Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2021, 07:43 AM

8 posts, read 9,305 times

Advertisements

I've never been to southern Idaho, but I may have an upcoming opportunity in IF or Poky.

Dual sport motorcycle riding is a top priority for me. Which one offers better access to back country trails or fire roads? How long of a ride would it take to get to decent trails from either city?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2021, 02:52 PM

168 posts, read 174,061 times
At what time of year? Many of south eastern Idaho's backroads and trails are snow covered well into May, and some don't clear enough for riding until June sometime.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:50 PM

8 posts, read 9,305 times
Summer months - or, which ever months that type of riding is possible in SE Idaho.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:45 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Don't expect to get an enthusiastic warm welcome as you tear up and damage the hiking trails and destroy the peace and quiet.

Old 04-15-2021, 01:19 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,522 times
Dual sport motorcycling is not so much about running on hiking trails and off road. Dual sport riding and motorcycles are 'dual sport' in that they get used on paved roads as well as gravel roads. Most dual sport riders I have known are not into trail riding per se, but want to tour on more remote roads.

My first inclination is to pick Poky for this one. IF is out in a flat area. How much of the hills and mountains immediately around Poky are public roads, I'd have to research, but there are mountains pretty much right there around Poky but as much not immediately around IF.

There are some pretty long and remote gravel roads east of Poky, heading over towards the WY border. Head towards Soda Springs and then north along ID34to the bend in the road of Wynan, and you will be an area with a lot of long gravels roads; some of them stretch for more than 50 miles. It is a remote area so go well prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls