Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:59 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times

Advertisements

Personally, if what I posted above was to come about, I really hope Idaho Falls and Bonneville County does some very careful and comprehensive planning beforehand. I'm Idahoan to the bone, and I would hate to see Idaho Falls end up like Silicon Valley!
We are in a new century, but sprawl here continues on, as if it was still 1965. Way too much of the best farm land has already been paved over or cut up into little pieces for residential divisions full of over-wasteful, over-large houses.
We still have no good means of recycling here that make it easy for homeowners and for collection.

Idaho Falls is still too car-centric. When gas hits $5.00 and stays there, as it surely will, there is no new planning for the big differences that will surely come for folks who need to get to work every day.

Arriva's arrival (good alliteration, huh?) provides I.F. the opportunity to get ahead of the curve for a change. All we need are some folks who are committed to looking ahead, not backward. We have the time to do it, and that's a luxury that can either be used well or totally squandered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 07:33 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Great posts everyone. Thanks for taking the time to discuss different aspects of what will change in Eastern Idaho when Areva arrives.

I share all of the hopes and also hope there is strong city/county planning starting yesterday. Yes, Areva could change a lot of things.

For the record, I'd rather have nuclear than so many more coal plants. How many miners have we lost in the U.S. the last year? How many deaths from nuclear? Nuclear is a better fit for many reasons, IMHO. I'm also an eastern Idaho native. I'm not afraid of rumors about nucleaer plants.

As you see new info about the progress Areva is making, please post. I think these discussions are useful. One never knows who may be designing a spin off or supply business currently so they can propose their company to Areva.

Keep up the great discussion..

MSR

Old 05-23-2010, 11:19 PM

291 posts, read 669,622 times
Within 60 miles of my house I have a nuclear power plant (San Onofre), wind farms and a couple large solar plants. All seem to be an improvement over burning fossil fuels to generate power.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:37 PM

161 posts, read 396,504 times
Nuclear energy is safe and efficient. And for the carbon footprint junkies, it makes a very little one. For some reason, there is a lot of paranoia along with it. It generates >70% of electricity in France. No horror stories from France...maybe their politics, but not from their energy policies.

Here's an interesting link on nuclear energy and deaths related compared to other sources of energy.
Safety of Nuclear Reactors

As for uranium enrichment, I don't know much about it...We have been doing this for decades. Pretty sure a new state-of-the-art facility will have taken all those bad things into account! But this is a very interesting thread!

P.S. As a side note, the depleted uranium makes for great bullets in our military! Seen what an A-10 can do to a tank with those?

Old 05-24-2010, 01:36 PM

84 posts, read 233,781 times
Uranium enrichment basically is the removal of U-238 from uranium found in it's natural state, leaving a higher % of U-235.

The "waste" generated is U-238, or "depleted Uranium", which is mostly used to create munitions (bullets), and to a lesser degree, is used as ballast (for a LOT of things). It's not "nuclear waste" in the normal context... it's more like "functional waste", and the U-238 "waste" is radioactive to a small enough degree that it's effectiely safe to use in public, as long as it isn't ingested or inhaled.

That means you shouldn't heat it up or use an angle grinder on it... the "dust" from grinding/sanding it would be dangerous, but in perspective, the vapors/dust from grinding or heating the Zinc coating on galvanized steel is FAR worse for you, so for the vast majority of the world, it's perfectly safe, and for those who it presents a hazard to, galvanized steel would present more of a hazard, and generally, those folks know the danger and can take precautions.

I am exposed to DU occasionally, because I'm military, and like everything else in the military, it's taught, re-taught, then taught some more until you get sick of hearing about it

A uranium enrichment plant is less dangerous as a gas/oil refinery, and performs a very similar function by producing fuel for nuclear reactors.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:57 PM

Lightbulb This Thread is Open to Anyone, Not Just Idaho Residents

Thanks for the posts. Let's keep this discussion going - open to anyway (regardless of location) as energy is such a key issue right now.

Ideas from all sides are welcome, the only posts we don't want are political because that will force this thread to be moved to a political thread away from Idaho. This is an issue for people in the U.S. and other countires.

I have my own political feelings about who has helped and who has not, but they serve NO purpose here to try to share information with others.

Keep up the good work everyone. It's especially helpful when there are links for more information and personal experiences share.

MSR

Old 05-30-2010, 01:36 PM

599 posts, read 5,730,615 times
It sure seems like an interesting time to join the INL!

Old 05-30-2010, 10:12 PM

34 posts, read 63,439 times
OK got to ask what is the INL?

Old 05-30-2010, 10:40 PM

599 posts, read 5,730,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITWorkerBee View Post
OK got to ask what is the INL?
Idaho National Laboratory - http://www.inl.gov

"INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's missions in nuclear and energy research, science, and national defense."

Old 06-22-2010, 12:31 AM

Default Eagle Rock Location

Avera-Idaho won't be at INL. It will be on the way to INL, but a separate location closer to Idaho Falls has been selected. It is documented in many places, but why not use Areva's information for accuracy....

The facilit will be 18 miles west of Idaho Falls.

From the Areva Blog:

"Eagle Rock Chosen as Top Project by Site Selection Magazine."

Eagle Rock Chosen as Top Project by Site Selection Magazine | AREVA North America: Next Energy Blog

Idaho Falls | AREVA North America: Next Energy Blog

Thanks for the continuing posts, it is interesting to read the information others share. I appreciate the manner all who have posted have kept this thread focused on Areva, Uranium, Nuclear Energy etc. and not about people. I also think the economic impact to the Idaho Falls area cannot be ignored.

I'm looking forward to reading more insightful posts by thoughtful readers.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls