U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 04:20 PM

716 posts, read 252,399 times

Advertisements

His post was about Idaho Falls. I was trying (and failing I guess) to say that towns that are farther away like Chubbock aren't that pertinent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 04:28 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,101,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyer View Post
His post was about Idaho Falls. I was trying (and failing I guess) to say that towns that are farther away like Chubbock aren't that pertinent.
Yes those places are a little further away.

Old 08-28-2020, 01:52 AM

25,683 posts, read 17,136,830 times
Quote:
FWIW, I first started visiting through the area in the 1990s when I lived in the Teton Valley (ID) to the east of there, I couldn't imagine myself living in Idaho Falls. It was a place to shop and go to the doctor. When I visit now three or four times a year I feel it has a lot going for it and I could live there. Of course what that means can be highly personal and I'm twenty-five years older But there are interesting and fun things to do, the crime rate is extremely low for its size, and the Tetons and other outdoor activities are a fairly short drive away. It's not a university town like Pocatello so the good (and bad) aspects of that are missing, but still.
Actually, I.F. is now a university town. The Eastern Idaho Technical College is now an accredited 4-year school, but the campus still has no dorms. It may never have them, I reckon.

Old 08-30-2020, 07:48 PM

7,626 posts, read 5,319,425 times
Well, I guess by definition IF is now a college town but pales to Boise, Moscow, Pocatello and Rexburg. (Boise State, U of Idaho, Idaho State U, BYU Idaho, for those not familiar).

Old 08-30-2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Well, I guess by definition IF is now a college town but pales to Boise, Moscow, Pocatello and Rexburg. (Boise State, U of Idaho, Idaho State U, BYU Idaho, for those not familiar).
Yup. But it's a fully 21st century college that wasn't structured on the 19th century model like Moscow and Pocatello.
For a very long time, BSU was only a 2-year Junior college, as was Ricks College in Rexburg. BSU grew along with Boise, and is only a powerhouse college because Boise is a powerhouse city in the state.

Ricks College only became Brigham University Idaho because the original BYU in Provo couldn't grow any larger; its size was constrained by Provo's growth.
So, at a time when the LDS church's missionary effort was at its largest, and the church had far too many returning missionaries who wanted to get a degree from a church college, along with getting married, the LDS leaders decided to use Ricks to relieve the pressure on BYU in Provo by making Ricks a full university.

Unlike Provo, BYUI was designed to better accommodate young married couples. So many students at Provo transferred there after they married.

And Rexburg became a college town. It runs out that once a couple begins having children, they don't want to move once the kids are in school. So they find jobs and stay put. And that's how Rexburg's population suddenly boomed.

Who knows? EITC is a college designed to meet the technical needs of the energy industry specifically, and Idaho Falls is emerging as a leading advanced energy city. The present campus is more constrained than BYU in Provo, so it can't grow much larger in its facilities.

But there's nothing to say the city couldn't build another campus on land where expansion is possible. If Idaho Falls booms like Boise did, I think EITC could become very similar to BSU in size.

The present campus wouldn't be a white elephant, either. the buildings are still new enough that a very large company that's looking to re-locate here fast could snap it up and move right in to a fully ready business campus.
Such a sale could be enough to build a newer, more expandable college elsewhere in town, at little or no taxpayer cost, I think. it would all depend on the timing, the needs of the moment, and our ability to respond to them.

Idaho Falls is pretty good at responding to changing needs. But we also do things our own way. So if we want to become a college town in the traditional sense, we can and will.

I expect EITC will become the new model for our state's university system. Specialized universities like ours offers a less expensive education that can easily fill the needs of industry while overcoming our state college's problems.

The U of Idaho has suffered student loss for a long time due to its remoteness. It's specialties- the School of Forestry and School of Mines, are both serving faded industries that are no longer prominent in our state industry.

But, for example, if the U of Idaho was to become the state's only medical university, offering full MD degrees, it could easily flourish and grow like topsy.

The only state in the intermountain west that offers MD degrees is Utah. Moscow could pull in students from every surrounding state who want to be medical doctors, and Moscow itself could become a leading medical center city once a coupe of advanced teaching hospitals were built.

In our rapidly growing state, the need for med centers is certainly there. Medicine is only one example of what specializing our colleges to the needs can do; agriculture is rapidly advancing technologically and is now changing in the elemental way we think of farming.

If Idaho was to create a specialized College of Agriculture that was designed to experiment with all the new thoughts about how we feed ourselves while preparing students who have the ability to meet the demands of the newest advanced technology, Idaho could become the only state in the west that's meeting those needs.

And right now, Idaho's already doing it in a piecemeal fashion, with a school here and one there sort of dabbling with it. It's hard to imagine how much prosperity is possible if there was a modern, unified, purpose-driven, specialized College of Agriculture built in this state.

For sure, it would be much better than trying to play catch-up to all the established industries and universities that serve those industries. Idaho won't ever be another California in the computer industry. It won't ever be a big oil state like Texas, nor a leader in Space like Florida.
All those states have to much of a head-start on us. There's too much establishment to ever catch up to.

But we could sure become as wealthy and as prominent if we were to capitalize our education system and coordinate it with our present greatest industrial strengths; agriculture and energy.

Old 08-31-2020, 11:00 AM

716 posts, read 252,399 times
It strikes me that IF is still closely linked to INEEL or whatever it is calling itself these days. Many less gov. workers than in the heyday, but a lot of higher paid contractors? Seems like EITC could continue to leverage that proximity.

Old 08-31-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
It strikes me that IF is still closely linked to INEEL or whatever it is calling itself these days. Many less gov. workers than in the heyday, but a lot of higher paid contractors? Seems like EITC could continue to leverage that proximity.
Yes. The INL remains very closely linked to Idaho Falls.

Importantly, since the time it was called the INEEL, the lab has also increased it's prominence in our national laboratories.
Back when it was called the INEEL, the lab was almost a forgotten step-sister to the government. That era was the time when all the nuclear weapons labs in New Mexico were still getting all the funding and govt. attention.

Nowadays, the INL is the top dog, due to its fundamental role as a testing and safety-oriented laboratory.

It's grown in size as its national importance has increased over the past 20 years, and its presence has made it Idaho's advanced tech center. There are now more workers, contractors, and spin-off companies here than before.

All this is only the beginning of much bigger things that are in the works and may soon follow very soon.

It's all energy-related. That's why the EITC, our new 4-year tech-specialized college, could become one of Idaho's most prominent colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls