U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 06:34 AM

8,440 posts, read 12,242,540 times

Advertisements

Most people should not be surprised to see Boise be the 13th fastest growing metro in the U.S. However, what many people don't necessarily know, is in the new census numbers released last week, Idaho Falls (Bonneville County) is the 15th fastest growing metro.

Also mentioned were the facts that Twin Falls grew quite well for a micro area, as did Driggs/Teton, ID (part of the Jackson, WY Microarea). In the north, Coeur d'Alene, as part of the Spokane Metro, continues to grow as well.

Boise, Idaho Falls and Coeur d'Alene all were in the top 30 metros in the censurs report from last week.

Bonneville County has over 96K residents. At the rate of growth, it should be close to 100,000 K in next year's census.

And if you think it already seems more crowded in the cities I mentioned, remember, this was the U.S. Census Bureau estimating population on 07/01/07. So we're 9/12 of the way to another measuring day - 07/01/08.

Just because people often ask about Idaho Falls and Pocatello in their questions, it should be noted the Idaho Falls metro added over 2,200 people last year. Pocatello, added under 500 people. Mayor Chase, in Pocatello, claims the numbers make Pocatello look smaller because Power County is included. HUH? Mayor, please declare whether you are talking about a MSA, CSa or county population. The census was printed, at least the way I saw it, based on direct county population.

There are about 16K more people in Bonneville County (Idaho Falls), than Bannock County (Pocatello). Then, when one adds in the MSA and CSA, the numbers really do start to change by 20-30,000+ additionally residents in the Idaho Falls MSA.

Pocatello's Mayor Chase also implied, in a KIDK broadcast/article (KIDK CBS 3 - News, Weather and Sports - Idaho Falls - Pocatello - Blackfoot, ID - Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Blackfoot - Idaho) that those who take the census don't know how to do so and appropriately include Idaho State University in Pocatello. He had to challenge their findings a few years back and thinks he'll have to challenge them again.

I found it interesting that the labor department supported the census numbers and where there was and wasn't growth.

Hmmm, I wonder if Moscow experiences the same amount of difficulty yearly when the U. of Idaho students are or are not during a census. Maybe those employees who seem to approximate Moscow so correctly each year should be assigned to Pocatello/Bannock County.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 09:42 AM

3,056 posts, read 5,937,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Most people should not be surprised to see Boise be the 13th fastest growing metro in the U.S. However, what many people don't necessarily know, is in the new census numbers released last week, Idaho Falls (Bonneville County) is the 15th fastest growing metro.

Also mentioned were the facts that Twin Falls grew quite well for a micro area, as did Driggs/Teton, ID (part of the Jackson, WY Microarea). In the north, Coeur d'Alene, as part of the Spokane Metro, continues to grow as well.

Boise, Idaho Falls and Coeur d'Alene all were in the top 30 metros in the censurs report from last week.

Bonneville County has over 96K residents. At the rate of growth, it should be close to 100,000 K in next year's census.

And if you think it already seems more crowded in the cities I mentioned, remember, this was the U.S. Census Bureau estimating population on 07/01/07. So we're 9/12 of the way to another measuring day - 07/01/08.

Just because people often ask about Idaho Falls and Pocatello in their questions, it should be noted the Idaho Falls metro added over 2,200 people last year. Pocatello, added under 500 people. Mayor Chase, in Pocatello, claims the numbers make Pocatello look smaller because Power County is included. HUH? Mayor, please declare whether you are talking about a MSA, CSa or county population. The census was printed, at least the way I saw it, based on direct county population.

There are about 16K more people in Bonneville County (Idaho Falls), than Bannock County (Pocatello). Then, when one adds in the MSA and CSA, the numbers really do start to change by 20-30,000+ additionally residents in the Idaho Falls MSA.

Pocatello's Mayor Chase also implied, in a KIDK broadcast/article (KIDK CBS 3 - News, Weather and Sports - Idaho Falls - Pocatello - Blackfoot, ID - Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Blackfoot - Idaho) that those who take the census don't know how to do so and appropriately include Idaho State University in Pocatello. He had to challenge their findings a few years back and thinks he'll have to challenge them again.

I found it interesting that the labor department supported the census numbers and where there was and wasn't growth.

Hmmm, I wonder if Moscow experiences the same amount of difficulty yearly when the U. of Idaho students are or are not during a census. Maybe those employees who seem to approximate Moscow so correctly each year should be assigned to Pocatello/Bannock County.

Challenges to the census are not uncommon. The State of utah has challenged the census because of the number of missionaries who are from the state and leave the state for their missions (I think this is silly too) and Provo has challenged to include people who attend BYU.
Maybe Rexburg will jump in on the action!

I think it is exciting that I.F. is growing so fast. Idaho has three main metros spread out over the state, Boise, I.F., and CD'A.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:14 AM

4,920 posts, read 16,920,597 times
I'm not so certain I share your excitement. I moved here due to the small town charm and appeal. Granted, that means my DH and I are a portion of the growth. It's simply I've seen the other side of growth and it's not pretty

Old 04-01-2008, 10:48 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,600,021 times
If an area does not grow it will eventually die. The problem is how the inevitable growth is handled. Areas where planning for the natural resources are taken into consideration can grow and produce a very positive aftermath. Then again, if growth means strip malls and wall-to-wall tract homes it certainly does not help anyone.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:58 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,502,305 times
Don't grow like Boise-Meridian-Nampa. That's never fun.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:09 AM

210 posts, read 892,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Don't grow like Boise-Meridian-Nampa. That's never fun.
Amen, My business is growing in Idaho Falls (which is great), but I don't like the traffic and getting around there, and the sprawl. I'm glad I now have a a contractor working for me there so I don't have to make the trip as often. The area out towards Lincoln and Iona is really ugly in my opinion with the sprawl. I do like the new seemingly more planned developments in IF by the river. I much prefer Pocatello's slower more managable growth, and don't really care if IF passed us Pocatello for 3rd biggest city in Idaho, Nampa already has and Meridian is on it's way too. (if it hasn't already)

In this case, bigger isn't necessarily better. I just hope Pocatello doesn't get discovered by all the recent attention. (outdoor life magazine ranking, etc., Forbes ranking for best places for small businesses)

Old 04-02-2008, 08:16 PM

879 posts, read 2,658,430 times
Boise, Nampa, Meridian are now the big three in Idaho.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:48 AM

4,920 posts, read 16,920,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinprism View Post
The area out towards Lincoln and Iona is really ugly in my opinion with the sprawl.
Couldn't have said it better myself. It's certainly not gong to help with that new school that's being built at Lincoln-Ammon

Old 04-05-2008, 01:04 AM

8,440 posts, read 12,242,540 times
Question Transportation Options.....

Rapid growth always leads to some areas not having nearly the infrastructure needed. TO its credit, I think Iona in particular and maybe Ucon have been planning a great deal more than Ammon.

Not trying to Ammon bash, just trying to say it like I see it.

Cleosmom, I think you and I have talked about some of the roundabouts and other intersections in the northeastern part of the greater Idaho Falls area.

To be honest, I really am not sure where Iona, Ammon, Ucon all start and stop as they seem to overlap, in some areas. That strip mall, essentially for builders or maybe for private individuals building their own buildings, will only make the traffic volumes higher.

Lots of us are asking why are we not planning NOW for that belt route in Idaho Falls. I've read several interesting ideas about it. Two major problems, besides Ammon's history of not paying their fair share (hope that will change as the city grows and a bigger City Council in Ammon want to become more independent etc). One of the proposals I saw isn't even an option now, given where development has started.

Secondly, as a friend pointed out to me, we should start planning and doing all we can NOW. But, the reality is the Treasure Valley is so congested any $ available for metro belt loops will go there first. So a better idea, at least for now - while continuing to plan, would be how to expand roads or use other transporation in Bonneville County.

Do you think if the bus service were expanded, more county residents would use it? It is kind of at that critical mass stage where they need the guarantee of more riders to get more busses and stops, the way I understand it. But, I may be wrong.

What do the rest of you think about the growing traffic problems in Bonneville County? How do we move the most people most efficiently?

BTW - I don't think it is by accident that the northeastern corrider, the exit from I-20, which connets Rigby/Rexburg and essentially Yellowstone National Park and Jackson Hole to Idaho Falls is growing. However, I do look for more growth elsewhere, but more industrial or high tech in nature, like the buildings already built close to CAES. That won't be residential growth, except a little around University Place.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:39 PM

161 posts, read 597,096 times
As someone who may be moving to Idaho Falls with my job, I wanted to ask how the locals view the growth. Obviously the area is growing, most places worth living in the West are. But would you describe the growth as overwhelming? I know increased traffic is an issue. A big part of that seems to be people from the entire area coming to one single area to work and do things. But has the growth impacted the city in other negative ways?

I used to lived in a Western metro where it was so bad. People were constantly moving there without jobs which led to increased poverty and homelessness, which led to more crime. At my job, we would sometimes get 50 applications a day, and we weren't even hiring. Prices skyrocketed and you could not even find a place to rent. Schools could not support the number of incoming students.

Since growth always brings good and bad, I just though I'd get some insight on your city's growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls