U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2020, 01:21 AM

10 posts, read 6,014 times

Advertisements

I have lived among the forests with trees in abundance for many years but alas, we are considering a move to Idaho Falls where I notice there are not many trees. I like the area in the eastern part of the city where we could have a bit of acreage but there are honestly no trees. If I were to put in a bunch of trees like pines and colorful fall trees like maples, will they do well there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 02:19 PM

146 posts, read 116,341 times
Trees do very well here, including many varieties of pine and spruce (there is a spruce nursery nearby as well) and all kinds of deciduous trees, including many maples (I have several), as well as hundreds of other varieties.
Stop by Town & Country nursery and talk to their arborist about the many varieties that do well here.
Be aware that water is metered in this area now, so steer clear of landscaping that is thirsty in the summer.

Old 02-21-2020, 03:43 PM

25,717 posts, read 17,150,388 times
There are a lot of mature trees all over Idaho Falls! You must have only checked out the new housing, Kins... the new places haven't been around long enough for the trees to grow up yet.

Maples do especially well in Idaho Falls, but so does Ash, Linden, and some other deciduous hardwoods. Aspens are native, and birch grows readily here, but I think there's a birch disease that may be present here, as the birch don't seem to be doing as well as they've always done before.

All the pine varieties grow here, and quite a few are native. Cottonwoods are natives, as is a lot of shrubbery. A lot of flowering trees grow readily, as do apples, pears, apricot, and peach trees, although they all need winter protection of some kind to do their best.

Old 02-24-2020, 01:28 AM

10 posts, read 6,014 times
Good to hear! Thanks for this info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls