U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2020, 05:00 PM

10 posts, read 6,014 times

Advertisements

How is the typical house in Idaho Falls heated? What are the typical heating bills on a 2,000 square foot house, using propane, natural gas, Wood, or pellets? Just trying to figure out a budget for heating costs if we decide to buy a house there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 05:49 PM

423 posts, read 309,188 times
Most homes have natural gas. It's been a few years but If I remember correctly I think I paid roughly $50 a month. The condo I lived in last year was all electric and I paid around 150. We have some of the cheapest electrical rates in the nation. Just make sure you do not buy a home with an oil furnace. It's easy to spend 300 a month. I cannot speak for propane or wood pellets

Old 02-02-2020, 11:13 AM

25,717 posts, read 17,150,388 times
I leave the heat set at 69º in my 2000 sq.ft. home, and it runs about $100 a month in December through the end of February. I use natural gas and have an efficient gas furnace.
The natural gas here is cheap, so a few years ago, I installed a gas fireplace in the living room; the wood burning hearth leaked an enormous amount of heat, and the gas fireplace evens the heat and actually saves on the gas bill, as it cycles differently than the furnace. Both have auto thermostats.

My house is insulated about average for I.F.. It was built around 1960, so the walls don't have as much insulation as newer homes, but it's pretty tight so there isn't a lot of air leakage. I'm sure the newer wrapped homes are more airtight, and that really helps with heating.

I leave it set because my house is a split level. If I turn the heat down, only the main level warms back up effectively.

10 years ago, the heat was set at 67 or 68º, but I've grown older, and 69 is much more comfortable for me now.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:30 PM

10 posts, read 6,014 times
Default Cost to heat

I currently heat my home with natural gas and a pellet stove. My gas expense is about $146 a month in the winter and I supplement that with our pellet stove. Pellets cost me about $4.80 a bag and I use about 6 bags a month. So my total heating costs are around $175 a month. Are pellet stoves in use much in IF? If your gas expenses are $100 a month that is a savings for me in gas usage there. I live in a cold mountain environment now with snow but less cold temperatures than Idaho Falls has. I love my pellet stove and would want one in IF if I move there but would have difficulty getting the pellets if pellet stoves are a rarity there. Thanks for all the info.

Old 02-04-2020, 03:33 AM

25,717 posts, read 17,150,388 times
I really don't know if pellet stoves are popular here.
I don't know anyone who has one, and it's been quite a while since I last saw one.

Things may be different outside the city limits, but here in town, it seems most folks who once burned wood have converted their fireplaces to gas.

This may be due to a rate adjustment Intermountain Gas had to make a few years ago; the state found they were overcharging, so gas took a big dive in prices and it hasn't come back up yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: