U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 08:16 PM

25,670 posts, read 17,130,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOnMadisonStreet View Post
@ banjomike: "What do you think it means?
People with firm political beliefs seldom change them. They hang onto them, and are ready to argue for them if need be.

That should already be very clear to anyone these days."

"Conservative" means different things to different people. It sounded like pnwguy2 didn't have a good experience of the people he thought of as conservatives. If you don't mind, I'd like to get a flavor of the conversations he had, and of the Idaho criteria for judging "conservative" or "liberal".

Around my neck of the woods, the only people who dare argue for their political point of view are on the left. Publicly vocal staunch conservatives, if that's what we're talking about, will be a new experience for me.
I'm sure conservative disagreement is just the same.

Here in Idaho, most folks don't talk politics with strangers very much. They prefer to argue with those they know over those they don't know.

But at the same time, I think that most folks wouldn't hesitate to give you their opinion if you asked them for it. I haven't noticed anyone being very shy about that, in general.

There is a pretty strong Libertarian streak that runs through both parties here. It doesn't tend to unify anyone, but it does make it a little easier to get along with each other on election years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 12:53 AM

30 posts, read 9,262 times
@ banjomike: Conservative disagreement doesn't include burning, looting and murdering. Maybe it should have, since we've just seen an election hi-jacked. Maybe there's still time.

I'd much rather spend my time hiking, fishing, riding my mountain bike and reading (but not while on my bike) than talking politics. Listening to banjo music is good, too. If I do get into a political discussion in Idaho, I'll remember that Libertarian streak.

Old 11-08-2020, 06:12 AM

3,579 posts, read 3,063,977 times
I'm more libertarian that tends to sway to conservative; mainly cause I love the USA, so I'll jump in.

I agree with Mike, there is no outright conservative vs. liberal attitude around here. Walking around and driving around I can count the number of Biden signs on one hand using one finger (index will do), the number of Trump signs on two hands.

With people I know and have known for five-six years, we very seldom, if ever, talk politics. The political politics are usually about the two local moron mayors in Poky and Chubbuck (do I dare call it Chubby?) nd naturally the rising property taxes.

Is this area going to vote red; YES. No doubt about it. For how long; probably till long after I am ashes blowing in the wind.

But there is no big show of what people's political beliefs are. Especially, compared to states I used to live in like TN or MI.

Only big show of conservatism here is religion. The LDS is strong, and yes before the Wuhan virus, four times a year I would have a couple LDS dudes in suits appear at the front porch just long enough for me to tell them to leave and never to return...they didn't others did.

But it was not only LDS, all others seem to head off to church on Sunday AM thus, making a shopping trip at 9 AM fantastic because the stores were almost vacant. (Not true now!).

As for rioting; I sure hope the conservatives don't start with the rioting; even in a few states where I have to wonder about the election results. And is there still time, in one of those states, I would say there is time to get to a recount but won't help the presidency but might help with a fantastic person who lost the senate race by a very small amount. But, anything more said will make this a political statement, so I'll stop there.

I'm like you, I much prefer being with my dogs hiking or even just walking in the neighborhood than talk politics. (I will note, I do talk a lot of politics when walking the dogs with long known friends I used to work with or live near in states like MI, ,TN, NC, NY, UT; and many times at 4AM (mountain time) since those in NC are up drinking coffee at 6Am (eastern time); I just don't do it with people around here. (Just ask Mike, we have never discussed politics when talking.)

So if you want hiking this is a great place and there are local places to hike and easy drive to many more, fishing I hear is great (I do mine at Fred Meyer) and I can confirm you can read if you want I do it all the time.

It's a nice place to live, overall people tend to keep to themselves more so than any place I have ever lived.

Old 11-08-2020, 12:14 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,101,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I'm more libertarian that tends to sway to conservative; mainly cause I love the USA, so I'll jump in.

I agree with Mike, there is no outright conservative vs. liberal attitude around here. Walking around and driving around I can count the number of Biden signs on one hand using one finger (index will do), the number of Trump signs on two hands.

With people I know and have known for five-six years, we very seldom, if ever, talk politics. The political politics are usually about the two local moron mayors in Poky and Chubbuck (do I dare call it Chubby?) nd naturally the rising property taxes.

Is this area going to vote red; YES. No doubt about it. For how long; probably till long after I am ashes blowing in the wind.

But there is no big show of what people's political beliefs are. Especially, compared to states I used to live in like TN or MI.

Only big show of conservatism here is religion. The LDS is strong, and yes before the Wuhan virus, four times a year I would have a couple LDS dudes in suits appear at the front porch just long enough for me to tell them to leave and never to return...they didn't others did.

But it was not only LDS, all others seem to head off to church on Sunday AM thus, making a shopping trip at 9 AM fantastic because the stores were almost vacant. (Not true now!).

As for rioting; I sure hope the conservatives don't start with the rioting; even in a few states where I have to wonder about the election results. And is there still time, in one of those states, I would say there is time to get to a recount but won't help the presidency but might help with a fantastic person who lost the senate race by a very small amount. But, anything more said will make this a political statement, so I'll stop there.

I'm like you, I much prefer being with my dogs hiking or even just walking in the neighborhood than talk politics. (I will note, I do talk a lot of politics when walking the dogs with long known friends I used to work with or live near in states like MI, ,TN, NC, NY, UT; and many times at 4AM (mountain time) since those in NC are up drinking coffee at 6Am (eastern time); I just don't do it with people around here. (Just ask Mike, we have never discussed politics when talking.)

So if you want hiking this is a great place and there are local places to hike and easy drive to many more, fishing I hear is great (I do mine at Fred Meyer) and I can confirm you can read if you want I do it all the time.

It's a nice place to live, overall people tend to keep to themselves more so than any place I have ever lived.
Chubet.

Old 11-08-2020, 08:09 PM

@f5fstop: Thanks for filling out the picture for me. Less politics will suit me fine.

About those persistent LDS guys: I spent many years living in an all black neighborhood - as in literally the only White to be seen on the street - here in my multi-million population mega-city home town. But sure enough, couple times a year, a pair of Mormons on bikes would cruise through, sometimes even stopping to talk to people. With their short sleeved white shirts and black ties, they looked like they'd just stepped out of a '50s tv show. One of the strangest sights I've ever seen.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:43 AM

As for the LDS guys; I had them in TN when I lived there, but they were more infatuated with my Corvette and Wrangler, and how come I had more security cameras and lights around the house then the rest of the neighborhood combined. And living in Moab, a lot of visits there too.

But to be fair, the first church group that visited me here in Chubby was the Jehovah’s Witnesses. Friendly, but, like I tell them, their belief of no blood transfusions would have caused my death at least twice, so why would I take a chance now? Then they go away....

Poky hiking trails:
https://www.alltrails.com/us/idaho/pocatello

https://www.traillink.com/trail-maps/portneuf-greenway/

https://pocatello.us/348/City-Creek-Trail-System

More for walking but also a 7 acre stocked pond

The Portneuf Wellness Trust works with others in this area to create some great walking trails (also runs the largest hospital in the area Portneuf medical center. These trails along with the Forest service (and somewhat the BLM....that's Bureau of Land Management; not the other ) create and maintain some great hiking and (not from experience) dirt bike trails.

I moved here from Moab UT; well know for the number of extreme hiking trails, very extreme mountain biking trails and the town itself had a great trail right through the center of town; west to east) and have to say this place is just as good (just no where near the off-road vehicle trails that are found around Moab).

Old 11-13-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
As for the LDS guys; I had them in TN when I lived there, but they were more infatuated with my Corvette and Wrangler, and how come I had more security cameras and lights around the house then the rest of the neighborhood combined. And living in Moab, a lot of visits there too.

But to be fair, the first church group that visited me here in Chubby was the Jehovah’s Witnesses. Friendly, but, like I tell them, their belief of no blood transfusions would have caused my death at least twice, so why would I take a chance now? Then they go away....

Poky hiking trails:
https://www.alltrails.com/us/idaho/pocatello

https://www.traillink.com/trail-maps/portneuf-greenway/

More for walking but also a 7 acre stocked pond

The Portneuf Wellness Trust works with others in this area to create some great walking trails (also runs the largest hospital in the area Portneuf medical center. These trails along with the Forest service (and somewhat the BLM....that's Bureau of Land Management; not the other ) create and maintain some great hiking and (not from experience) dirt bike trails.

I moved here from Moab UT; well know for the number of extreme hiking trails, very extreme mountain biking trails and the town itself had a great trail right through the center of town; west to east) and have to say this place is just as good (just no where near the off-road vehicle trails that are found around Moab).
Hey thanks, f5fstop, those sure are some beautiful trails! I'm wondering - do people ever use the hiking trails for mountain biking, and bike trails for hiking?

Old 11-14-2020, 05:46 AM

I'm going to guess no. I have walked a few with my dogs and have seen bikes, including mountain bikes but people are just riding them; however, they are not anything like the mountain bike trails I am used to seeing in places like Moab. However, there are many around here I have heard. However, when walking the dogs, I prefer to stay off an actual mountain bike trail for safety reasons.

But if you move to Poky or Chubby, you will have more trails within a few hours drive than you could wish for. And Poky has some good orthopedic Doctors...just in case.

Old 11-15-2020, 12:35 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,101,016 times
Sounds like Pokey has all the amenities one could ever want and need. Live a few miles out and away in the less crowded city.

Old 11-15-2020, 06:31 AM

Could use some more stores and even the stores they have tend to not have a great inventory of items. But, there is still Amazon and Walmart online is not bad and getting better.

Too many days a person feels like they are living in a wind tunnel. And weather forecasting is about as accurate as Stevie Wonder hitting bullseyes with a handgun.

More rednecks than my experience with living in TN for seven years. But like most rednecks they tend to be friendly and harmless (unless driving).

However, for me, overall it has been a good place to live. When I took my retirement and decided to move from UT, it came down to TN or ID. TN summers were way too humid for me, and the mountains in TN are really just hills, So I chose a place with low humidty and high mountains with plenty of campgrounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls