho Falls has 5 airlines, well I guess technically that is now 4 since Delta/Northwest have become the largest airline by merging. Nonetheless, each of those two airlines had different points flying from Idaho Falls Regional Airport. INL, spinoffs and BYU-I have been 3 of the strongest factors of why more air transportation is needed and available via Idaho Falls.

That being said, the article in the PR last week about a regional transporation system- essentially all of eastern ID to Bozeman, MT would necessitate all municipalities and mayors working together. So I like your idea above about the regional mayors meeting. I'd be fascinated to hear their news conferences after the fact as one mayor always seems to interpret things a little differently than the others, in the articles I've read.

If you saw a different post I put elsewhere, one has to ask why is Warren Buffett traveling to Idaho Falls in his private jet? Pleasure/business or a combination? I don't care why he is - I'd rather having him use facilities in ID than in Bozeman or Jackson Hole etc. If he knows what facilities are available at Aero-Mark/Idaho Falls Regional Airport, others similar to him do as well (or their pilots).

Hoku, Areva, hopefully Interntionally Isotopes and other companies who headquarter or have regional divisions in eastern ID only increase how many times ID is mentioned nationally for the various opportunities.

It's an exciting time, if one will let it be, as I honestly believe certain aspects of our economy will be redefined. I still agree with you IFGuy and the idea you originally talked to me about when we first "talked," online: eastern ID as a energy corrider.

The way I see it, is every city better be ready for growth, regardless of which city is the largest. Like TwinPrism, you and others have pointed out, we don't want eastern ID to become like Canyon County. I'm not saying I know all the factors, because I don't. However, I don't think it takes a genuis to realize the mayors of Caldwell, Nampa, Meridian (or did Meridian even have a Mayor when Boise started to overflow?) etc. weren't meeting regularly together or potentially with Ada County officials to plan for the next stage.

Let's learn from those mistakes so we don't see the same thing happening in eastern ID. I know we still won't have the capitol or certain other things that will only be found in Boise; however, we have the Tetons, Caribou Natl Forest etc. that aren't on the western side of Idaho.

College courses and degrees in city planning were added for a reason. Maybe the real discussion should be at what size of population should an area have a "city/town planner?" What do you think?

I'd rather spend my time in a state that was still growing than one that was losing population and jobs because people couldn't stand living there any longer.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 04-11-2009 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls