Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:40 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times

Advertisements

There will be an official press conference in Boise at 10:00 a.m. MST to announce the Areva, Inc. from France, has selected a site west of Idaho Falls to build their new $2 BILLION dollar uranium enrichment plant! This is great news for all of Idaho!

While only adding 200-250 permanent jobs, the construction jobs, the suport services this company will need and probably most importantly, the recognition that eastern ID is becoming a major energy corrider is HUGE!

Anyone will be able to find more info about this in 12 hrs. However, for those who need to read something for themselves, try this link: Areva plans to build $2 billion uranium plant in Idaho - International Herald Tribune

Good job IDAHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 02:49 PM

40 posts, read 215,869 times
Great news! Can't wait to see how it affects the economy here, jobs, etc. Hope they bring some nice-paying, insured jobs to the area. I was really surprised, I thought for sure another state would beat out Idaho. Now the debate begins on whether that type of plant is good/safe for us or not. Cheers!

Old 05-06-2008, 06:20 PM

993 posts, read 3,252,843 times
I can only imagine with all the inherent safety precautions taken to enrich materials it will be a win win deal for Eastern Idaho.
After construction is completed an army of monitors from ground water to airborn particles will be in place to ensure compliance with all things safe.
Great deal for Idaho

Old 05-07-2008, 06:24 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Talking More Details, Some Links for More Info

A lot more information available now about Areva's plans. The technical work force may include up to 300 people. Avera plans to contribute water to the Snake River Plain Aquifer, plus generate its own power.

The NRC must of course approve this license. Avera would be the third uranium enrichment plant in the U.S. Instead of renewing a contract with Russia, that expires in 2013, Avera has decided to invest in the U.S. to generate energy. They are building a similar facility in France. Areva already has other U.S. energy businesses spread throughout the nation. Perhaps others can tell us more, if they know.

All of the local tv channels have info: KIDK CBS 3 - News, Weather and Sports - Idaho Falls - Pocatello - Blackfoot, ID - Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Blackfoot - Idaho, LocalNews8.com Idaho Falls, Pocatello - Weather, News, Sports - Home and NBC Newschannel 6 Where News Comes First - Home. The Post Register, the Idaho Falls newspaper is by subscription only. However, I suspect given their very detailed front page cover today the AP will have condensed version out later.

The Idaho Statesman had a fairly detailed report. However, some of the comments that followed really surprised me. Boise could have a major role in manufacturing needed supplies etc. If the posts are reflective of Treasure Valley residents in general, then eastern ID along with suppliers in UT will most likely build new businesses or expand to meet the needs.

Here is the Statesman's link: Areva picks E. Idaho for $2 billion uranium enrichment plant | News Updates | Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsupdates/story/372947.html - broken link)

To be clear, The Post Register, Grow Idaho Falls, Mayor Furhiman and others were told Monday night. However, the official AP breaking news was made on Tuesday.

Construction is anticipated to start in 2011 and require 1000 workers. One of the more interesting aspects of this plant to me, are what Lea County, NM has expired in growth building one of the other two similar facilities. Not just in population, but in area and regional businesses growing to support demands/services for the new facility. I expect the same in Idaho Falls.

Additionally, CAES was built to teach an international pool of students. Some say the applicant pool is already overflowing and the physical building isn't finished yet. Now more countries, let alone U.S. states are reviewing or learning about INL for the first time. British Nuclear Fuels has been a long-time collaborator at INL. Now France will have a facility 18 miles west of Idaho Falls. What other foreign countries will be next to want to establish or work in conjunction with INL? And will the U.S. Gov't FINALLY commit the funding and necessary resources for INL to continue to be the lead Nuclear Lab in the U.S. now? The 4th generation nuclear reactor should be built at INL.

Apparently, new requests to review the Bonneville County facilities and area from other companies are coming in already. Even Mayor Chase in Pocatello, had something positive to say about Areva's decision to locate in Idaho. I guess that means Areva is a homerun at least for eastern ID, when Mayor Chase can say something positive about the Idaho Falls area.

As the need for a construction crew of 1,000 workers, plus 250-300 technical employees, starting at a base salary of $65K, the economic impact is very large not only for Idaho Falls and eastern ID. It could be for the entire state.

If anyone doubts the economic impact and the interest of other companies looking at the area, read what Lea County, NM has experienced building a similar uranium enrichment plant for Louisiana Power.

Congratulations to all involved in securing this huge addition for Idaho Falls, and ID!

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 05-07-2008 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: corrected URL

Old 05-10-2008, 12:56 AM

10 posts, read 40,552 times
Default Toxic Waste

This is NOT good for idaho. The byproducts created during the uranium enrichment process will hurt us and our children!. "About 90 percent of the uranium enrichment process is depleted uranium enrichment hexa fluoride, which is volatile when it's exposed to the elements," said Andrea Shipley, with the Snake River Alliance. The alliance says if the depleted uranium hexa fluoride is exposed to moisture it releases a highly corrosive gas that can damage kidneys and lungs and even prove fatal.

It will take highly skilled workers to run the plant. They say the hiring will come from the local areas. How many people DO YOU know in Idaho, with the skill on running a uranium enrichment plant? There is money to be made by politicians (Craig) and others with no interests in Idaho at the cost of the people in Idaho and the beauty of the rivers and mountains.

This is NOT a good idea at all.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:19 PM

5 posts, read 25,164 times
Angry Economic Impact vs. Health/Safety

I understand the economics, but I'm worried about our health/safety.

My number one question is where all of the NUCLEAR WASTE is going to be disposed of? Will it be stored in Idaho?

Second, will the plant emit any radioactive materials? I know that dangerous gases such as xenon, krypton, argon, and tritium are easily inhaled, and could affect residents living near by.

Third, we are currently at war and Nuclear plants are inviting targets. One incident could leave an entire region uninhabitable for years. What extra extra precautions would be established to protect the plant from attack?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:54 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJA View Post
This is NOT good for idaho. The byproducts created during the uranium enrichment process will hurt us and our children!. "About 90 percent of the uranium enrichment process is depleted uranium enrichment hexa fluoride, which is volatile when it's exposed to the elements," said Andrea Shipley, with the Snake River Alliance. The alliance says if the depleted uranium hexa fluoride is exposed to moisture it releases a highly corrosive gas that can damage kidneys and lungs and even prove fatal.

It will take highly skilled workers to run the plant. They say the hiring will come from the local areas. How many people DO YOU know in Idaho, with the skill on running a uranium enrichment plant? There is money to be made by politicians (Craig) and others with no interests in Idaho at the cost of the people in Idaho and the beauty of the rivers and mountains.

If we keep letting environmental groups shape our energy policy then we are never going to be energy independent. The fact is that we need more energy and this is a step in the right direction.

And even if most of the jobs are filled by people moving in it is still a boost to the local economy. Ultimately it will help everyone living in the area.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:24 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,105 times
Good thinking, Niners. I consider myself to be environmentally astute but I am not a radical in that area because energy independence will never happen if some very radical steps are not taken. I am very sure someone in the know has looked into possible problems, nuclear energy is not a new thing.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:49 AM

20 posts, read 93,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJA View Post

The Snake Rive Alliance consists of a bunch of slightly knowledgeable fear mongers who prefer to adopt a "don't confuse me with the facts" attitude toward anything remotely connected to nuclear energy. You should do your own research and ignore this bunch of left-wingnuts. A modern enrichment plant will have extremely tight controls on the highly toxic materials involved and the tight security to go along with it. As for skilled workers - this is east Idaho. Ever heard of the INL? There are literally THOUSANDS of qualified workers here and more to come with the new Idaho State nuclear technical programs. Finding qualified people is of little concern.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:03 PM

5 posts, read 25,164 times
Default Nuclear Waste

Sorry to ask the question again, but can anyone answer where all of the nuclear waste will be disposed of? Will it be stored in Idaho?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls