Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2008, 12:58 PM

23 posts, read 57,776 times

Advertisements

Visited Idaho Falls this past weekend for a preliminary look see for relocation. We enjoyed our stay and love the area. Lots of subdivisions and Lots of homes for sale. Received little help from our Realtor. She will not admit it's a buyer's market. We would like to get the most bang for our buck. We have a budget of 300-400000. We want a 2000-3000 sq ft home with upgrades on at least one acre. There seems to be plenty of homes in that price range but all seem to be 3500-5000 sq ft. To buy or build? Inside IF city limits or in the county? Which part of town/county? Which subdivisions? Ammon? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 11:41 PM

5,323 posts, read 18,233,991 times
Alot of where you want to wind up, depends on whether or not you have school aged children to consider the schools.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:30 AM

No school age children. Just my wife & I, 4 dogs, 1 cat and a bird.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:41 AM

5,323 posts, read 18,233,991 times
Four dogs? You want to build in the county, not in a subdivision either as the limit without a non-commercial kennel license for the area (Bonneville County) is two.

Typically, they don't bother you unless of course you get barking complaints or a neighbor with a bug up their hind end. You obviously decrease the chances by going out into the unincorporated areas. Having said that, the areas are becoming more and more built up each year with new subdivisions so that lessens your chance.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:43 PM

Two of the dogs will probably stay on the family farm with daughter and son-in-law.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:06 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,403,755 times
Question More Rural 8B County, West side of Idaho Falls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftymainer View Post
Two of the dogs will probably stay on the family farm with daughter and son-in-law.
Is that a farm in the Idaho Falls area, or elsewhere? Placement of pets may influence your choices.

If you really do want about an acre of land, then Bonneville County is the only way to go. I can't even think where you could buy an acre in Idaho Falls for a home, and certainly not at the price range you indicated.

In reviewing some recent data about homes for sale, days on the market etc., I have to say I agree with your realtor. I'm not a realty expert, but I can add the number of homes for sale, with their features. Additionally, I see how many new permits are being issued for new developments and other homes. I certainly didn't see a surplus of homes with 1 acre, in the price range you indicated, and the sq. ft. you would like to have.

Maybe it depends on the $ amount you have in mind for a house vs. land. You may get a home with an acre of land somewhere in the Ucon, Lincoln or perhaps Iona area. However, I'm not sure Iona is still that affordable for an acre of land and the house you desire. An acre of land in Ammon or south of Idaho Falls won't be cheap. And it sounds like you potentially saw the larger homes available in Ammon or Idaho Falls, which won't meet your desires.

I honestly have to say, for what you want, I don't think there are that many combinations of homes/land for sale in your price range. Maybe in more rural Bonneville County, although so much land has already been purchased for development or other. You may be better off to build, but can you get the size of home you want, given the acre you desire?

Did you look in west Idaho Falls, probably west of Bellin Road? You possibly could find an acre of land there with a residence, or just an acre that would allow you to build a new home.

Good luck finding what works for you! I'm sure you'll find the right property, I just can't think of where, given the specific house size and one acre of property that will be what you want, you'll find it. But, it only takes one right "fit" to make everything work. I hope you find it soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: