U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:59 AM

130 posts, read 396,116 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised near the Hanford Nuclear Reservation.

Other having to get my thyroid tested every year, not to mention my glowing personality, I don't seem to have suffered any ill effects.

Of course there is always the potential for disaster, but disaster comes in all forms. I'm more worried about rocks falling on me, frankly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 08:25 AM

28 posts, read 82,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJA View Post
This is NOT good for idaho. The byproducts created during the uranium enrichment process will hurt us and our children!. "About 90 percent of the uranium enrichment process is depleted uranium enrichment hexa fluoride, which is volatile when it's exposed to the elements," said Andrea Shipley, with the Snake River Alliance. The alliance says if the depleted uranium hexa fluoride is exposed to moisture it releases a highly corrosive gas that can damage kidneys and lungs and even prove fatal.
And what is the risk of that happening? The mere fact that bad things are possible most certainly does not lead to the conclusion that the plant is net disadvantageous. We balance risks all the time. Driving can kill you. Swimming can kill you. Eating food can kill you. Using electricity can kill you. The issue is not the range of possible bad things that could happen. The issue is whether the risk-adjusted weight of the bad things outweights the risk-adjusted benefits. Your post makes absolutely no attempt to perform that analysis. Consequently, I have to dismiss it as mere fear mongering. Not only that, but gases disapate incredibly fast. Why don't you go ahead and do the math indicating what levels of gas release would be necessary to harm people in Idaho Falls.

Quote:
It will take highly skilled workers to run the plant. They say the hiring will come from the local areas. How many people DO YOU know in Idaho, with the skill on running a uranium enrichment plant?
This is argument is flawed on a few levels. First, it's argument from ignorance. You're essentially saying that you and possibly others don't know who would work there, the plant is a bad idea. Your ignorance is not evidence that bad things will happen. Second, you're overspecifying the requirements. While people may not have experience with uranium enrichment plants, there are many people with engineering and nuclear materials experience who work or worked at the INL. How could that not be painfully obvious? Third, workers can be trained.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseIdahoNative View Post
My number one question is where all of the NUCLEAR WASTE is going to be disposed of? Will it be stored in Idaho?
What nuclear waste? Nuclear waste is what happens after the fuel has been used.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJA View Post
...it appears to have started in the 70's and continues to this day...passing by train right by our homes, every day.
It's stored in some of the strongest, most durable shipping containers humans have ever invented. They're specifically designed to not leak their contents even after high speed crashes into solid objects like concrete walls or rock faces.

Quote:
There are alternatives to nuclear energy. Solar, wind are just two. I have seen three wind turbines off I-84W. Idaho could lead on those alternatives. The reason we are not, in my opinion, is that there wont be money made by the same people who are dumping radioactive waste in our back yards.
A couple comments. First, solar is incredibly expensive. I live in Arizona now, and it's expensive even here. It's about 50% more expensive than the prevailing mixed-source power supply. It would be even more expensive in Idaho which is less sunny. Second, wind is erratic and expensive. Furthermore, your NIMBYism would almost certainly kick in and oppose windmills as eyesores. After that, you'd whine about all the birds the windmills would kill. Third, your appeal to financial conspiracies is wholly speculative. If you have evidence, let's see it. If you don't, what good is your claim? But two can play this game. I think YOU are an agent of the wind and solar industry. I think you're being paid to foster fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) so that you can attract public support for subsidies (read: corporate welfare) for wind and solar, which would make big buckets of money for your employers. Prove that you aren't a covert propaganda agent.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:23 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,977,358 times
Thumbs up Good Info - Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiusaz View Post
It's stored in some of the strongest, most durable shipping containers humans have ever invented. They're specifically designed to not leak their contents even after high speed crashes into solid objects like concrete walls or rock faces.

A couple comments. First, solar is incredibly expensive. I live in Arizona now, and it's expensive even here. It's about 50% more expensive than the prevailing mixed-source power supply. It would be even more expensive in Idaho which is less sunny. Second, wind is erratic and expensive. Furthermore, your NIMBYism would almost certainly kick in and oppose windmills as eyesores. After that, you'd whine about all the birds the windmills would kill. Third, your appeal to financial conspiracies is wholly speculative. If you have evidence, let's see it. If you don't, what good is your claim? But two can play this game. I think YOU are an agent of the wind and solar industry. I think you're being paid to foster fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) so that you can attract public support for subsidies (read: corporate welfare) for wind and solar, which would make big buckets of money for your employers. Prove that you aren't a covert propaganda agent.
mobiusaz,

I appreciate you posting here. I hope more who are educated about nuclear work will do the same. I appreciate your posts as you have made points printed in copyrighted media I couldn't post here.

The estimated influx to IDAHO's economy in general from this investment is substantial. Not only the regular jobs, construction jobs and support services, but the other work or spin offs etc. that will become Idaho businesses due to Areva.

Plus, while GNEP is a no-go for now, apparently, the House increased the funding for the new generation (IV) reactor to be built at INL.

Are you aware of CAES and its mission?

Thanks again.

MSR

Old 07-15-2008, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,924 times
Wink Reply

Hey I work with a company that had alot to do with bringing Areva to Southeast Idaho. There isnt any nuclear waste. Areva is only enriching the uranium to send to the site for them to use in their reactors. Thats where the waste is comming from. The INL will not be using more enriched uranium once the plant is built, it will just be alot closer to transport and ALOT cheaper to purchase. Any waste that does come from enriching the uranium, there are a couple of companies that are going to use the "tailings" to make different heavy duty metal products.

Many many different contractors, mines, pavers, communications, rad-con tecs, plumbers, real estate agents, hevay duty machinery, power companies, ect. have contacted myself looking for information on how to contact Areva because of the great economic impact there going to have here. An estimated 5.1 BILLION dollars dumped into the local economy?!? That will do wonders anywhere.... especially somewhere that has a very low cost of living..... like here!

With HUNDREDS of very qualified people to run and take care of this plant is one of the best things that could of came to Idaho Falls.

Oh and by the the Snake River Alliance is a group of people that cant figure out what their company really means, fighting a LOOOOOSSSSSIIIIINNNNNGGGGG battle against nuclear power and going against wind power in Wolverine? In thier mission statement they say they find responsible solutions to nuclear waste and contamination, and sustainable alternatives to nuclear power. And exactly what part of the statement have they done? Cant really think of anything..... all I can think is all they've taken care of the complaining and bitching and moaning. Im not trying to be mean but all the people that auctually listen and believe anything that comes out of that office. Just graduating from University of Idaho with an Environmental Science degree im not trying to sound like pro nuke guy, i love hugging trees! But im just saying Snake River Alliance needs to pull theirs heads out of thier cute little flower patches and try to learn all the facts, not just thier facts.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:24 PM

5 posts, read 24,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiusaz View Post
What nuclear waste? Nuclear waste is what happens after the fuel has been used.
Is this a serious question???

Are you saying that Uranium Enrichment does not produce Depleted Uranium or any other type of radioactive waste? I can't believe I even have to respond to this.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:50 PM

5 posts, read 24,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallgood423 View Post
There isnt any nuclear waste. Areva is only enriching the uranium to send to the site for them to use in their reactors.

....Any waste that does come from enriching the uranium, there are a couple of companies that are going to use the "tailings" to make different heavy duty metal products.
there isn't any nuclear waste...there is waste...make up your mind. Let me help you...THERE IS nuclear waste that comes from Uranium Enrichment. Depleted Uranium for one.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:57 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,977,358 times
Thumbs up A New Name for the Idaho Falls Areva Plant

I'm happy to see some interest in this post from people in different locations.

I was interested to hear, while watching some of the Olympics, that France is now powered with 80% Nuclear Energy.

For those who haven't heard, the Idaho Falls Areva facility has already been given a new name. The new name not only honors the City of Idaho Falls by using the original name of the city, "Eagle Rock," while also honoring much about the western U.S., IMHO.

Eagle Rock Uranium Enrichment Facility is explained well by Dan in his Idaho Samizdat: Nuke Notes blog.
Idaho Samizdat: Nuke Notes: Areva plucks name of Idaho Falls site from history

Additionally, I've read Areva is opening offices soon in Skyline, I believe. Skyline is on the west side of Idaho Falls and obviously much closer to where the Areva plant will be built 18 miles west of Idaho Falls.

For those of us who believe Areva opening this plant in Idaho is a major win for Idaho and Idaho Falls area, it appears from several recent press releases they are on schedule to start building in 2011.

Please update this thread if you see news releases about the Eagle Rock plant. This is still huge news for eastern Idaho, the technology corrider, the universities parterning with INL and Idaho Falls. This thread is one of the top found in a simple Google search. It is always nice to have recent news for readers to review.

Thanks,

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 08-25-2008 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: Correction

Old 08-26-2008, 10:54 PM

20 posts, read 87,351 times
Here's a link to the NRC's FAQs about uranium enrichment plants. It answers numerous questions about hazardous byproducts, waste disposal, etc:

NRC: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About Gas Centrifuge Enrichment Plants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls