Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,916 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Pocatello in July/August. We have a son going into the 10th grade. From what I understand, it doesn't matter where you live - if there isn't room at your district school, your child will be placed wherever they choose. My son wants to do a dual credit deal and our school of choice is Century High School. There's a HUGE difference between there and Pocatello High school, where I think my son would be miserable, after reading the horrible ratings and comments. Being that we don't live there, I don't know really what's true. Can someone educate me on the high school situation. The high school situation is a huge motivating factor in choosing Pocatello.

Second, are there parts of town to avoid buying a house? How about Chubbuck or other close outlying areas?

What is it like for people who aren't LDS. I've read a few threads where people found it hard to make friends and find work if you aren't affiliated with the LDS church. Is that true?

Last - my husband will be bringing his construction/handyman business there - is there a decent need for handyman services?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 06:50 PM

434 posts, read 416,692 times
I would say Pocatello all around is a safe bet if it has to be Pocatello. There really isnt anywhere I would avoid as in bad neighborhoods. I cant speak to the schools, as I came up in the Idaho Falls school system. Except I heard that Chubbuck/Highland HS are more "snobby" but not necessarily in a class kinda way but maybe religious. Mormons make great neighbors and friends. Some will not associate with outsiders generally speaking while most are pretty friendly. I would avoid less populated towns where the religious segregation is more evident. Last, there is a huge need for handyman services here. Most guys I know are swamped with work

Old 06-07-2020, 12:12 PM

812 posts, read 736,259 times
My wife and I moved to Poky in September of 2017.we don't have kids, so unfortunately I can't help you much with your schooling questions. As for the rest:

Pocatello is very safe overall. There is some property crime, but very little in the way of violent crime. Personally, I would not buy in Old Town, because those lots tend to be small and the houses very close together. I wouldn't buy in the University area due to the annoyance of increased traffic. I have never felt unsafe in either of those areas, or anywhere else in town.

We are not LDS and have had no issues. We have made quite a few friends, mostly through my wife's work. A few sessions f them are LDS, and they are nice people. I think LDS has this reputation for trying to be overly pushy, that may be the case elsewhere, but we have not experienced it here.

I think handyman and construction type work is in demand here, and most places. I don't think he would have many problems, though I am not in that field.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:17 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Non LDS moved to Pocatello in 2006. No issues. You will find most in Poky and IF are accepting of non LDS. It just isn’t an issue. However you probably will have a hard time getting into their click. But that is ok. They will still treat you well. Btw I lived in both Poky and IF in my 8 years there. Poky is perhaps more tolerant of outsiders and a bit more quirky but IF is still very friendly despite your religion or lack of.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:14 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
NO KIDS. Moved to Chubbuck in 2014, no crime to speak of. I believe in my neighborhood the only bad thing that has happened here in the past five years is someone stole a few tailgates from Ford PU trucks (three years ago). Never heard anything bad for Poky except for the drunks in the Old Town area near the dog park I used to go to but that was never really any problem.

As for Mormons. I had one "known" Mormon neighbor who identified himself as a "Jack" Mormon in between his beers (one reason why his parents had nothing to do with him I guess). I say had cause he is dead. Other than that, I know of no other Mormons in my direct neighborhood. I'm sure they are here, just don't know any.

Yes, they do come around on occasion, but they sure don't hang around. in fact the first visitors Ii had were Jehovah Witnesses.

I moved here from UT so I had no worry about Mormons, but I do believe many people worry too much about them. They are not bad people. In fact, in UT they made great neighbors. I guess they do here too, just not sure where they are.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,742 times
Default Hey PNWGuy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Non LDS moved to Pocatello in 2006. No issues. You will find most in Poky and IF are accepting of non LDS. It just isn’t an issue. However you probably will have a hard time getting into their click. But that is ok. They will still treat you well. Btw I lived in both Poky and IF in my 8 years there. Poky is perhaps more tolerant of outsiders and a bit more quirky but IF is still very friendly despite your religion or lack of.
Why did you move back to WA? We are getting ready to head to Idaho from Walla Walla. Did you leave Poky because you didn’t like it?

Old 06-14-2020, 12:40 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanaLaine View Post
Why did you move back to WA? We are getting ready to head to Idaho from Walla Walla. Did you leave Poky because you didn’t like it?
No not really. More just a desire to get back to my native state. Idaho is fine but Washington is where my roots are. I don’t miss the stubborn conservative voice there however. But Pocatello is more independent than Idaho falls imo.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 06-14-2020 at 12:49 AM..

Old 11-06-2020, 11:56 PM

524 posts, read 152,247 times
Default Hey PNW guy

Been considering moving to somewhere in Idaho Wyoming or Montana. Poky has recently caught my eye. Would you mind expanding a bit on the "stubborn conservative voice" there?

Old 11-07-2020, 03:56 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOnMadisonStreet View Post
Been considering moving to somewhere in Idaho Wyoming or Montana. Poky has recently caught my eye. Would you mind expanding a bit on the "stubborn conservative voice" there?
What do you think it means?
People with firm political beliefs seldom change them. They hang onto them, and are ready to argue for them if need be.

That should already be very clear to anyone these days.

Old 11-07-2020, 05:27 PM

524 posts, read 152,247 times
@ banjomike: "What do you think it means?
People with firm political beliefs seldom change them. They hang onto them, and are ready to argue for them if need be.

That should already be very clear to anyone these days."

"Conservative" means different things to different people. It sounded like pnwguy2 didn't have a good experience of the people he thought of as conservatives. If you don't mind, I'd like to get a flavor of the conversations he had, and of the Idaho criteria for judging "conservative" or "liberal".

Around my neck of the woods, the only people who dare argue for their political point of view are on the left. Publicly vocal staunch conservatives, if that's what we're talking about, will be a new experience for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls